Just realized I don't know what makes a good lather

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by SlaveShaver, Apr 26, 2017.

1. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'd say to get a can of shave cream, nivea, barbasol sensitive, any one, try it. Then, experiment with the products you have. Object is, to make a better lather than the can. I'm sure you can get this done, it's shave cream, not nuclear medicine. Also use absolutely a light touch. I'd also Suggest one pass, just shaved, then work up from there. Stay with what doesn't irritate your face, then make changes slowly. Men have done this forever, I'm sure you can too, and do it without painful results.

George X, macaronus and SpeedyPC like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

macaronus likes this.
  3. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

I don't think your problem is with your lather. The main things that lather provides are face prep and lubrication/slickness. You are much more likely to benefit from better shave prep. I think many people don't realize what good shave prep is and what it can do for your shaves. Pre shave prep actually starts with the end of your shave, you can apply things which will help keep your skin moisturized in preparation for your next shave. You just need to experiment with different methods of shave prep to find what works for you. Here is a link to a thread on another forum started by our own @celestino which discusses shave prep and what he found.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=4239

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    macaronus likes this.
  5. SlaveShaver

SlaveShaver Member

Yeah, I've only being doing one with the grain pass, and am getting irritation even with that. I don't know how to have an irritation-free shave with no tugging or ingrown hairs even with just one pass.

Also, the problem with using a light touch, as you recommend, is that the blade keeps catching and tugging on the hairs if I do (for whatever reason that I can't figure out) and I think I end up accidentally applying more pressure than I have to because with no pressure I literally can't take the hairs off, or they are at least very difficult to take off with no pressure.

When you say face prep, is it possible that the five minutes I spend with a hot water towel to my face is not long enough to soften the hairs? Should I maybe do 10? I don't know how to tell if my hairs are soft enough to shave.

6. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

What razor and blades are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. SlaveShaver

SlaveShaver Member

Edwin Jagger DE86 with Polsilver Super Iridiums (because I saw quite a few people recommend these to prevent skin irritation). I've been trying them for a few weeks and considering going back to the Derbys.

8. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

I had forgotten to paste the link, it's there now and here:
    http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=4239

Check the first post, it's by Celestino, he actually tried several methods of shave prep, among them a hot towel but it did not work well for him. He had success with applying lather to a wet face and massaging it in, then rinsing and applying lather and shaving. It's really just trial and error, trying different things until you find what works for you. If you read through the thread you can find some other ideas to try.

9. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

This may seem backwards. Try one of the shave gels from a tube (if possible). If not, try one of the canned gels. Put a decent coating on, wait a short time, then try the shave, gently. Gels from the tube have NO lathering time, or anything else, and they're predictable. I found them better than shaving 'cream' foam.

One guy I know of shaves with hair conditioner.

Also - try a different blade. Astra SP are generally good solid workhorses. You may have a too sharp of a blade.

10. SlaveShaver

SlaveShaver Member

Yeah, I usually apply lather to my face and then put a hot water towel on top and then after that relather before I wait a minute and start shaving. But I actually don't even want to use the hot towel anymore because it makes my skin feel really tight and red for a long time. But don't you kind of need to use hot water in your prep?

OK. I'll try going back to the Derby and see if that helps. Then I will try and use a shave gel. Then I will try and experiment with different blades if that still doesn't work.

11. Bookworm

I wash my face with warm water before the shave. If I'm in the shower (the usual place), I simply stand with the water running over my face for a minute or two. All you're looking to do is make the keratin a bit softer, so the blade bites in a bit better. (lift the scales slightly, I surmise). That doesn't take long, and as anyone that swims a lot can tell you, even hours in the water doesn't melt the hair :)

Don't use water that's uncomfortably hot. I have NO idea who came up with the 'slap a steaming towel on someone's face', but it's NOT a good thing.

12. SlaveShaver

SlaveShaver Member

OK, I will try washing with just warm water and see what happens.

13. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

If I might offer three suggestions here, @SlaveShaver:

1. A face that is red, tender and blotchy in spots may be the result of too much hot water or steam for too long. It could be you are half boiling your face before shaving, which would make the skin unusually tender and sensitive and therefore very easy to injure with the razor. Many shavers have solved problems with razorburn by going the other direction entirely and shaving in cold water. I find lukewarm is best myself.

Another alternative to heat is just a wash with a prep soap such as Musgo Real Lime Glyce Soap.

2. Blotches, redness, hives or itchiness on the face can also be the result of a contact allergy, possibly to a coating on the razor blade. For example, one shaver on the forums ends up with a red and swollen face if he uses a platinum coated blade. If you have only used a couple blades, maybe check to see what coatings they have in common and then try a brand without that coating. (Platinum in particular bothers a small but definite segment of the population.)

And if you have always used the same soap, the same issue might apply there.

3. For the possibility that the cause is general issues of technique, such as lathering or razor angles, why not drop over to the 30-Day thread in the Shave School section? The April thread is just winding to an end. Introduce yourself and your problem, then stick with us through the May "clinic". We would be delighted to help you. That's what the 30-Day month-long Focuses are for - helping each other fix problems and improve techniques. You have had this problem for a couple years now; give the Crew 30 days and we'll see if we can't help you find a solution that will have you enjoying your shaves.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    gzp, macaronus and RyX like this.
  14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just because some people like blade X and it works for them does not mean it will work for you.
    And there's your answer. Get a blade sample pack.

macaronus likes this.
  15. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@SlaveShaver here a link for try a blade and get the Super Double Edge Sampler http://www.tryablade.com/blade

swarden43 likes this.
  16. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

I'm still new here but when I joined this site I was literally tearing my face up wet shaving. Then I started reading this site, and I read, and read until I had a better understanding of what I was doing wrong. That's my suggestion to you is to read everything you can on this site and don't be afraid to try something different. I have very little irritation now and getting better. The good folks on this site know what they're talking about! Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  17. Bookworm

18. SlaveShaver

SlaveShaver Member

Right, I use a very hot water towel as I watched one of Mantic's videos and he was saying to use the hottest temperature you could tolerate. I've been doing this almost every time I shave.

Are you saying that I've been burning my face this whole time? Could I have done permanent damage? I have noticed that for the past 9 months or so that my face has been quite red and has never really gone back to its original colour. Also, there have been a few times after I shaved where I have really noticeable large red patches on my cheeks in places where the razor hasn't touched but where I put the hot water towel or splashed with hot water.

I might try cold water shaving again.

I will try this, thanks.

RyX likes this.
  19. Bookworm

I don't know about Mantic, but I've tried the REALLY hot water, and I've tried just comfortable shower water. Shower works better for me.

20. SlaveShaver

SlaveShaver Member

I find that lukewarm water from the shower doesn't really work to soften the hairs for me.

Yeah, I wish I'd never come across this technique because I think I've screwed up my face permanently by doing this.