April 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 31, 2017.

?

Are you using a theme for April? And - which adjustable if you're going there?

1. Arko baby!!!!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Arko and an adjustable - even better!!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. Fatboy

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Slim

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Black Beauty

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. Futur

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. Soviet Ideal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Soviet Consul

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. Schick Adjustable

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  10. No theme - just me, my razor and some COOKIES!

27 vote(s)
    77.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am up all night. If a phone
    Never shaved with a slant I will have to give one a try one day.

2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

26 April 2017 Hump DAAAAY!
    Blade/Soap Focus Shave

Today, I returned to the Cella. Using JR#161 and the dry brush technique, I whipped up a great, fragrant, slick, cushiony lather. The Super Speed/GSB mowed down the weekday stubble delivering 2.5 passes of shaving excellence. Splashed on some Cella A/S, walked the puppy and it was off to start my workday. Have a Happy Hump Daaay!!

3. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

April 26, 2017- My Daughter's 18th Birthday (Wow! Does time fly!)

Pass 1
    Razor: Gem 1912
    Blade: Pace/Dorco DN 52 (1)

Pass 2
    F2 Gillette 195 Adjustable
    German Wilkie (2)

Brush: Razorock Plissoft 22
    Cream: KMF fragrance-free

I had planned to save the Dorco SE blades for MAYhem, but my curiosity got the better of me and I loaded one into the 1912 for a test run. First impression- out of the dispenser, they seem thinner than a Gem blade (i.e., more like a DE blade with a spine). As for the shave... From the first stroke, it was obvious this was not going to go well. (Not that I hadn't been warned!) Definitely lots of pulling. Towards the end of the pass, though, it started to feel a bit dangerous. I'm not sure if this was a function of the angles or if the blade had started to deteriorate by this point.

It was definitely one of the three worst passes I've had. The other two were with the Chinese Tian Fu "Disobedient" blade and with the infamous Czech Tiger. Of course, I call this bad ("Chinese Bad", actually) though @NCoxSTL would probably just call it "Wednesday". I'm inclined to go with the idea that this is really a box cutter blade that is being misrepresented as a shaving blade. I have a question into both DorcoUSA and Pace Shaving to see what they say.

So, it was the Fatboy to the rescue for the second pass. There was some irritation as was evident from the cold-water rinse and mild heat from the Alum. One small weeper on my chin, though I'm not sure when it occurred. Overall, a decent shave but totally to the credit of the Fatboy and the Wilkie.

Too bad that the Russians don't make SE blades. :)

4. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

April 25

Gillette Old Type w Sharp Star (2)
    TGN Boar
    Stirling Gin and Tonic SS
    Thayers Unscented
    Stirling Mentholated ASB
    image.jpg

Day 20 of the Canadian Old Type focus, day 2 on round two of the Sharp Star. Another nice Stirling lather, and another DFS 3+ pass shave. Dare I say 'routine' with the Old Type. No irritation, and a great feeling apres shave. I've rotated through Sharp Stars, Voskhods, Astra SPs, Polsilvers and Derbys so far with this razor. Only Derbys have disappointed. After the Sharp Star tomorrow I will put in everyone's favourite whipping boy, Merkur. I figure if I get a functional 3 days out of that, my Old Type focus will be complete.
    Have a great day all!

5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

The razor is $178, can't recall what I paid for the MdC and the brush is a Whipped Dog and was $30. Caties Bubbles performs very similar to MdC if want to cut down the cost. I think the AdP performed was $75.

I try to justify it telling myslelf if I amortize the cost it is not that expensive.

6. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

PAV Brushworks Barbershop with Envy White Two Band
    Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina
    Colonial Razors The General
    Feather Pro
    Myrsol Agua Balsamica
    Pino Sylvestre

[​IMG]

7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Yes they closed and yes I mourned. My best performer in a hot hot scuttle. I have tubs and then it will just be a memory. :sick013:

8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Congrats on your daughter's birthday John!!

9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Beautiful Mark. Off all your brushes this one might be my favorite.

10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Congrats on your daughters birthday. My youngest turns 18 next year. They do grow up so quickly

11. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Boy, it's hard to keep up with this thread. I think i 've lost some pages.

Show Spoiler
    Nice photo. Of course the shavette brings it out of balance, but i try to imagine it without the shavette. On behalf of a stagnating italian economy and of the 99,9% of the Italian shavers that find Acqua di Parma ridiculously overpriced, i thank you! :happy097:

OMG! I bought an Arko stick, i had no idea they last so long! I am glad they didn't have a box, cause i may have bought it! I much prefer having to spend 2400 days with Prorasos than with an Arko. I haven't used it, but i smelled it through the paper and although i love lemon, it didn't make me jump with joy.

Hello, 20C and sun here!

Nice photo, although i like shiny chrome razors. Please remember it next time. :happy097:

There, nice and shiny razor. Very nice photo.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pseudofocus report: Too long to write it here, people with little taste for interesting, funny, unique and amazing posts would protest, so i posted everything here.

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

April 26, 2017
    Wolfman Ti WR1 (.74) OC with Hempel Ti
    Feather (2)
    “Amigos” Elite Ironwood Beehive with Envy White
    Route 66 Bay Lime Twist

[​IMG]

Up early for physical therapy this morning but I did at least manage to get in a quick shave. The Route 66 Bay Lime Twist was easy to load and the lather. I enjoy the scent and like all Route 66 soaps the post shave care is fantastic. Two very quick passes and touch ups on my jaw line and neck ended in the normal near BBS. On mornings like this a more efficient razor pays big dividends. This shave was as close or closer than the standard Wolfman achieves in 3 passes. My not as gentle but certainly more efficient. I hope everyone has a great Wednesday.

13. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Happy birthday to your daughter!

14. mrchick

I'm still focusing on the ATG pass and think I have it down. Today was a flawless three pass shave. I really like this razor.
    Ogallala Bay Rum Shave Stick
    Wolf Whiskers Brush
    Henckels Friodur 72 1/2 Razor
    Thayers WH
    Ogallala Bay Rum After Shave
    Have fun![​IMG]

15. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Ditto

16. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

IMG_1425.JPG This instrument of pain came in the mail today. I think I'm going to stare at it and wait for inspiration from MAYhem shave stunts before I become any closer acquainted with it.

17. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

+1!

18. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Barrister and Mann is awesome!!! Get some, just be mindful of the scents. They are complex from what I have read. Just used B&M Dickens this morning and it was a nice Cardamom with a hint of lemon to me. Also love the July release of Arctique - Peppermint and super menthol! great for those hot days.

19. mrchick

Nice razor. I look forward to hearing how you like it.

20. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Is that baby shave ready ?