April 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 31, 2017.

?

Are you using a theme for April? And - which adjustable if you're going there?

1. Arko baby!!!!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Arko and an adjustable - even better!!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. Fatboy

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Slim

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Black Beauty

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. Futur

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. Soviet Ideal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Soviet Consul

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. Schick Adjustable

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  10. No theme - just me, my razor and some COOKIES!

27 vote(s)
    77.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

And, when I post a insanely cropped perspective of a shavette still life gone wrong....

All credit also goes to @Shave Fu

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Balance restored? Nothing like good Moscow steel.

Drygulch, RyX, wristwatchb and 4 others like this.
  3. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Beautiful NEW!

Drygulch, RyX, wristwatchb and 3 others like this.
  4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Thanks! New Deluxe SC.......but there's more. I'll spirit those details to the group in MAYhem.

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

No too bad looking for a razor that uses one of them 2 sided blade thingies. Beautiful actually.

Drygulch, RyX, wristwatchb and 2 others like this.
  6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The camera is doing it quite a bit of justice. It's in rough shape. Not beyond saving by a long shot but it's not nearly as pretty in person. LOL

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

LOL. I been told I look better in pics too.

8. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

April 26 (Wednesday ) - starting soaps focu

Rockwell 6s on plate #3 / Topaz Platinum ( 1 )
    Supply Provision synthetic brush
    3p shave soap (croap)
    Alum and Clubman VIBR

Not having a B in soaps, I stepped over into numbers and broke into a sample container of Italian soft 3P soap. It's a coconut oil based soap with an Almond scent that smells like marzipan, much like Cella. The sample smelled strongly of marzipan, but once it was worked into a lather, the scent almost completely disappeared, leaving just a hint as I shaved. And once I rinsed off, there was nothing left to clash with any splash I might choose.

A finger tip scoop of the soap smooshed easily into a thin paste in the bottom of my clay lathering bowl. The bowl held the soap securely while the brush turned it into lather. An almond-sized dollop yielded more than enough lather for my shave. The little 10ml sample tub still has enough soap left for 4 or 5 more shaves. I will use it up eventually, although I doubt I would buy a tub -- it doesn't have or do anything that Cella doesn't and I already have a tub of that.

The soap did a good job; I got my normal near BBS from two passes with the Rockwell and the alum registered no complaints.

It was kind of a grey day here, so to finish I went with a splash of the tropics to perk up.

Edit: I just noticed that I have full-sized containers of four Italian almond-scented soft croaps - tubs of Cella, Vitos Extra, Vitos Coco (made with extra coconut oil), and a small refill brick of Valobra Almond. I think I will do a mini focus comparing these with the 3P sample and each other, which will take precisely to the end of April.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Drygulch, Keithmax, RyX and 9 others like this.
  9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks very much Keith. Hope all is well with you.

10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

April 27, 2017
    Wolfman Ti WR1 (.74) OC with Hempel Ti
    Feather (3)
    “Amigos” Elite Ironwood Beehive with Envy White
    Route 66 Bay Lime Twist

[​IMG]

Another automatic near BBS shave. I was able to slow down and enjoy the process a little more this morning. Even then it still a pretty quick process. The Envy White knot might be the best bang for the buck in badger knots. I really enjoyed the wonderful scrub with just a faint hint of scritch. That feeling is one of the several reasons I enjoy face lathering. Another 2 pass and with minimal touch ups ended in my normal near BBS. Most days I just don't chase that one spot on my lower right neck. I finished the shave off with a splash of Folsom & Co. Shambala. I hope everyone has a fantastic Thursday.

Drygulch, Keithmax, NCoxSTL and 9 others like this.
  11. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Cold Water.jpg
    SOTD April 27, 2017

Blade: Chinese Schick
    Razor: Schick M Adjustable injector
    Brush: Jayaruh boar
    Lather: Wickham 1912 Cashmere
    WTG, touch-up

Nice and enjoyable shave this morning. I went with the Schick Adjustable and will probably finish out the month with it. The Wickham soap lathers quite easily and is high quality. The TSD Barber Shoppe scent pairs up really well with the Cashmere scent of the soap. A terrific shave overall.

Have a great day!

SOTD 4-27-17.JPG

Drygulch, Keithmax, RyX and 8 others like this.
  12. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Finally! Someone who recognizes my tireless efforts to make you better photographers! :yoda

I do have Samsung phone, an older Hyundai 4:3 computer monitor, 2 Samsung 16:9 computer monitors, Samsung RAM modules, Hynix SSD and RAMs :lam: and of course, the amazing Dorcos ST301 (300 blades, but i will probably increase them or get 100 of the Dorco Prime STP301)! :shaver

Drygulch, Keithmax, RyX and 4 others like this.
  13. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Veeeery nice! And this time there is no "turkish bath" visible to ruin the cold, harsh enviroment feeling! You learn quickly! Bravo!

14. jtspartan

April 26

Gillette Old Type w Sharp Star (3)
    TGN Synthetic/Mahogany Handle
    Jeeves of Hudson St Apothecary
    Thayers Unscented
    Barrister's Reserve Spice
    image.jpg
    Day 21 of the Canadian Old Type focus, day 3 back with the Sharp Star. Very nice shave this morning. A nice lather with the Jeeves this morning, and a pleasant 3+ pass shave resulted in a DFS. Almost the baby, actually. Finished with the Reserve Spice, which is my wife's favourite.
    After running through Sharp Star, Astra, Polsilver, Voskhod, Lord and Derby with this Old Type, I'll finish my focus with it using a Merkur. If I get a decent shave with that crud tomorrow, my Old Type focus is complete. So says Yoda.:yoda
    Have a great day all!

Drygulch, Keithmax, NCoxSTL and 10 others like this.
  15. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0348.JPG
    27 April 2017 Blade/Soap Focus Shave
    Today I decided to go down the Shore for my shave. So I broke out Catie's Bubbles "Barnegat Bay" soap.
    The above picture is the historic Barnegat Bay Lighthouse. Commissioned 1 January 1859. Designed by then Lieutenant George Gordon Meade(yes, that Meade).
    Using JR#161, I whipped up a great lather for the Super Speed Black Tip/Gillette Silver Blue duo to mow down my weekday stubble. 2.5 pass DFS+. Splashed on some VIBR and off to work we went. If anyone is interested the GSB is still going strong, no tugging or pulling. After tomorrow's shave though, it'll be off to the blade bank. Friday to finish off the workweek, Route 66 "Rum Runner" is on deck.
    Keep it between the ditches!

Drygulch, Keithmax, wchnu and 9 others like this.
  16. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Great picture!! 4.0 job

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Beautiful photo Jason. :happy088:

18. jtspartan

Thank you.

19. jtspartan

Thank you, Clint.

20. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Same here, and I look better from a distance. The further away, the better. :rofl:

Drygulch, wchnu, SharptoothC and 3 others like this.