SoS: June 19, 2017 - June 26, 2017

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Yehuda D, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Sunday's Shower:

bodywash-Nivea 4 Men (Platinum Protect)
    deodorant soap-Coast
    shampoo-Dove 4 Men(Fresh&Clean, w caffeine&menthol)
    deodorant(post-shave)-Mennen Speed Stick (Power Fresh)**

I believe it's new

2. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Thank you Jorge!

clint64 and Jorvaljr like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod170625.JPG
    Sunday's Shave
    zcws.gif

Nivea Men Face Wash
    Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap
    Jayaruh #188
    Gem 1911 Lather Catcher
    CVS SE
    CWR, Asma Alum Block
    Thayer's Lemon WH
    Lucky Tiger

After my face wash, I applied Proraso Pre Shave Cream. The Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap face-lathered well with my Jayaruh #188 synthetic brush. I did two passes with the Gem 1911 Lather Catcher with a CVS blade, and I ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse and alum block, I finished off with Thayer's Lemon WH and then Lucky Tiger AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Tonight's shave was with an old French Rattler Razor. One of my Rat Razors. I had a very nice 2 pass shave, that left me with a DFS. Zero issues. I like these old Rattler Razors, because they are unique, and very loud, plus, you don't see a lot of them.

Razor- French "Rasoir Fin"
    Brush- B400 By Tom
    Soap- Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Aftershave- Shulton Old Spice
    P6241024.JPG

5. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Tallow + Steel "Morocco"
    DrivenLegend Red & Black | APShaveCo Tuxedo 30mm
    Ever-Ready 1912 | Delta Echo | Gem PTFE (1)

[​IMG]

Tallow + Steel's "Morocco" soap imparts an extremely smoky fragrance courtesy of the abundance of cade. I happen to be a fan of smoky fragrances, particularly those of the cade variety. For those that don't know, cade can ride the line between resinous and caustic. Morocco does just that. I did detect some cedar, but that's about it. The only soap I have that's smokier is Stirling's "Texas on Fire". Some may compare this with Barrister and Mann's "Roam", but only in the likelihood of the stigma accompanying it. Every soap maker should have their Roam. Everyone needs to have that one product that compels some users to erect shrines while other's call for the artisan's head…that one product who's name is invoked by random hacks without provocation and years after its discontinuance. Frankly, "Roam" is much more artfully done than "Morocco" at least from the soap's fragrance. However, the splash is a different story. The cade does make an everlasting presence, but it leaves room for the depth provided by the cedar and other nondescript woody notes. A brief effervescence is noted that's closer to crushed pine needles than it is to the turpentine note of cade. The drydown remains smoky, but much more approachable. The cedar becomes more prominent and singular before fading after about 4 hours. Despite the documented notes, I never once detected rose, Moroccan or otherwise.

As to performance, I stand by my previous impressions, and I feel Tallow + Steel's new base can stand up against just about all of my favorite artisans' soaps. The exception possibly being Barrister's Reserve, but I need to use both of these bases more before I can say that definitively. The race is close, regardless.

6. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I am constantly impressed with your reviews. You have the ability to break down and describe these scents in outstanding fashion. My vocabulary for scent is just about zero, so I love reading what others can really smell and detect in these terrific products. Cheers!

Smooth Steve, clint64, RyX and 6 others like this.
  7. 120inna55

Thank you. I often feel inadequate in even attempting to convey my impressions. I am certainly an amateur with an untrained nose, but I appreciate you comments.

Smooth Steve, clint64, RyX and 5 others like this.
  8. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Blade... ladas
    Brush... restored maderite boar
    Razor... gillette fat handle tech
    Soap... mystic waters coconut sandlewood

Splash... thayers lavender
    Aftershave... mickey lee milk itailian stallion

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

9. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Extremely cool picture and great review.

RaZorBurn123, clint64, RyX and 3 others like this.
  10. 120inna55

Thanks. Yeah, it helps when the products do all the work as far as making a picture look good. These are really nice colors to work with.

RaZorBurn123, clint64, RyX and 3 others like this.
  11. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Sunday Planned SOTD

[​IMG]

Razor: Dubl Duck Goldedge 5/8 Full Hollow
    Brush: WildWestBrushworks 24mm Zenith Silvertip
    Scuttle: TDG Style 10 5½” Walnut/Cherry
    Pre-Shave Scrub: Lisa's Sunny Citrus
    Pre-Shave Oil: Homemade Lemon Lime Chill
    Shave Soap: Grooming Dept Kölnisch
    Aftershave: Pereja Limon Cicegi Kolonyasi

12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

June 2017!!!

Trials and Tribulations

June 24

Razor - 1962 (H1) Gillette Slim (6)
    Blade - [​IMG] (2)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - Jayaruh #46
    Post - Alum

Well I'm happy to say that the Topaz responded well to the new setting on the Slim. Unlike the SM Blue Diamond, there was definitely an improvement in performance tonight. I got some nice audible feedback from the blade as well as a nice smooth feel and two passes and touchup got a very nice DFS. This blade won't be a baby machine but it apparently can deliver a very nice and effective shave in the right razor. It didn't have any hint of getting harsh but we'll see if more aggression brings that out tomorrow.

Interesting note - with the discussion of sputtered and sputtering and all that, I was looking at some data on blades today and ran onto some quite technical pictures and discussion of blades prior to and after sputtering. I suddenly feel quite intellectual and thought about putting on a smoking jacket and swirling some brandy while typing this. However, the closest thing I have to a smoking jacket is a beat up old sweater and the closest thing to brandy is iced tea. Didn't seem worth the effort. So I thought I'd leave diagram showing how it all works that I know is as clear to you as it is to me. Have a great weekend!

[​IMG]

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

SOTN: Early start tomorrow morning means an evening shave tonight. One of my favorites, this vintage Western-style kamisori 'King Pelican' 14; Soap Commander 'Courage' soap and matching mentholated balm, Jayaruh custom 24mm synthetic brush. Perfect shave to end a wonderful day! Have a blessed Sunday, all!

[​IMG]

14. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

Night shift is making it hard to post in a timely manner.
    Simplex 7 / 7 O'Clock Yellow
    TOBS Sandalwood
    Vie-Long Horse hair
    Nivea Cool Kick ASB
    English Leather AS
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Night shift rocks!! So does english leather. I have been meaning to pick up some. The horse brush is nice too..

mrchick, clint64 and Roderick like this.
  16. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Good Morning Everyone! SOTD 06/25/17

Gillette Single Ring
    Wilkinson Sword (7)
    Barbasol Soothing Aloe
    Cold Water Rinse, Witch Hazel
    American Fare Brisk A/S

Quite A Nice Sunday Morning Shave!

Have A Great Day Everyone! DSCF1427.JPG

17. alfredus

alfredus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil Soap, cold water
    Razor: Mühle Rocca
    Blade: Voskhod (1)
    Brush: Mühle XL Synthetic
    Lather: Stirling Bay Rum
    Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

18. Jan Zoethout

Jan Zoethout Well-Known Member

SOTD 20170625

[​IMG]

Brush: Custom "Bethlehem" handle / Muhle silver tip fibre knot.
    Shaving soap: Scheermonnik "Confijter".
    Razor: ATT SE1 (aluminum).
    Blade: Kai Titan Mild (7).
    After shave: Cella after shave lotion.

The Laguiole knife is only there as decoration - from a previous hobby ... ;)

19. razorguy

razorguy Well-Known Member

Sunday 25 June 2017

[​IMG]

Mastro Livi Club Razor 2016: Stellar CarboInox Shave!

Mastro Livi Club Razor 2016 is a stellar shaver and CarboInox is an awesome steel for making straight razors. After having shaved with the horrendously damaged Club Razor 2016 Mastro Livi perfectly reground and brought back to a worth life (those who wants to know more about this story can watch the video available on Mastro Livi Website) I wanted to shave with the original Club Razor 2016 in order to make a comparison between the two. The original Club Razor 2016 has a full hollow for hard beard and certainly is less singing than the reground razor which now has an extra full hollow ground. They both give a super smooth shave and it is evident the reground razor has a more aggressive feel, however providing an impeccable shave. The steel obviously is the same - same batch, very same processing - just a different grinding. I am glad, of course, I own both the original Club Razor 2016 (stellar CarboInox shaver!) as well as the restored and reground blade for which Mastro Livi made a miracle in restoring it. For this shave I used a very old shaving soap: as it was a special occasion, I used the very little chunk I have of Elberel Figaro P.160 Tipo Duro (Hard Type) and, despite it is now more than twenty years old, it still proves to be an excellent soap. Fragrance is gone, of course, but the legendary P.160 quality is still there.​
    • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
    • Soap: Elberel Figaro P.160 Tipo Duro
    • Brush: Mastro Livi Bristle, Padouk, 26mm Knot
    • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
    • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
    • Razor: Mastro Livi Club Razor 2016 CarboInox, 7/8 Full Hollow, Spanish Point, Poplar Wood
    • Post-Shave: Alum Block
    • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
    • After Shave: Pinaud Clubman Classic

20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

June 25, 2017
    OneBlade Core
    Feather
    Romera Olive Wood Synthetic
    Fine L’Orange Noir

[​IMG]

On a road trip with my daughter in Morgantown, WV. I love the L'Orange Noir soap in shave stick form. The Romera whipped up a great lather despite me not using enough product. A smooth effortless 3 pass shave followed my minimal touch ups came close to the baby. A splash of the matching aftershave and we are off to hike this morning. I hope everyone has a great Saturday