Tallow + Steel Custom Group Buy

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Mullen88, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I have nothing against expensive premium soaps. Personally I would rather buy a $10 soap and spend the other $25 on a straight:)

theFAT98 likes this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I feel the same way with regards to budgeting less for one type of shaving item (brushes, for example) and keeping the lion's share for the main hardware (razors).
    But I do enjoy top-quality soaps that perform well and have a wonderful scent.

RyX and theFAT98 like this.
  3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Same here, I'm just fortunate that Tabac fills that niche for me. I guess I'm just a shaving slum:)

Tdmsu and theFAT98 like this.
  4. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I question a bit the expense if they are going to use essential oils they already have. If they are, why should it cost any more than their other soaps.

If they are going to add oils they do not already have, I can understand there is greater cost in buying small quantities.

Of course fragrance oils could be cheaper.

Also, are we giving a direction like I want a citrus barbershop scent and they will come up with one or are we going to say I want this list of scents in the jar? The first will require some experimentation on their part and of course resources so that I could see paying for that.

Quite a few unknowns.

Tdmsu likes this.
  5. Mullen88

Mullen88 Member

Some essential oils are more expensive than others.

Once we get enough participants we will have a comprehensive discussion about what we want. It could be a description of a scent, an essential oils list, or both combined. It will be fun and unique. Those two qualities are what I'm going for with this. That along with a great soap.

RyX, Tdmsu and theFAT98 like this.
  6. drwevil

drwevil Well-Known Member

For me it will cost around $100 shipped for both.
    But for a little slice of unobtainium .... at least in Aussie it will be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Mullen88

Mullen88 Member

I understand everyone has their own ideas when it comes to budgeting. And some people stick with one soap. Others like variety and budget for some great products that can cost a bit more. But all this thread needs is an "I'm in" or "I'm out". And "I'm out" is almost unnecessary, but to each their own. This is not a thread about how much someone is willing to pay for soap. It is a thread to provide interested parties the chance to take part in something special and unique. That's it. Fun, unique, creative, interesting, and a great shave soap and aftershave to top it off.

Thanks.

ob1page, jtspartan, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  8. Mullen88

Mullen88 Member

I agree. Thanks for your input.

I'll be picking up four sets. Two for me. One for my father in-law, and one for my brother in-law.

9. Oasisdave

Oasisdave Active Member; radioactive

I'm definitely interested but would like to know what type of scent before committing to anything

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Great info! Thanks for gathering and sharing.
    This doesn't speak to quality & ingredients of product. Too many data points to consider if YOMV because of skin types, water quality, or application method. There's also milled soaps VS. prehydrated types and that affects number of shaves per ounce.

drwevil and Spyder like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

FTFY.
    There's plenty of discussion about other products elsewhere. This one should be about this project, by folks interested in participating.

"Proceed along the path" Fuzzy @wchnu.

Spyder likes this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Correct. Just price per gram.
    Price is a big motivator (or deterrent) on shaving soap purchases. Read the many positive threads about the outstanding performance of MdC yet many are put off by the relative high price.

Apologies for derailing this thread off the initial topic. My point was to reveal the relative price for this particular limited-edition soap compared to other non-specialty products.
    "I'm out," but do carry on... :happy088:

Mullen88, Spyder and RyX like this.
  13. Micho-Mike

Micho-Mike Member

I am more than likely in depending on the scent of the soap as well, and of course if this will ship to the U.S.A as I know Tallow & Steel is located in Canada. Also, do you have to purchase the set or could it be just the soap?

14. Mullen88

Mullen88 Member

I'll count you as in and if you don't like the scent we choose (you'll have a say) then you don't need to buy.

You can purchase just the soap if you like.

15. Mullen88

Mullen88 Member

No worries. Thanks for your input and sorry to hear that you are out. Maybe next time.

16. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

If that is ok, then I am in too.

17. Mullen88

Mullen88 Member

Okay guys and gals. We're at 6 participants and counting. 19 more to go. Sign up and let's make this custom soap a reality.

18. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Are there any reviews for this soap? It's one that I honestly haven't heard much about.

19. Mullen88

Mullen88 Member

There are reviews on some forums. Check them out. It's a great product.

20. Micho-Mike

Micho-Mike Member

So @Mullen88 is it looking like the group buy is going to materialize?