June 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2017.

?

What would you most like for Father's Day?

1. A brand new modern stainless steel razor baby!

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. A vintage DE razor!

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. A vintage straight razor - I'm living the dark side!

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  4. A nice vintage injector!

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. A new brush - or an old one to restore!

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  6. Some of my favorite soap or shaving cream!

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  7. Cookies - LOTS of cookies!!

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  8. A group intro without this stupid poll!!!!

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

So I think I am going to keep using the injector and vintage blade this month. I have shaved once with a straight, but this is the least amount of time I have used a straight in a couple of years. I don't have any sensation in the tip of my left index finger right now, so some of the skin stretching, fine motor skills, and finesse to use a straight are lacking. I am enjoying revisiting my DEs and the injector though. Next month, I am going to get back into the straights, and start playing with some new hones as well.

Linuxguile, NCoxSTL, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I laughed out loud. Thanks!
    Fuzzy first. I'll go third and Neal can bat cleanup

NCoxSTL, Drygulch, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  3. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I made it home safely and just pulled into my dentist for a crown. Long day

Linuxguile, wchnu, Drygulch and 6 others like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

That Omega #10049 is a 28mm diameter knot. Jason's @jtspartan LE30DC handles are 26mm? You may have to reduce the glue on the knot to squeeze it in. I did that working an O #10098 into a ferrule for my B-400.
    Your O #10066 is listed as 24mm - should drop in without any modifications.

My maternal grandmother was a Boudreaux, mom said we're related to the Butt Paste guy! I should get a DNA test done to confirm the rest. I'm Cajun-Lite, only 25% that I know of. Anyone know any Dutch/Delaware Indian + German + Welsh ethnic jokes?

Linuxguile, wchnu, jtspartan and 7 others like this.
  5. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

30 DC LE handle is meant to fit a 24mm knot. Is 26ish mm at opening.

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, mrchick and 5 others like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

June Focus Yeah!

Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood
    LE30DC Cashmere Cypress
    Osaka Suribachi bowl
    USTURA Shavette, questionable Feather blade
    Schick J-1, Personna Twin blade
    Alum, Osage Rub, Florida Water

SOTD 06222017.gif
    I was due to change soaps today, but I'm enjoying the T&H so took it for another round. Started face lathering but it was a little dry so I went to the bowl. Much more better! (see what I did there @Paul Turner ? ;)) Knowing the Personna Med Prep 1/2 DE blade had passed it's prime I installed a Feather of dubious usage. Not any better, so I laid one SE down and picked up the other. Showing it's shave time of ten sessions the Twin blades are about over as well. Finishing the dance with the one's who brung me awarded close enough to a CCS. Alum didn't fuss, The O Rub was cool, and FW left me refreshed if not BBS.
    Good Shaves Y'all!

Fup, Linuxguile, wchnu and 11 others like this.
  7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Drygulch, RyX, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  8. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I haven't looked at the base of the Omega knot, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that you could Dremel or grind it down to fit in that handle. You really only need to shave it down a hair (no pun intended).

By the way, who's really getting screwed in the betting dollars to donuts scenario?

jtspartan, RyX, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

If it's an Omega 49 you will have a really hard time getting into a 26mm opening. It was all I could do to get it in a 27 mm opening. If you grind to much on the glue plug, you very well could end up with a shedder. Given the price of an Omega brush I would just get another one the correct size. I got an Omega 20107 to use for the 30DC LE handle since it's a little easier to remove the knot than a 10066.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linuxguile, Drygulch, RyX and 6 others like this.
  10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Straights were easier for me to learn to shave with but I agree a shavette is much easier to maintain,, just put a new blade in.

That is an excellent start. The learning curve is longer for straights, you can't expect to achieve the same level of shaves as your DE or SE razors right away.

Drygulch, RyX, Norcalnewb and 7 others like this.
  11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Friday shave:

My woman is in town and it's Friday so I wanted a great shave, so still with Mastro Livi edge is my Gifretto.

The edge is still fantastic very smooth and very sharp. The lather was perfect too so I was hoping for an epic shave. Four passes zero blood a very smooth face but just a faint tickle from the alum left me short of epic status.

Irritation A Closeness A+ Smoothness A+ Sharpness A+
    IMG_3693.jpg

Fup, Linuxguile, wchnu and 13 others like this.
  12. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

A Dutch/Delaware Indian, a German, and a Welshman walk into a bar. The bartender says, What is this, some kind of joke?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Drygulch, SharptoothC, RyX and 4 others like this.
  13. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Every time you post a photo of that razor I have to say I love the way it looks. The scales look great and it looks like a forgiving blade shape not to mention great looking as well.

Very nice photo.

14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Sticking to It!
    22 June 2017

IMG_1396.JPG

Automatic! Other than that...all is quiet in Colorado.

Have a fantastic Friday!
    :)

Fup, Screwtape, MR41 and 13 others like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

You made me snort, thank you Sir!

16. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Hmm. May have to do some measuring. When I put the Omega 10066 knot into my Dubl Duck brush, it was about 19mm on the opening. Once I got the cup off the knot, and rounded the edges, I was able to shoehorn it in. It shed 15 hairs or so and stopped. I am hoping I can do that with the 48 in this brush, but will buy another one if I need to. Anyone have a link to knot specs for the Omega Boars?

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Here's a visual guide. Haven't found the specs yet.
    IMG_0993.jpg

18. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

June 2017!!!

Trials and Tribulations

June 22

Razor - 1959 (E4) Gillette Fatboy (9)
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - WCS Synthetic
    Post - Alum

Well let's put a bow around this dog and finish up, shall we? Third and final shave on a blade that has not impressed at all. Not all that sharp, a bit tuggy/draggy and only DFS with effort so far. Probably not getting any better is my thinking.

However, upon actually shaving with the razor wide open I will say this is the best finish of the three. Ok, so I was a bit premature in declaring it a total dud. I did get DFS, irritation is there but not quite as bad as last night so the extra gap definitely helps this blade out. Still, no reason to keep these around as I don't need a blade that requires a highly aggressive razor to work.

Compared to the SM Titanium, the Blue Diamond isn't as sharp, drags because of it, and just doesn't live up to any amount of hype the Swedish steel might give it. The one Super-Max that has not impressed in any way so far.

So, I leave that one behind and move on to some fine sputtered platinum tomorrow with the Topaz platinum blade. Staying in India, just changing manufacturers. Should be fun! I am taking a break from vacation tomorrow to go in and cover the store. Something's up with a couple of people and they were short one for the day so they offered me free lunch to cover. Yeah, I'm cheap and easy. Well, ok, so I'll pay and I'll beg. Same thing. I guess the commute for one day this week won't kill me.

Meanwhile-in-India_o_93122.jpg

Fup, MR41, Linuxguile and 10 others like this.
  19. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I grew up in India: an entire sub-continent where cows walk in the street and nobody has ever had a solid bowel movement. -Raj Koothrapali.

Screwtape, MR41, Drygulch and 5 others like this.
  20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I love Raj. One of the funniest lines - his cousin in India who works in tech support for AT&T. He gives his Indian name then says "you know him better as Dave". I was working for the death star at the time and that line cracked us all up.

Screwtape, Linuxguile, RyX and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.