June 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2017.

?

What would you most like for Father's Day?

1. A brand new modern stainless steel razor baby!

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. A vintage DE razor!

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. A vintage straight razor - I'm living the dark side!

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  4. A nice vintage injector!

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. A new brush - or an old one to restore!

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  6. Some of my favorite soap or shaving cream!

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  7. Cookies - LOTS of cookies!!

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  8. A group intro without this stupid poll!!!!

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Norcalnewb, Keithmax, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  2. wristwatchb

Andrew, can Logan participate in MAYhem 2018?

upload_2017-6-24_12-10-24.png

MR41, Norcalnewb, Keithmax and 9 others like this.
  3. wristwatchb

What a memorable trip to make with your daughter! You must be incredibly proud of her. Safe travels, Clint.

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thanks guys. So far we've made great time. Even managed to do a short hike at the New River Gorge [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MR41, Norcalnewb, Keithmax and 9 others like this.
  5. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I _knew_ I'd seen that before. Even before reading your note at the top, I went "That looks like the New River Gorge". My grandmother walked the length of the bridge when they first opened the official "New River Gorge Bridge". I think she was already starting to suffer from Parkinson's at that point, but she was proud to do it. (Oak Hill, West Virginia - Mother's side of the family)

Nice photo.

6. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I dunno... Can "Normal behavior for the age" be considered MAYhem?

My daughter tried to shave off her eyebrows a couple of years ago, if I recall. We've managed to keep sharp objects away from her for the most part.

MR41, Norcalnewb, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  7. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

OK, I'll agree that the ends justify the means here, and give you cudos for creativity, but to say that there is no shame involved may be exaggerating a bit.:rofl:

They used to bungee jump off that thing. Which number were you in line?

8. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Great shave today 3 hours latter can't stop rubbing my face.
    Still rocking the 38c Razorock xXx and Gentleman Jon combo for my blade focus
    Last blade of the week brought out a new GSB to try them again much better results this time.
    Used some Proraso Green today as well and I really love this stuff.
    I should add that I almost couldn't tell I was using Alum either.
    Probably doing back to my original focus setup on Monday Blades Grim Smolder soap and AS Satin tip Purest brush Shark blades and a different razor all week and that will end the focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    MR41, Norcalnewb, Keithmax and 11 others like this.
  9. wristwatchb

Randy, congrats on your progress with the straight razor. This is the video I've used and recommend:

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Can you believe it June Focus?

Klar’s Rasierseife Mandel
    JR#130 Cypress Synthetic
    Osaka Suribachi bowl
    USTURA shavette/ Feather

Schick J-1/ Schick Twin
    Alum, Proraso Refresh AS

SOTD 06242017.gif
    Only had two lapses this Focus. I slipped in a Red Tip DE shave and lingered on T&H Sandalwood soap. Today I chose quintuple milled in-you-face Almond soap from Germany. Stronger than Cella for it's scent, but less residual slickness than Route66 or T&H. Picked the Maggard's knot to start this weeks Focus of lathers. It's quick to hydrate the knot, enough backbone when loading a hard soap, soft on lather delivery. Fresh blades in the razors; 1/2 of a fresh Feather in the shavette & an OEM Twin in the Schick. The injector steel was provided by Tom @twhite from a Type M pass-around many moons ago. Couple days growth gladly accepted the almond cookie in your face strength soap with the Hi-Stainless blade knocking down stubble. Two passes left me knowing my technique isn't progressing when I rely on a back up. The type J fitted with a slightly used Twin blade set gave me the smooth finish I was seeking. Alum was a little warm on my neck from the four passes using up all that lather. The Green Refresh lotion calmed with it's minty eucalyptus magic. A nice no hurry DFS for a Saturday.
    Good Shaves Y'all!

11. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

June 24 - Tabac day!

Merkur 34C
    Rapira Platinum Lux (day 2)
    30DC LE Brush( thank you Jason!!)
    DIY PSO
    Tabac
    Alum/Thayers/Stirling Weekend in Malibu Balm

Today was my first time trying Tabac. I grabbed a stick of it meant for a shave stick container. It even has a push up base already on it. The scent was clean and a bit like baby powder. Not a bad scent but not my most favorite. I will say it is a good scent to me.

With Tabac, I forgot what properties everyone raves about so I wanted to make the perfect lather. Being a hard soap(I suspect it is triple milled), I used my demitasse spoon to scrape several flakes of soap off. If I had to guess about 0.5 - 1gr. It didn't look like much but I pressed it into the metal bowl and dribbled hot water on it. I added a teaspoon to a tablespoon more water and whipped. It dissolved very quickly and made lather quickly. It seemed to take lots of water.

For each of the 3.5 passes, I ended up adding more water. The lather started pretty thick and reminded me of B&M. Unfortunately, for all its thickness and cushion, it wasn't as slick so I added more water on each pass. In the end, it got slick but also lost its thickness and ended up light. A little disappointed but I was happy that the alum was quiet. BBS achieved.

I applied witch hazel and then left my face alone to air dry. My face felt dry like I had put talcum powder on it. I did feel smooth but it was a talc smooth, not a moisturizer smooth. I ended up applying some Stirling Weekend In Malibu Post Shave Balm and now my face felt great.

What amazed me was that the 4.5"x3" bowl was still full of lather. This stuff really makes a ton of lather from very little product. There was so much left that my wife shaved and my daughter got to enjoy the lather as well washing her face and pretending to shave with her finger. She then played mad scientist and added water to see what would happen. The soap only got lighter and the bubbles would dissipate if you worked it between one's hands. This was only after my daughter added extra water. This leads me to believe we were pretty good in lather hydration.

So what did I do wrong not to get a super experience with Tabac? It was good but I was expecting more cushion and moisturizing feel. It was slick only at the expense of cushion. Also, is it drying? It was for me.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  12. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

He only did 1 pass. Is that standard? I've been doing 3, and the second and 3rd are much harder.

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Beautiful country & great photo. The summer before Senior year of High School dad moved the family to Charleston, WVa. While visiting one of his coworkers in Beckley we detoured to see the sights. I've picnicked in the valley below, waded in the river. (not my photo, but it gives the other view)
    New River Gorge Bridge.jpg

14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Congrats on you CT Frank!:eatdrink047:

First lather, just needs tuning in. It it a use little & last forever soap. Sounds like you had plenty of product, but somewhere in adding water you passed up the sweet spot. Try loading a damp brush and bowl or face lathering next time. I don't recall it being a face drying soap experience.

15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Technique Illustrated. Just takes around 100 shaves, back to back. A single well practiced pass with a good blade beats willy-nilly with a 5 blade cart.

16. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thanks. I miss my three kids in the house. Enjoy It while it lasts Chris! It goes too fast.

17. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Thank you!! It is pretty cool:cool:.

18. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I only did one pass for the first month or two. Concentrate on learning the strokes and working on using both hands before worrying about chasing things like ATG. One day it will just start to click.

19. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Nice work Brian!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

20. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I do two passes. Second is easier.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.