Well that was...interesting (kidney stone)

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by gorgo2, Apr 26, 2017.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It's also amazing how sore my entire body is from being clenched with spasms for an hour and a half last night. When the last the painkiller they gave me finally wore off around noon today I feel like I've been beat with a stick head to foot. But this one's over. Amazing how something so tiny can cause agony. Yes I saved it.

battle.munky likes this.
  2. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

That was tried starting at the 80s and with small, isolated gallstones of mixed composition of cholesterol and bilirubine, it had a good success of about 80%. With multiple stones, bigger or pure composition it is more problematic. It didn't get much traction, because it didn't resolve the problem. A gallstone that makes stones, is called lithogenic. There is a deeper reason for that. If you don't act on that reason, they will form again. The problem with lithotripsy in gallstones, is that the fragments, will most likely stay there. And the fragments, act as nucleous for new stones. So it was seen that while you solve the problem temporarily, the fragments, could evolve to even more stones in time, making the problem worse than it was before. So you solve in the short run and you shoot yourself on the foot in the long run. There is also a pharmacological therapy that works with a type of stones, but when it doesn't and the patient has at least one episode of severe pain, they simply prefer to do laparoscopy and cholecistectomy (sever the gallbladder), because inlfammations of the gallbladder are very dangerous, as it can break inside the abdomen and cause peritonitis, which is emergency condition that can lead to death very fast. So, when the gallbladder shows that it has big problems, gastroenterologists simply prefer the removal as pre-emptive action, to avoid the worst. It's not like the kidney stone, that once shattered, the fragments will simply come out urinating.

Of course, in US, in general, medicine is more pre-emptive-invasive prone. In Europe it is more conservative in general (in Europe they prefer monitoring and conservative therapy with drugs,instead of removing something immediately. I am talking in general. For example, a relative of mine, had a gynecological problem with dysplasia. My opinion was not to do anything, keep monitoring. She went to an oncologist that had done specialization studies in USA. He was for the preemptive removal of her internal genital tract because according to him, this was one of the ugliest, most aggressive dysplasia types they exist and would turn rapidly invasive and fatal within few months. He said that in the past he didn't have time to save any of his patients. I told her that here the motto of the anatomopathologists was "it's not a tumour until you can prove it is on a bioptic sample". So she proceeded to total hysterectomy, as the oncologist had adviced her. After the removal of the organ, the anatomopathologist had the opportunity to examine better and multiple samples and concluded that most probably it would have never turned malicious, there was no sign of invasion anywhere, not even microinvasion. She entered premature menopause with various problems to her weight, heart, osteoporosis. Trigger happy oncologist.)

Screwtape and gorgo2 like this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I haven't had a kidney stone and don't want one. I drink quite a bit of lemonade, hoping to keep them away (and garlic for vampires). I'm happy you passed it. :happy093:

gorgo2 likes this.
  4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Yeah man, I've had one and it was suuuuuuper painful while it was in the kidney and ureter. Luckily mine passed without much ado also but damn, did it fight on the way down.

gorgo2 likes this.
  5. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

As with most things, there are no easy answers to complicated problems. There are type of stones that form in alcalic urine and others that form in acidic. Lemonade can't work both ways, it has citric acid. It's a very long story. Prevention has to do with drinking lots of water and healthy diet. Also, once you know what type of stone you had, you must modify your diet accordingly because you are likely to refom the same type of stone.

gorgo2 likes this.
  6. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Glad you passed it. Had one about 7,8 years ago. At first I thought I hurt my back 'cuz we did a weekend long clean up session in the backyard. But by Tuesday of that week I knew something was up. Called the doc but he was full up til Thursday. Wednesday night I passed that little mother and they haven't been back since.

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Never came up; they figured since it was my first and the onset was so sudden, it was likely small. The CT scan confirmed it. Wish I could tell by looking at it what it's made of so I can start any diet changes, but I'm already drinking water with cider vinegar (no lemons or juice on hand).

8. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Hate to hear it neighbor

9. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Ahh Maang!!!

Been there...Done that....and NOPE! Don't think I would care to do it again!!!!

Sorry you had to go through that....at least, it's behind you now...Hope you never get a return engagement!

battle.munky likes this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Been there twice; not fun! Glad you are feeling better.

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Glad you are on the Mend !!!