Birth year razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tiredricefarmer, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a Gillette adjustable from my birth year and quarter. The really nice ones can run as high as $50 or more in some cases. Just wondering what some on here would be willing pay to own a birth year razor? Your thoughts?

Also was thinking bout buying a cheaper one to send to Delta Echo.

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I bought a birth year Slim Adjustable, several years ago. I paid around $20, then sent it to Razor Emporium, back when their prices weren't sky high.

ninjack and jimjo1031 like this.
  3. Tiredricefarmer

Just checked Razor Emporium's prices and it looks like I'd be $ ahead to just buy one that's in really nice condition. If I get a cheaper one then I think Delta Echo is the route I'd take. Love what they do to their razors!

RyX and jimjo1031 like this.
  4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

That's a very subjective question, although I am sure you already know that. I wouldn't pay more for my birth razor than any other razor, but that's just me. I tend to set my upper limit to $35, but I typically look for razors in good condition, but not perfect.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

RyX, jimjo1031 and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  5. Tiredricefarmer

That's the kind of answer I'm looking for, thanks!

jimjo1031 likes this.
  6. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I paid $35 for a birth year red-tip & $10 for a flare-tip.

Edit: 1956

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I traded a member for my birth year razor. It was a user grade, but that's ok, so am I. I like the patina, it shows character and engenders interest of a life lived, not shelved.

wristwatchb, RyX, Boojum1 and 3 others like this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    When I was seeking out my BYR, I decided I was willing to pay $1 per year. So, my top offer was $63. That is kind of high for a 46-47 Superspeed, but I ended up getting a very nice one. My birth era razors include the 46-47 Superspeed, a 46-47 Aristocrat, and a Gem Micromatic Bullet Tip. I am just too old for a year/quarter match. So, I settle for the era razors. You young fellers have it a lot easier unless you are under 35, HA! Good luck on your search.

preidy, RyX, wristwatchb and 4 others like this.
  9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I'm always on the lookout for my BYR. If I don't find it however, no biggie. Came close with the SS Black Tip(1952).

jimjo1031 likes this.
  10. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Put your birth year in your posts. Who knows who might read this and have a match. I'm a G4 (1961)

RyX, jimjo1031 and lightcs1776 like this.
  11. Tiredricefarmer

Obviously I haven't considered that, thanks! I'm a K2! (1965)

Bama Samurai, RyX and mrchick like this.
  12. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

WARNING: This is pick heavy because I just have to show them off.

I've spent as much as about $60.00 on Slims and Fatboys that were very nice used examples (not my birth year, but my brothers') and had some of the Slims replated by RazorPlate.com (can't say enough good things about Chris @ RazorPlate.com). They became gifts for my brothers and a friend and they were much more expensive in the long run. But, I think, worth it. Because they were already in pretty decent shape, the replating made them sensational.
    Jims-Slim-small.jpg Nelsons-Slim-small.jpg Brians-Slim-sm.jpg

I got one of these for $15 and the other for $20 and they were in good working order, but pretty well used. So, I sent them to Delta Echo. These are for me and they are commemorative. The one on the left is done US Navy P3C colors and the one on the right is Blue Angel #8
    P3andBlueAngel.jpg
    I have also used NorthshoreRazors.com (great stuff from Scott at North Shore Razors).
    Noahs-SS.png
    If you are going to replate or gun coat then I wouldn't be thinking about the acquisition cost, as it doesn't really make sense to try to save that much money. If you get a junk razor, then the refinishers may not be able to work on it. They have to disassemble it and blast off the old finish and then apply the new finish. That process takes it's toll on old metal. They generally won't repair or replace parts. So, get one that you are confident is in great working order. Refinishing razors is an expensive game. You will never reclaim your money unless you are doing it yourself (and probably not even then). I don't mind the outlay as these were special to me in some way (mostly gifts). So, get one if you want one. They aren't THAT expensive to acquire. Use it if it looks nice. Refinish it if you want a special razor. If you refinish, you won't be disappointed. But, unless you buy in lots, then you aren't really going to save much money buying razors. These things were just a couple of bucks when they were new. They are easily 20-40x (even a 100x) now.

So, just go get one, bring it home, treat it nice and enjoy your shave.

Edit: added North Shore Razors link

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    wasson, preidy, wristwatchb and 6 others like this.
  13. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Gorgeous looking razors. Thank you for your service(current Army Dad)

14. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

I'll check. I might have a K slim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrchick and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  15. Tiredricefarmer

Those are awesome! Thanks for the info! You've given me lots more to think about. North Shore has great looking razors. Like a kid in a candy store, it's going to be tough to choose what I want! Thanks again!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Terry Williams likes this.
  16. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I have a nice condition L2 slim, if this is your time?

17. Tiredricefarmer

1 year too late. I'm a K2. Would like to have 2, one nice one to use and one in good working order to send to Delta Echo or North Shore. Thanks David, I appreciate your effort.

18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

:happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088:

19. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I seem to have a K2 - but it doesn't drop on its own when you crank the numbers down. Probably needs to be captain murphy'ed and replated. All parts work, but some plating is gone. I also have an H3 and H2, and an I 3. Can't find the fatboy to check the code. Yes, I have too many of the darned things.

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  20. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I was actually thinking of starting a thread for this..

BY EXCHANGE? I say this because I too am looking for a 3qrt of 1980 and not finding anything close. Everything I find is 50s and 60s so far. Its a thought not sure if it would fly but that way ppl could keep an eye out for each other. Im big on Karma.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk