April 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 31, 2017.

?

Are you using a theme for April? And - which adjustable if you're going there?

1. Arko baby!!!!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Arko and an adjustable - even better!!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. Fatboy

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Slim

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Black Beauty

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. Futur

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. Soviet Ideal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Soviet Consul

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. Schick Adjustable

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  10. No theme - just me, my razor and some COOKIES!

27 vote(s)
    77.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Route 66 is my favorite soap. I squeeze out a wet brush leaving it damp. It doesn't take long to load a brush, maybe ten swirls. I then start swirling the brush in my bowl. I add water a few drips at a time until I get the consistency I want. I end up adding quite a bit of water, as I like my lather fairly thin and slick when using a straight. Route 66 never disappoints.

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Sounds like you have the perfect focus for May. You going to join us as you master the Schick Repeaters.

3. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Speaking of Route 66. Another wonderful shave with a great after shave feel.
    SOTD
    Route 66 Sweeney Todd Soap
    B-400 Brush by Tom
    Herr & Co Western Kamisori
    Thayers WH
    Fine American Blend After Shave
    Have fun![​IMG]

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

That's the way I do it for face lathering. I like mine pretty thin when using AC razors like the Cobra or Mongoose. I can go with a thicker lather when using DE razors.

5. BearCWY

BearCWY Well-Known Member

I'll see what I can do :happy088:

6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I really really like the B, the C wasn't nearly as smooth, but that was the C1 open comb.

7. BearCWY

Well I'll report more when they arrive.

8. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Yes...the Shave Brush Racetrack.

9. Paul Turner

you should listen to the sound effect of bowling. OH YOU MEAN RELATIVE TO SHAVING???? Why dincha say that in the first place???? (nyuk nyuk)

10. Paul Turner

guy on the left looks like that fella Al Einstein.

11. Paul Turner

Hi Bear, I don't think I've had the pleasure(but perhaps I joined after you left???).

12. BearCWY

Greetings Paul, very well could be. Nice to meet you

13. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Yesterday was a lovely shave with the Fatboy and a new German Wilkie. Today, the Shave Gods decided I needed chastising...

April 25, 2017

Razor: Gem Featherweight
    Blade: Gem by Personna SS
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft 22
    Cream: KMF fragrance-free

Today's shave was a bit of a warm-up for MAYhem. Over the weekend, I ordered a pack of Dorco DN52 SE blades out of a morbid curiosity and with the idea of doing a Gem mini-focus next month. Based on what I've found on the forums, the Dorco SE blades do not come recommended and, even though they are marketed as shaving blades, may actually be box cutters that have been "promoted" to get them on the shelf. We'll see soon enough.

As for today's shave... the Gem SS blade had a couple of shaves on it but I assumed it was still usable. The shave itself was okay but not the most pleasant. The Featherweight is supposed to be a mild razor, but I had difficulty finding the proper angle was was distracted by the feel of the blade stops on my face. Upcoming experiments will probably use the 1912 instead.

Overall, I'd call this a CCS with a little heat from the Alum, but no blood. Meh!

14. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Sic 'Em Bear! (sorry, couldn't resist). Now I'm doing the gator chomp. (I'm already jonesing a bit for college football season. Summer is a long, hot haul down here and it hasn't even started yet.)

15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:happy096:

16. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Anybody got a line on empty soap tins/containers? I just bought a bunch of soaps from a guy clearing his den out, and several are refill pucks with no home. I'm open for suggestions, especially if they don't cost more to ship than the price of admission. I'd like something a little classier than glad bags or Tupperware, if possible.

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Doug.

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

https://www.maggardrazors.com/product/empty-6-oz-petg-soap-jars/

19. RyX

RyX DoH!

LE M&M's FTW are Meh. I like nuts. In my mouth. Doh...
    The strawberry is sort of artificial flavored, the peanuts and candy shell are SOP. Tried em, didn't particularly like, won't buy again.
    L.E.M&M's.gif

Thank you Andrew! I sent a couple pieces of cypress to @Sparrow for his own use. Never expected to receive a finished brush in return. While the shape looks odd, it fits my hand well. Now I'm going to look into tung oil finishes for my own woodworking projects.

20. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

1.jpg