Scuttle bowl: attached or removable?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Fly2High, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

not sure where to put this thread.

I have seen some scuttles have bowls that can be removed and others have it fixed to the base.

Any benefit of each?

Any chance of the bowl coming out while whipping up a lather?

TypoDaPsycho and RyX like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Sorry, can't help you there. I just face-lather. It's quicker and easier. Cold water, too.

3. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

I had my scuttle specially made to be separate so I could ensure that a cruddy hard-water calcium build-up doesn't happen in the lower cup section of the scuttle. Having a removable bowl also gives the added advantage of being able to have a stand-alone lather bowl for those days where I either don't have time for or don't care for having a hot-lather shave. The smaller removable bowl is much easier to handle as a stand alone lather bowl. I love my turquoise scuttle that is used for my 4711 scented shave kit.

Straight razor dandy and RyX like this.
  4. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Some of my concerns I have read about is clanking and chipping because it is hard to fit and the inner bowl floating up as some of the issues 2 piece have

Any issues you've experienced?

5. Tim Spencer

Not with my scuttle. If you are careless with it I guess it could chip. The lady who made mine included some puddy I put under the bowl lip so it would not clank, but even when I didn't use the puddy before it just made a minor clink sound and I would just hold the bowl to the cup while lathering. Either way I had no issues.

6. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

As a person who has used more lather bowls and scuttles than I care to admit, I would recommend just sticking to a lather bowl. They lather quicker, easier, and have less or even no clanking or chipping due to the shape.
    Scuttles are really no longer necessary due to water faucets with easy access to hot and cold water.

7. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

That is true but I tend to shave in the shower. I do not have the option of a sink full of hot water. For some reason, every time I have been kicked out of the shower, I find that:
    1. The shave is not as good
    2. I make a huge mess
    3 . I piss off the wife even though SHE is the one who kicked me out of the shower

I guess the slow running water and confined steam chamber helps somewhat my shave. Either that or it is just habit. As for the mess, everything get wet or lather on it. In the shower that is an easy and quick clean up and I get to spread the lather's scent all around really partaking in it. :)

Good suggestion though. Have watched Manic59 video where he just places the bowl in the sink. My double walled Stainless steel bowl just tends to float and doesn't get all that warm all over . Plus, it lacks a handle so holding it while the base is hot sucks.

8. Tim Spencer

If you are holding your scuttle in the shower, then I would not recommend a 2-piece design as you might spill very hot water on yourself or risk the bowl-portion falling. I would recommend a single-piece design with a stopper/cork to keep the very hot water inside.

I think scuttles are great and serve a purpose still in that you can use very hot water that your tap might not make due to safety reasons. I find that hot lather is only obtainable from very hot water in a scuttle. Hotter than the tap is capable of providing. So, I really am enjoying my hot lather on my 4711 cologne shaving days.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I would not recommend any kind of glass, one piece or two piece, in the shower.

10. Tim Spencer

Yeah, there is reference online to a shatterproof shaving bowl made of acrylic, but no shaterproof scuttles. Weird. So, you're going to have to find some artisan somewhere who works with acrylic who can make you a scuttle. Sorry man. Shaving vintage style is a 'sink' thing for me. I only used to shave in the shower with disposables to save time. Now I enjoy shaving.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have two scuttle both are attached, 1 piece. The work great if you are a slow shaver or do 4 passes like me go for a scuttle that holds allot of water to keep it hotter longer.