Well that was...interesting (kidney stone)

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by gorgo2, Apr 26, 2017.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Late yesterday afternoon, out of nowhere, I had the joy of my first ever kidney stone. Now I understand that whole 1-10 pain scale they ask you about; before I don't think I'd ever topped 2-3. Today I'm laid up from work waiting to pass a 2 mm stone (haven't seen it yet anyway) and the CT scan revealed a 1 mm smaller version waiting in the same kidney.

Hoo boy.

battle.munky, AGHisBBS, RyX and 3 others like this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Good luck with that. Hope it goes fast.

gorgo2 likes this.
  3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Bloody hell mate!

gorgo2 likes this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

This too shall pass!

Until then, kidney stones are no laughing matter. Hang in there buddy.

gorgo2 likes this.
  5. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

They sometimes use ultrasound waves to shatter stones into dust. Were these too small for that treatment? Too big to be painless but too small to treat?

gorgo2 likes this.
  6. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Sure doesn't sound like a good way to take time off work. Hope it goes fast.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. It felt more like a kidney boulder. I hope it passes soon for you.

gorgo2 likes this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Been there, done that, 10 years ago. The only pain I have ever had, that made me puke. Now, I urinate often, and drink plenty of water. I don't want a repeat of that fun day.

RetLEO-07 and gorgo2 like this.
  9. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Ouch! Wishing you strength and a swift passage

gorgo2 likes this.
  10. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

Ouch. Went through that two years ago, except mine was 7 mm. They had to break it up with a sonic machine of some type.

Not recommended. Drink LOTS of water every day.

gorgo2 likes this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Wow! I hope everything goes well.

gorgo2 likes this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Been there twice...gird your loins, my friend. This too shall pass. (Pun intended)

gorgo2 likes this.
  13. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Remember, a roiling kidney gathers no stones.

gorgo2 likes this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Not a doctor, but the Ex had problems in this. Some can be sonic blasted. Others reduced and passed by dietary changes and medication.

gorgo2 likes this.
  15. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I have been to the rodeo a few times. It's not fun at all. Folks say drink lots of water. Here is my advice. Get a 1QT water bottle. Fill it up and drink it down in one sitting. Wait an hour and repeat. Repeat a total of four times. That's 1 gal of water in four hours. You won't hurt yourself and you stand a good chance of passing the stone without surgery. Here is the bad news. Drink 1 gal of water a day every day from now on. Folks say cut down on sodas and beer. I say just ADD them to your total. They don't replace the water. They add too it.

Good luck. Get healed up. It's like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer. It feels so good when it stops!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16. Bookworm

If you want to urinate more, take a quadruple dose of vitamin B, then drink lots of water. Caffeine will also increase urination, but only if you take more than you are already used to. Same with cranberry juice.

I drink about... 132 ounces of fluid a day? Maybe more.

gorgo2 likes this.
  17. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

My stones have been made of uric acid and I was told they couldn't use the shatter brake up because they could locate the stone as well.
    For prevention of future stones I drink as much lemon aide, made with real lemon, as possible. They have not returned.

gorgo2 and RyX like this.
  18. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Depending on composition, location, size and conditions of patient, the vast majority of cases nowdays are either lithotripsy (ultrasound shattering) or endoscopic treatment. For small stones (like your 1mm one), here the elder doctors, which didn't have fancy equipment, were doing the so called "water blow". It's still used. Try drinking 1 to 1,5lt of water (the more the better) in one session. This will increase urine production to the max and may expell the stone naturally. You will like feel a sudden burning feeling at the urethra while you urinate should that happen. Of course, it depends where the stone is located too. If it's located near the start of the ureter, this method may succeed. Otherwise you just do it "the scientific way", with technology. But the old methods often work.

Better thing is prevention. Drink a lot of water and move around a bit (sedentary life isn't good). If you have very hard water, buy mineral water or a desalinifier or whatever that thing is called to treat hard water to make it softer.

macaronus, gorgo2 and RyX like this.
  19. Bookworm

I wish they'd do the ultrasound shattering for gallstones. Instead, they always want to rip perfectly good organs out of people's bodies.

gorgo2 likes this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Gentlemen, thank you all for the input and advice, it is cherished. The stone indeed did pass almost without notice this morning around 7:30. Immediately feeling better I went ahead to work and now I'm heading back home. Have only glanced at the comments here but the water blow caught my eye and I think I should try that.