Update on poly coating safety razor.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bookworm, May 19, 2017.

1. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

After three weeks or so, the Minwax water-based polyacrylic is still showing good resistance to air getting to the metal and causing corrosion.

However, there are a couple of spots that got hit (the mirror fell off of the wall once), and the acrylic apparently doesn't stick well enough to deal with flaking. Putting my nail against a nick caused a piece to flake off with no effort.

So, you'll either need more than three wiped/brushed coats, or use the mineral spirits based polyurethane. I'll be stripping off the acrylic, re-polishing and cleaning, and trying that next.

I'm still going to try some of this stuff - http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/catalog_browse.asp?ictNbr=158 - later on to see if it'll work on the razors with plating loss. Polish what's exposed, then that, to hopefully just keep them looking good while in storage.

RaZorBurn123, gorgo2 and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thanks for taking your time to experiment & document. Old razors and space age coatings For The Win!

RaZorBurn123, Jayaruh and gorgo2 like this.
  3. Bookworm

I'll try to take some more photos and link them up here. I could directly upload, but I'm trying NOT to overload the servers with random pictures :)

RaZorBurn123, RyX and gorgo2 like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I don't use it that often but black appliance epoxy spraypaint is holding up just fine on my Clix with NEW bar handle.

RaZorBurn123 and RyX like this.
  5. Bookworm

I know that most people go for GunKote and similar, but I happen to like the raw metal look. Some of the others I'll be getting nickel plated. I don't see a need for chrome plating. I've read on a few forums about "it will yellow slightly!", and I have to wonder why they worry about it. (Especially if you add tin, it apparently brightens the nickel) A

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Zwhs.png

RaZorBurn123 and RyX like this.