June 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2017.

?

What would you most like for Father's Day?

1. A brand new modern stainless steel razor baby!

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. A vintage DE razor!

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. A vintage straight razor - I'm living the dark side!

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  4. A nice vintage injector!

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. A new brush - or an old one to restore!

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  6. Some of my favorite soap or shaving cream!

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  7. Cookies - LOTS of cookies!!

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  8. A group intro without this stupid poll!!!!

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Armaf Club De Nuit Intense pairs super well with Fine Platinum aftershave. The aftershave is almost a ringer for it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Time to build your own bathroom.

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I want video when he explains that to the Boss......just saying.

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Man, when you switch on the /enabling, you go hard core.

5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

June 2017!!!

Trials and Tribulations

June 23

Razor - 1962 (H1) Gillette Slim (3)
    Blade - topaz-platinum.jpg (1)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - BoS Omega 10066
    Post - Alum

Staying in India, and, likely staying in the same company as well. Topaz blades, made officially by Malhotra Shaving Products, are part of the Super Max family from what I can discern. I've looked into the whole Super Max/Vidyut/Malhotra thing before and come up assuming they're all one and the same now. The Malhotra family has been heavily involved with Vidyut Metallics and Super Max uses Vidyut as its official entity in India. The more prominent blade name from Malhotra would be the Laser blades, and they still use that brand in labelling their carts and disposables. There are Laser DE blades as well.

The Topaz Platinum is up for consideration and we'll sputter along with it for three days. Not in the way that sputtering is used on the label, but it's a word I just feel doesn't get used enough. All coatings are actually "sputtered" on blades from what I can tell. It's a spray technique on the microscopic level used to provide an even and effective coating of platinum (in this case).

At the mild setting I will say the blade is smooth. No issues there. Not terribly sharp either as it took some doing to get a DFS out of it. Alum was quiet, though, so irritation isn't a problem at this point. It shouldn't be, really, given the mildness of the blade here. We'll see if it pics up on the 6 setting tomorrow to outperform the Supermax Blue Diamond. It wouldn't take much of an improvement.

Back on vacation for two more days after a very busy one day return to the trenches.

indian-burn_o_1145666.jpg

MR41, Bama Samurai, Drygulch and 11 others like this.
  6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I second that. I volunteer to drive there and hold the camera.

7. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Today's shave was the Boker Straight, Maggard Plissoft brush, B&M Petrichor, Fine Platinum AS, and Armaf Club De Nuit Intense. The Boker did its usual good job. The Petrichor is a good soap and the scent is pleasant, though not as earthy as I had hoped. The scent does not hang around, so I tried out the Fine Platinum and was amazed at how much it reminded me of Armaf Club De Nuit Intense, so I followed up with it and it made a fine pairing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Good man.

Proceed along the path!!

9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

June 24, 2017
    Damaskeene Open Comb
    Gem PTFE
    Simpson CH2 Synthetic
    MdC Fougere
    Myrsol Agua Balsamica

[​IMG]
    My oldest daughter, Asha is an upcoming senior at the University of Alabama. She will begin working toward her PhD in Behavioral Sciences after graduation. The University of West Virginia has one of the larger programs. So she asked me to go along for a road trip to Morgantown and tour the University and city. I am excited about spending the next several days with her. So we have a very early start this morning. This hardware and software lineup is very easy to use even when I am half asleep. The CH2 made short work of the MdC Fougere. A wonderful 3 pass shave with touch ups ending in a near BBS followed by a splash of Agua Balsamica was a perfect start to the trip. I hope everyone has a great Saturday.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Enjoy!!! Safe travels!!

11. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Yeah I figured it would to that as well as Executive Man since all theee are aiming for Aventus. Since I love Aventus and cannot afford it, this is the best I could do. I did grab a puck of Fine Platinum recently. It is a good scent

12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Saturday shave

Today's razor is my Koraat "Splash", second shave after honing and finishing on Shapton glass 16k. The edge was very smooth and sharp. 4 passes no blood but a tickle from the alum and a smooth face.

Irritation A Closeness A Smoothness A+ Sharpness A
    ID - 1.jpg

MR41, NCoxSTL, Linuxguile and 11 others like this.
  13. Fup

Fup Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Much better shave this time with the Fatip. Still a raging fire on my neck from the alum but it faded quick. The brush worked really good. At first I was a little put off by the narrowness of the brush but it quickly redeemed itself by the thick lather. But also got the red spots of irritation on my neck. My face is really smooth and soft though!

Happy shaving everyone!

MR41, NCoxSTL, Norcalnewb and 10 others like this.
  14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm glad that Bronson("Danny")was one of the 3 who made a full escape in the classic "The Great Escape" movie.

wchnu, wristwatchb, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  15. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Shavemac AGT LE Silvertip D01 Two Band
    Fine Fresh Vetiver
    OneBlade Genesis V-1
    Feather FHS-10
    Fine Fresh Vetiver AS
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver

[​IMG]

MR41, Norcalnewb, Screwtape and 11 others like this.
  16. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Great setup Clint! :happy096: Have a safe trip amigo! :happy005:

Norcalnewb, wristwatchb, RyX and 2 others like this.
  17. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Anyone who knows me well, knows I have two speeds: 250mph and stop. So, despite the fact that the first 3 shaves with a straight have not been the most smooth, enjoyable shaves of my life, I'm at it again. It's no longer about enjoyment; it's about winning.
    First I stropped. I'm still "riding on the short bus" as far as my stropping skills go, but at least I've moved up from the back row a bit.
    Next I went all in with a 2 pass shave. N/S and S/N. A couple of nicks and a few weepers later, that part was done. My neck hair, however, grows sideways, and requires a third pass. Not sure how to pull that off without twisting and contorting like I'm performing in a Cirque de Soliel show. Back to the back row of the bus again. Finished up the neck and mouth area with the Slim on 5 to salvage an almost DFS out of things (if you don't count the earlier removal of select parts of my epidermal layer).
    Today's learnings:
    1. The "one to two spine widths off the face" advice Adam @Drygulch gave me was gold. Went from scraping to cutting, and hair removal was much improved.
    2. Completely forgot about skin stretching until half way through the shave. I'm out of town without my Alum, so the attempt of skin stretching in the second half of the shave was pointless.
    3. Cheeks and sideburns were pretty straightforward and well shaven. However, how to hold and position the blade for the rest of the face is a lot trickier. A LOT TRICKIER. (See previous short bus comments.)
    4. I'm gonna find the SOB who replaced my AS with battery acid. Almost melted my skin off like that scene with the Nazis in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
    5. Doing this without Alum prevents you from stopping the weepers. Therefore, avoiding "the look" from your wife is pretty much impossible.
    Shave on, gentlemen!

wchnu, Norcalnewb, Screwtape and 10 others like this.
  18. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Thank you, Gents!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

19. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Congrats Clint! Have a good time with your daughter!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Norcalnewb, wristwatchb, RyX and 4 others like this.
  20. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Believe it or not, we are actually working on an addition for the house that will include a master bath, with lots of storage. In the meantime there isn't enough room in the one bath we have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.