April 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 31, 2017.

?

Are you using a theme for April? And - which adjustable if you're going there?

1. Arko baby!!!!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Arko and an adjustable - even better!!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. Fatboy

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Slim

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Black Beauty

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. Futur

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. Soviet Ideal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Soviet Consul

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. Schick Adjustable

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  10. No theme - just me, my razor and some COOKIES!

27 vote(s)
    77.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Good to see you back!

2. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Tonight was another satisfactory shave with the Schick E3, Maggard's 24mm Synthetic Brush, and Sudsy Soapery Almond and Vanilla soap. I shook the brush once to get a bit more water out, see if my lather would be a bit less runny. Still a bit too much. So tomorrow night I might shake it twice (but anymore then that means you're playing with it). Still it lathered well and didn't perform a disappearing act on me. Again with a full pass, a half pass, and that wonder concoction known as witch hazel for the touch up. I could tell a difference in the lather when it was a bit too watery and where it had some glide. Scent was present. Only a single nick during touch ups.

3. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

April 25 (Tuesday ) - alphabetical soaps

Rockwell 6s on plate #3 / Topaz Platinum ( 2 )
    Supply Provision synthetic brush
    Arko
    Alum and Thayers Witch Hazel Original

Having finished testing my creams before the month ended (without finding a bad one in the batch), I am moving on with my focus to trying out all of my soaps. I am therefore for one more day in line again with the group monthly Focus of Arko and an Adjustable!

Arko is the only shave stick I have and is also the only product I usually face lather. As usual, it was an easy lather and a good soap to use. I find it does dry out on my face faster than most other creams or soaps, but it remoistens easily and also the slickness remains even when the visible soap has been shaved off.

It's a good thing Arko works well for me, because according to @Bama Samurai's calculations, my 12-stick carton has enough left for at least 2395 days of shaving. (One carton smaller than a shoebox stashed in the basement would have kept a guy in shaving soap through all of WW2 and beyond...) I also think Arko might become one of my travel soaps since a stick and small synthetic brush are so easy to pack.

The shave itself was a good drama-free near-BBS as is becoming usual with the Rockwell 6s when paired with any decent shave product. And, as usual, I dumped the Topaz Platinum blade after tonight with two shaves on it. I don’t think the blade is "Bad" as defined a few posts earler in the thread, but I certainly wouldn't call it "Good", and once it has a couple shaves on it, it very quickly does go "Bad". I won't be getting any more once I have ground through the 100-pack I already have (at 79 and counting...)

4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Awesome April
    Day Twenty-Five

IMG_1336.JPG
    As Uncle @Screwtape mentions above, Arko is a very slick soap. It might dry a little faster than some other brands, but it is a professional product intended for SR shaves. And for that end, it is a very good soap. The value is simply unbeatable. This stick may last around 200 days....Glad I like the scent! Two passes to bliss, slow and really precise shave today, near BBS with the hero. Weather horrible here, pouring rain and cold, and the warm heroic finish was really nice. So far this has been a really good and fast moving month, I've really enjoyed getting back to Arko. The Arko Challenge will go on hiatus May 1-9 for an experiment inspired by the Fuzz himself, @wchnu , and as you might surmise, there will be Williams. Next month I will be in Alabama and Kentucky again. My niece (from brother) is ten months old now, and is being baptized in the Church the first Sunday in May. This of course necessitates a stop in Kentucky, because Kentucky! The Williams Water Project will be testing the soap in CO (literally hardest water in US), baby soft Kentucky well water, fairly soft Alabama river water and distilled for control. I did a month with Williams in 2015, and it was slick, but the lather always collapsed too fast. Plan on trying to master it this time! Five more great April shaves remain. Other than that... all is quiet in Colorado.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!
    :)

5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Nice avatar! :happy088:

6. Screwtape

Thanks. Paul Turner accidentally losing his in the other brush thread inspired me to look into what was needed to set one in the first place.

7. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Nice gear!
    I hate to ask but how much does all in the photo cost should someone want to replicate your shave?

8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Hey @BearCWY, I'm glad you rejoined the 30 Day Crew! Nice to meet you, sir!

1.jpg

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I approved that message.

10. Bama Samurai

Somebody needs to help him out. Gangster Churchill is perfect for him.

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Well what had happened was......
    Greets from Baton Rouge.

12. Bama Samurai

Blame it on a redhead.

Solved.

13. Bama Samurai

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That is clearly the answer!!

15. Bama Samurai

Always is, my brother, it always is.

16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

talkinabout me?

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

18. Screwtape

Only behind your back, O Avatarless One. Now that you're here, the talk will probably die down. :)

19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

how about a picture of a dog? I'll take anything.

20. Screwtape

Thanks. It seems to fit with the Zen of Shaving and coming here to relax. :)

Now if I could just remember who I originally stole it from... And who they said they stole it from...