Red spots? Newbie needs help

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by CameonBlade, May 25, 2017.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Veddy true!

Only took 19 post to get the cold water folks in. Wooo.

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thanks for the Video Jim @RetLEO-07. Good illustration of making shaving faces. Stretching you skin tight keeps the area you are shaving flatter. Helps to reduce nick and cuts. It can be done as the guy in the video (Was that you Jim? I heard Jersey in that accent.) or by using your other hand to pull the skin tight.

I don't mind, sometimes prefer a tap water cool shave when it gets hot out. Haven't yet but thinking about putting a couple of my menthol aftershaves in the fridge for a cool splash.

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  3. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

That was Geofatboy of ShaveNation.com. When I first did my research on this thing of ours, his videos were the ones that popped up first on the search engine. 'Course I am better looking. :D

4. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Nice Avatar, by the way. :)

5. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

These are awesome suggestions. In my year of classic shaving I have found that technique (ZERO pressure and angle) has the greatest effect good or bad. But, other than that make sure that your soap doesn't have fragrance or ingredients that irritate your skin. Once I found a soap/cream that was good for my skin then I could practice my technique. It made all the difference. I think your choice of TOBS is a good one, but I might go with Jermyn St. or Avocado. Both are for sensitive skin and are available in samples or small tubes. If your razor is the one of the Merkur 30-series, then I think you've chosen that mildest in the line, but (please correct me if I'm wrong) I think the Merkur 40-series are a bit more aggressive. Those are probably not recommended for beginners, but you can learn DE technique with one. I don't know anything about your aftershave, but I, as a rule, avoid menthol and generally anything that seem fern or fir tree based. My skin doesn't like that stuff, especially menthol. The 30-Day Focus will help you rule out skin hurt-ers.

whiteboy_cannon and RyX like this.
  6. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I've seen folks remove the _anvil_/base plate from a DE, and just use the handle of the razor to hold the blade against the cap.

Hey, speak for yourself! I started with a DE, and I found carts to be abnormal, and electric to be annoying.

RyX likes this.
  7. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I'll toss out that I've seen those red spots before, on me. Generally it meant that I made passes with insufficient lubrication, even more than too much pressure. You might switch back to canned goo for a while until you get a better grip (pun intended) on the blade angle and pressure.

whiteboy_cannon and RyX like this.
  8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

LEOhandsomeboy ;)

RyX and RetLEO-07 like this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Don't encourage him. He'll never go away...

wristwatchb likes this.
  10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Truth!

11. RetLEO-07

Very funny @wristwatchb and @wchnu very funny. Thousands of comics out of work and you guys are trying to be funny.

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I Do not charge extra for the show

wristwatchb and RetLEO-07 like this.
  13. capsfanx

capsfanx Well-Known Member

So I've been shaving with a DE Razor and shave soap for about a month now. I was getting the red bumps also but only on my neck. I've read this thread a few times now and have really been focusing on technique the past week. I think I finally got it down this morning. Finally no bumps! What was weird is they didn't show up until like 20-30 min after shaving. I was thinking maybe it was the aftershave doing it. I have been focusing on riding the cap and the pressure. Appreciate the advice guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. RetLEO-07

:happy088: :eatdrink047:

15. capsfanx

@CameonBlade

Revisiting this post. Hope you have had better luck! My red spots came back on my neck. I couldn't figure out what was going on until a few days ago. I ended up skipping the Alum Block on my neck and have not had red spots pop up since. I thought was a reaction to the aftershave and then come to find out it was the Alum Block. I have tested it for a week now without using it and shave daily. No more red Spots. I thought was just bad technique when I posted a couple weeks ago, and maybe it had something to do with it, seems it was the Alum All along.

16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sad he hasn't been seen since the day he registered.

17. capsfanx

Gotcha

18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Drive by posting?