Among the better artisans, there really isn't a bad shaving soap!

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Fly2High, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

i have been going through a variety of shaving soaps from the passaround box. I have tried Stirling, Dapper Dragon, Caties Bubbles , Mama Bear, Saponificio Varesino, Castle Forbes, Barrister &Mann, Trufitt & Hill to name a few. In addition to these, I have tried the king of shave soaps, Martin de Candre. All have their followers and with some level of tuning and decent water, they are all very good to excellent. I doubt you can go wrong with any of them.

Is this typical of most artisan soaps and big name soaps?

Have you found this also true?
    Have any disappointed?

Have I just been lucky or lack the ability to truly know what a good soap is?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

You answered your own question - you're dealing with the better artisans.
    There's a reason.

Shaver X, crackstar, RyX and 2 others like this.
  3. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Try Route 66 if you get the opportunity. @Salty Belle can make soap brother.

4. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Sure we all can have a bad experience or grab a scent we might not care for.

Just curious if I still need to attain the skill to either build lather that will show the differences or they are just too tight

crackstar and LOOT like this.
  5. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I grabbed some samples from the ones the vendor sent. I am looking forward to trying them as well. With all the great reviews, its got to be good

Paul Turner and crackstar like this.
  6. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

True. It's more a matter of avoiding the few bad ones out there. (And finding the right load plus water-to-soap ratio for each one, because this differs, and some soaps have a narrower sweet spot than others.)

For some people it's also a matter of avoiding allergens.

crackstar likes this.
  7. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Well, I tried Rt66 Cranberry Citrus and must have mucked up the water ratio because it was thin, slick and shiny but dissipated quickly. Being a sample, I grabbed what I had left and it did help but the typical teaspoon of water than is usually insufficient for Stirling and many others seems to be too much for a demitasse spoon of Rt66 soap (1-1.5 gr). Using more soap made it usable but it was not up to the Stirling or other better standards. I could not for the life of me get a full bowl of lather as well. All the soap I used and it would not build loft.

I have other Rt66 to try but I did not do them justice. Will need to try another Rt66 sample with very little water and start from there.

Paul Turner and crackstar like this.
  8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I won't mention any names but I came across an artisan who is no longer in business. His soaps were the worst I ever tried. I bought two of them and the scents were good, but the performance was terrible. I also paid way too much for them. It's possible that even Williams works better than these two pieces of junk.

9. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Theyre all pretty good, you will find that some soaps dry out your skin more than others.

brit likes this.
  10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

We're very luck right now, great products at very competitive pricing.

wristwatchb, TheFiveO and brit like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

i am happy with all my soaps/creams.will try new ones as i use them up.some i will reorder,others not.we have tons of great products today.makes good shaves better shaves. imagine if only williams existed today...

12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Arko!

wristwatchb likes this.
  13. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Artisan huh? ;)

Evyap.png

Keithmax and Halvor like this.
  14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I guess he was more of a scent-man than any other aspect of a shave soap.

15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

After my use of it this morning, I now look forward to trying a warm-weather brand. Course Arizona heat is drier than here.

16. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The soaps had good scents. One was lavender and the other was nondescript but it had a nice scent. The lather was no good at all.

17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

wristwatchb, Keithmax and Eeyore like this.
  18. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Kevin of Country Club for Men made me shave soap for my expensive Creed colognes Spice&Wood and Bois-du-Portugal. At the same time he began offering his own soaps on his site. I really enjoy the soaps he made and he is an expert at scenting them too. I even manged to get aftershaves and deodorant sticks of the same scents from him. All excellent. He's an ace at making this stuff. I wish he would expand his product lineup a bit more because he made great stuff. I think people should check out what he sells. People should ask him to make them some of the Spice&Wood or Bois-du-Portugal stuff. I want him to carry those scents permanently because he is the ONLY vendor I know of who can make soaps in those scents for my $300+ colognes and make them a convincing enough match that I can pair them and not even know anything different is at play. I would say that Kevin's soap that he made me reminds me a lot of PAA's soap.

https://countryclubformen.com/collections/vegan-shave-soaps

Keithmax likes this.
  19. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

I've been seriously loving Soap Commander as a fantastic artisan. I've especially loved their scentless. Integrity - an amazing latherer and new champ in my den. I've been diggin' non-tallow based soaps lately.

IMG_2459.JPG

20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Why you crackin on Williams? :prrr:

A lot more people would be loving the Williams goodness.:scared011:

Bama Samurai likes this.