What's the best soap you've ever used and why

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by LevelupShaves, Apr 24, 2017.

1. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Oh, Arko as well.

Drawer and RyX like this.
  2. Mark B

Mark B New Member

I love Stirling--the company's history, the people, and the products, but I have to give the BEST to Mitchell's Wool Fat.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Stirling is really top-notch. It is slick with tremendous post-shave feel. It's a very thirsty soap so you can work in a lot of water and get bright sheen.

Route 66 is also tremendous. Mitchell's Wool Fat is an all-time favorite. I also think Soap Commander is fantastic.

There are many, many great soaps out there!

4. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Barrister & Mann
    Saponificio Varesino
    Castle Forbes
    Stirling
    Martin de Candre

These are my tops (no order)

Drawer and Straight razor dandy like this.
  5. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Ginger's Garden Glycerine Soap, Sandalwood. Excellent glide & slickness, good protection. I have tried other glycerin based soaps that were mediocre for lathering.

Ginger' s soaps provide a rich, slick lather.

Drawer and RyX like this.
  6. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

Sterling for straight shaving. Strop Shoppe for DE shaving, but they are no longer with us. Maggard's "home brand" is also surprisingly good all-around soap for me. Haven't tried any MdC, but have used many others.

Drawer and CarlfromMO like this.
  7. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Cremo Cooling is my go to I'm in a hurry mid week shaving cream. I prefer a brush soap later and full three pass shave when I have the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drawer, BaylorGator and RyX like this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs011:

Drawer, HoosierTrooper and RyX like this.
  9. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I've got to try some Williams's I haven't used a Tallow soap yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drawer likes this.
  10. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

With enough water, all soaps are the best. :happy088:

Drawer likes this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Mass market: Arko for foolproof and flawless face-lathering. Costs about a penny or less per shave.

Small Producer: Route 66 for its glide and post shave feel, also an "easy soap".

Drawer, Salty Belle, GatorJoe and 3 others like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

I get good service from the Cremo Line. They keep coming out with new scents faster than I use them up. Another Over The Counter (possibly available on a store shelf near you) menthol cream - C.O.Bigelow. It's Proraso Green on the inside. Often available at Bath & Bodyworks shops.

Drawer likes this.
  13. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

So many options to pick from, there are tons of artisans putting out incredible soaps right now; L&L Grooming, Barrister and Mann, Uncle Jon's, Dr Jon's, Chiseled Face, Stirling, Eufros, Route 66, WSP, MDC, Catie's Bubbles, Crowne and Crane. If you put a gun to my head and made me choose one soap to use the rest of my life it would be Saponificio Varesino Arctic Tundra. I love this soap; excellent performance, great scent and its the slickest soap I've ever tried.

Drawer and NISITO like this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Outstanding answer. I have 2 cakes of the glastonbury mix I think it is...along with 13 newer ones I think.

Yup

I have tons of the newer Williams. If you want a cake fire me off a pm with an addy. It's a bit different formula from what they are talking about but still my favorite soap. Mostly because I get great shaves from it and can get it local and it's cheap.

Drawer, Stu929 and ob1page like this.
  15. woodworker

woodworker Active Member

Cold River Soap Works Select (pick your flavor). Nice price $15 bucks for 4 ounces of creamy, slick goodness. Love the post shave, my skin never feels tight but very soft.

Drawer likes this.
  16. RSHWETSHAVE

RSHWETSHAVE Member

Mike's natural soaps. Vetiver is fantastic. Took me awhile to get used to the scent but now I love it. The performance is the best I've used.

Only problem is the ordering. He's a one man shop and the scents sell out within a couple days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

jeraldgordon, Drawer, NISITO and 2 others like this.
  17. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Mikes can be had on Italian Barber, and Maggards.

Drawer, PickledNorthern and ob1page like this.
  18. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

For me, Mitchell's Wool Fat. Reason - scent, ease of lathering, lather, comfort, cushion, slickness, post-shave feel. Running out of adjectives so I'll say a wonderful soap.

Drawer, PLAla and ob1page like this.
  19. Oasisdave

Oasisdave Active Member; radioactive

Nuavia
    SMN V.3
    Eufros Tallow

These soaps have everything, slickness, cushion and great scents

Drawer and ob1page like this.
  20. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

What is SMN?