How to use a vintage shaving scuttle

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Rusty blade, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I have just spent the last hour watching YouTube videos of guys using their shaving scuttles. I was interested in how they used their scuttles in different ways. Now, the modern scuttles have, in addition to the water reservoir and opening for a brush, a large bowl in which you build a lather. The vintage bowls were smaller. Some, it seems use the top bowl to house a small puck and they build their lather right off the soap puck. Others load their brush with whatever soap they are using that day and then lay the brush in the bowl to warm the lather. One added some cream from a tube in the top bowl and built a lather from that.

How do you use your vintage (not modern) shaving scuttles?

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have a couple of these, I always though you were suppose to put a cake of soap in the holder. Then the chamber is filled with water to wet the brush. It is not for warming but was used because there was no running water and it was a way to wet the brush.

3. Rusty blade

I believe you are using your scuttle as it was intended. Some on YouTube are using theirs a bit different. I am not sure there are any set rules...it seems it is whatever works best for you. I was interested in hearing different approaches. As I said above I think you are using your scuttle as it was supposed to be used.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    Keithmax likes this.
  4. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

The only "vintage" scuttle that I own is of the Col. Conk variety.
    p-258-conk116mugpbarberpole.jpg
    The diameter of the soap bowel is not big enough to accommodate many shave soap puck sizes. It fits the Col. Conk pucks, Williams Mug shave soap, and I think even the Van Der Hagen deluxe puck (Not the luxury puck).

When I use it, I fill the bottom with hot water and plop a brush in the spout.

Then face lather and rest the brush on the puck & handle. Works reasonably well for face lathering (which I prefer).

Note that the spout is too small for the largest brushes. I use my smallest brushes with the narrowest knots with this scuttle.

Since I am a dedicated to face lathering, this has become my most used scuttle. But only when I am using a soap puck & brush that fits.

Screwtape and Rusty blade like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

*shudder*

6. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I got this from a junk shop for like 50 cents...
    [​IMG]
    ...and it's basically useless.

Keithmax, Primotenore and Jayaruh like this.
  7. Rusty blade

I used my scuttle this morning and had a great shave. I took an almond size dollop of GFT Coconut cream and lathered in the little top bowl and made a nice warm lather. I really must use my scuttle more often. I am thinking a Haslinger puck would probably fit in my scuttle top bowl. Great little inventions.

8. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

HA! Good catch Swarden43.
    One misplaced letter shouldn't make you cringe, should it?

I need to stop replying to this stuff on my phone.

Thx.

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Could you use it for a football tee?

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I'd give a dollar for it.

'65 G-Slim likes this.
  11. '65 G-Slim

I was thinking maybe a gravy boat.

12. Rusty blade

I've been reading about the history of shaving scuttles. Apparently, once you were finished shaving, you were supposed to put the brush back in the spout -- bristles pointing outwards -- for storage and drying. btw...here is a pic of my scuttle...
    Scuttle.jpg

Keithmax and Jorvaljr like this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Never thought of that...beautiful scuttle. I have a similar one.

14. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I shake all the water out of the brush, load the tips with soap, add a little water to the brush, and then face lather. The bowl on a scuttle really isn't meant to be used like a shaving mug. Trying to whip up a lather in a scuttle can get quite messy. People on the forums often state that the bottom chamber was used to hold water. I have never seen it used for this, but maybe it was during the last ice age.

I have seen brushes stored bristles down but never up when in the spout. Some scuttles, mine included, have notches in the bowl rim that appear to be for holding a brush. Some other scuttles have what appears to be a cradle in the top of the handle to hold a brush sideways.

15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Pencil holder...

swarden43 and '65 G-Slim like this.
  16. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I picked one up off of E-Bay for a small sum, and was looking forward to using it.... And the next morning, was issued a refund; the lady dropped it, and said she didn't think I wanted pieces.

So I've ordered a different one; it has none of the floral decorations from that time period. I'll say more if it arrives in one piece.

17. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are magazine articles on proper scuttle usage, that simply haven't been found as of yet. (from 1880's-1930's)

My supposition is that you filled the bottom with warm water, then put the brush in to soak. You then used a wet brush on the soap in the top, which has drain holes to the bottom. (for excess water). Once you were done, you poured out the water, and allowed the soap to drain/dry in the top. The 'notches' I've seen looks perfect for laying a brush down, often with the bristles on the soap.

TitanTTB likes this.
  18. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

These were common before hot water and modern plumbing. From what I understand they filled the bottom reservoir with hot water from the kettle, the top tray was just a soap tray. Then they just picked up the soap and loaded it from their hand and set the wet puck back down on the tray.

19. '65 G-Slim

Got one already...
    [​IMG]

(My daughter in law gave this to me. I think she was trying to tell me something.)

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Primotenore likes this.
  20. Rusty blade

That's about all there is to it. Very simple technology. I use mine with shaving creams. I fill my bottom bowl with hot tap water, put my brush in to soak, rub an almond size dollop around the inside of the top bowl to warm while I am showering and Bob's your proverbial uncle. Hot lather and a great shave. There is something so nice about using an old school technology and getting a great shave. I have my eye out for a square top scuttle so I can leave a soap puck on top.