April 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 31, 2017.

?

Are you using a theme for April? And - which adjustable if you're going there?

1. Arko baby!!!!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Arko and an adjustable - even better!!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. Fatboy

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Slim

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Black Beauty

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. Futur

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. Soviet Ideal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Soviet Consul

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. Schick Adjustable

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  10. No theme - just me, my razor and some COOKIES!

27 vote(s)
    77.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Nope, haven't gotten that far yet. I figured I'd just buy the thing while the price was right and before I thought too much about dragging a sharp menacing piece of metal within millimeters of my jugular vein. Any and all suggestions and/or educational comments are welcome. As demonstrated previously, obnoxious, ridiculous and absurd comments are also welcome.

2. BaylorGator

It cleared out my forearm hairs pretty easily. Unfortunately I don't have a hair long enough to drop on it until I get home to the girls (unless one of you was planning to send the redheaded stewardess over here to help with the project).

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

How's PIF pricing suit you? I need to get those premium soap samples headed your way. I'll add a Whipped Dog Poorman's strop to the package. It's in very good condition considering it was my first one. Don't let my spare coming your way stop you from shopping a nice one. This is a good unit to learn stropping. Should you invest in a Drygulch Strop the nicking needs to be done on a lesser piece.

4. BaylorGator

Wow, that'd be awesome! Thanks! Let me at least PM you my UPS account # tomorrow so you don't have to pay to ship it out.

5. BaylorGator

By the way, it goes without saying that if I figure out what I'm doing, get up my nerve, become successful at straight shaving, and stick with it (several big ifs), a strop from @Drygulch would be in order and instantly become a prized possession.

6. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Timeless SB 0.95, w/ TRH5 Dimpled
    Blade: Personna Star (4) Made in Great Britain
    Brush: El Druida Ebony Zebra w/Manchurian
    Soap: Route 66 Cavendish
    Aftershave: Floid Blue
    boise Mudworks bowl Blue (left hand)
    25 04 17.jpg

BoiseBowelsPhoto2.jpg BoiseBowelInterB.jpg

boisemudworks@gmail.com
    www.boisemudworks.com
    Jill Lawley 208-761-0117

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great outdoor pic Doug. I would've been worried the brush and razor were going for a swim. Very cool looking shaving bowl. It couldn't have been easy being left handed in the Marines during your time. It was bad enough for me at Ft. Benning in the 80s. I still recall all of us wrong handers going to one side of the range.

SharptoothC, PLAla, Screwtape and 6 others like this.
  8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

1.jpeg

Stay humble, my friends.

9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks Clint. If the razor and brush went for a swim I would have also. :) When I was in the Marines I was right handed. I turns out that I had made a mistake thinking I was left handed.

10. wristwatchb

Very nice looking shave bowls, Doug! I face lather, but I do use a small brush scuttle to keep my lather warm.

11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank you Charlie.

12. wristwatchb

I DE shave, write, and shoot a long gun left-handed; pitch a baseball, swing a bat, and play guitar right-handed; eat with both hands. :)

SharptoothC, PLAla, Screwtape and 7 others like this.
  13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I know how that goes. I am right handed but left eye dominant. So I can shoot pistols and rifles both right and left handed. I just prefer to shoot a rifle left handed for longer ranges and when it really counts. :)

SharptoothC, PLAla, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:happy097: :happy096:

15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

In Korea everything is overpriced so when I bought the AdP it seemed reasonable. The only things cheap in Seoul are cigarettes, beer, soju (think rice vodka), sushi rolls and taxis. Glad I could help The Italian economy. In return I hope you bought a Samsung phone and Hyundai car which oddly enough cost more than anywhere else.

16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

17. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Thanks guys

18. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Smart Man!

19. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Arko Adjustable April!!!!!

April 26

Razor - 1959 (E4) Gillette Fatboy (6)
    Blade - sharp-star.jpg (1)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - Jayaruh #46
    Post - Alum

After three trying days with the Slim and Derby - only trying because of the Derby NOT the Slim - I loaded a Sharp Star into the Fatboy to enjoy a day or three of shaves as we finish out Arko Adjustable April. Four days after this. WOW! Time has really flown again. And, we've been a talkative and shenanigan filled crew again as well. Every post now is a new record for the 30 Day Thread in a month and I want to thank everyone again for your participation around here. I love this place. And it wouldn't be "this place" without all of you. Ok, enough of all of that. We'll have a group hug in a bit I'm sure.

Two very fine passes on very fine lather with a very fine razor and blade. The finish? An extremely fine near-BBS. The alum? It was fine, thank you. Nothing to worry about at all. Shaves don't get much better than this. There's a part of me that wishes it had been a different scented soap but - you can't argue the slickness and thickness of the Arko. Nope, not gonna complain at all.

I took a quick pic of the setup for tonight and included a new friend in the den. You saw the box a couple of days ago but I thought I'd open it up and let you say hi to "Matthew". He said it was ok to show off just a bit tonight. MAYhem is getting closer by the hour!

April 26.jpg

Drygulch, Keithmax, RyX and 9 others like this.