The Haul: April 2017

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by RaZorBurn123, Mar 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Found another brush at a shop. Debating picking it up to try and restore. How are hard are they to get apart.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

RyX and jimjo1031 like this.
  2. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Finding tons of neat stuff.... no fatboys though.[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Drygulch, Jim99, Gnomeo0228 and 9 others like this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Honestly, they can be hard or just a little bit easier. Some use a double boiler type system to steam the knots loose, while I use a rotary tool with a small drill bit and start from the center and spiral my way towards the ferrule edge, after cutting the knot flush first. Sometimes using a sanding drum to remove what's left, if it's still in there. If your serious about it, look up videos on Youtube on restoring shave brushes and see what it involves.

Jim99, mrchick and RyX like this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

DeHaven Diplomat. With a Tom White DeHaven Adapter for a standard injector this is a beautiful thing. Judging by the condition of the hone barely if ever used.[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hodge, Enrico, Drygulch and 10 others like this.
  5. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Mariana Cottage Hometown Hero & Southern Gentleman soaps, and Treet Super blades
    [​IMG]

6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

This lot showed up in the mail today. Two of the razors have some potential for restoration. The top one labeled G C Co Germany appears to be a low quality razor, but is in almost new shape. The second one is a W H Morley & Sons Clover Brand that looks like it will clean up nicely. The third one is a Frederick Reynolds that also looks like it will clean up nicely. The last one is a George Wostenholm & Son Pipe razor that has lots of hone wear.
    This was one of those deals where it happened to pop up with what I thought was a ridiculously low BIN and I jumped on it minutes after it was listed. I'm very happy with the potential here.
    [​IMG]

7. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

The flea market was a bust today, but a favorite local antique store (where I NEVER score shaving gear) yielded a nice harvest.
    $19 for the whole group. They all cleaned up nicely and seem to function perfectly. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

8. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Great score

SharptoothC likes this.
  9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That's a nice harvest indeed!
    :happy096:

SharptoothC likes this.
  10. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Today I received my order from the Italian Barber:

RazoRock Polished Titanium HALO 85mm Handle - Back in stock!
    Barrister and Mann Petrichor Shaving Soap
    Barrister and Mann Petrichor Aftershave Splash

I wanted to try the Titanium handle on the R41 since the standard handle looks nice, but just doesn't offer enough grip.

Never tried a B&M product and the Petrichor offering looked intriguing. The scent off the soap smells great and I can't wait to try this and the aftershave tomorrow.
    Steve

IMG_5198.jpg
    IMG_5199.jpg
    IMG_5201.jpg

Hodge, Enrico, AGHisBBS and 11 others like this.
  11. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0333.JPG IMG_0335.JPG IMG_0336.JPG
    Okay guys, on my abbreviated trip to the fleamarket I picked this up for $2. What have I got?

Enrico, AGHisBBS, Linuxguile and 10 others like this.
  12. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

mrchick, RyX, John Beeman and 3 others like this.
  13. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Thanks for that.

14. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

15. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Stirling Dunshire and Sandpiper aftershaves with menthol. Included was a sample of Piacenza bath soap.

IMG_1451.JPG

16. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I had one like it, mine was gold and had a gold tip at the end of the handle.
    It did ok (mild if i remember), seemed light.
    Not my favored simply because the blades cost more, and they don't seem like they last very long.
    The SE's I've used are easy to find the angle with.
    I'd guess yours was from the 40s or 50s.

17. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Agreed. Great find! I love my GEMS.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

PLAla likes this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Dollar Tree is now carrying big size styptics, exactly like Pinaud had but went on clearance and disappeared recently (at least in my area). Marked made in China. Looks identical, even the plastic tube and cap...I have no reason to doubt they're the same, repackaged stock. Even the hanger card is the same, just different graphics.

19. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

I got three new brushes this past Saturday. I had to wait until I got to work today so that I could adjust the size of the photo's so that they would post. The first from left to right is from Target, a Vie-Long 12601 with the Cremo name on it. The knot with my caliper measures about 20.5mm x 53mm. I have yet to use it though I did clean it with borax, dish soap, shampoo and then some Arko Soap(I like soap smell). Then the other two from Maaseto Shaving from the Bay. The middle brush is his synthetic fiber brush. I measure it at about 25mm x 54mm. I have not used this one yet either. I am disappointed that I can only shave but once a day. The last one inline is his Fan Shaped in Finest Badger. It's a BIG boy and a hell of a lather hog. I used it this morning and had to go back to the soap because somewhere between my lather bowl and my face the lather disappeared. The jury is still out on if it is too big or not. I have only used it once so it is to early to tell. The measurements I got on this one were 31.25mm x 50.5mm but it is a very nice dense knot. All in all it was Christmas at my house this weekend.

Brushes #1.jpg

Brushes #3.jpg

SpeedyPC, RyX, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  20. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Target sells cremo brushes in store?

RyX likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.