June 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2017.

?

What would you most like for Father's Day?

1. A brand new modern stainless steel razor baby!

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. A vintage DE razor!

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. A vintage straight razor - I'm living the dark side!

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  4. A nice vintage injector!

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. A new brush - or an old one to restore!

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  6. Some of my favorite soap or shaving cream!

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  7. Cookies - LOTS of cookies!!

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  8. A group intro without this stupid poll!!!!

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well if you ever run into it inquiring minds want to know how it tastes. To say I'm skeptical wouldn't overstate it. Although I do like Provel cheese on my pizza so my expertise could be questioned by some.

Imos_Hampton_Deluxe-OliveCanadianbacon.JPG

RyX, MR41, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0597.JPG
    25 June 2017 Blade Focus Shave

Pre: Copious amounts of hot water, some soap off the puck and a hot towel.
    Razor: 1966 Schick Krona
    Blade: Voskhod Teflon Coated
    Brush: Omega 10098
    Soap: Catie's Bubbles "Florentine Fern"
    Post: Hot/Cold rinse, alum block, cold towelx2, Dominello Vitali Calming Post Shave Moisturizer
    After Shave: Speick for Men

This morning's shave was a Catie's Bubbles shave. "Florentine Fern" reminds me of a walk in the woods. I wasn't sure when I ordered it whether I'd like it. Well, after the second shave I can say it's pretty damn good. Nice and slick. The 10098 whipped it up PDQ. I could have gone 4 passes if required.
    This week's blade is Voskhod. As before, the Russian steel sliced through my two day growth with alacrity. After 2.5 passes I had a DFS++. Sunday is supposed to be a 3 pass shave, but with my much improved technique, after 2.5, there's nothing left to shave.
    After splashing on some Speick, it was off to the fleamarket with Herself. No discoveries this trip, but there's always next weekend!

Drygulch, NCoxSTL, RyX and 13 others like this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I thought when this month started it would be more of a shavette month. It has turned into more of a no DE month. I have not missed them at all. SE and Injectors are just great raxors. I guess that means I will be clearing out some DE stuff after all. Today was my first run of a Schick G8. A very close shave. The G8 feels almost as aggressive to me as a E2....much more then my G1. Has anyone else shaved with both. Very nice enjoyable shave.
    tmp_16032-20170625_155830-741112182.jpg

Drygulch, NCoxSTL, RyX and 14 others like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Great picture.

Drygulch, MR41, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

June 2017!!!

Trials and Tribulations

June 25

Razor - 1962 (H1) Gillette Slim (9)
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Soap - Dirty Deeds Tobacco
    Brush - Wolf Whiskers Custom Silvertip
    Post - Alum

I made a late inning change up to my shave tonight. Substituted the Dirty Deeds Tobacco for the Arko. My brain was rebelling a bit over sticking with Arko for another night and I figured on a third trial shave where the blade was responding well before, why not. Dirty Deeds really produces a super-slick lather. I can see why @Drygulch likes it with all of his straights. The consistency is like whipped cream too and really has a great feel and scent. Definitely a soap I'll keep around.

The Topaz Platinum sputtered to the end. Oh, wait, that's how it started was with sputtered platinum. It actually did very well overall on the aggressive setting and I'm calling it. The baby showed up with this blade tonight. The cost? A bit more irritation than I would have liked but it's still not over the top bad. Actually, I'd put this blade up against any of the Super-Max blades and call it pretty well even EXCEPT for the Titanium blades. The Topaz outperformed both of those in my trials.

I have some other blades from Malhotra including the Topaz Stainless and some of the Lasers. I think they'll line up next in the trial when I return to it in a couple of days. Going to take a few shaves off to rotate through some soaps, razors and brushes and let my Arko blues fade away. Don't get me wrong - I love Arko for its lather and consistency. I don't even mind the scent. But after a week or so of straight Arko - my nose longs for a vacation. Speaking of vacation - mine is now over. I'm working the next 14 days straight although not all will be full days. I'm hoping to have some down time to work on some writing about my favorite hobby as well. Hope you have a great week! Sputtering out!

vacation over.jpg

Drygulch, RyX, Linuxguile and 9 others like this.
  6. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I have an E2, a G1, and a G8. I find the G1 to be the mildest of those three, with the G8 a little more aggressive but the E2 much more so. I love all three varieties.

Drygulch, RyX, Linuxguile and 7 others like this.
  7. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Good to know on the Sevillle just picked some up myself plan on using it next week. I'm going to pair mine with Fine American Blend.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Drygulch, PLAla, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Sticking to It!

23-25 June

IMG_1397.JPG IMG_1398.JPG IMG_1399.JPG

Super Busy!!! Other than that...all is quiet in Colorado.

Have a marvelous Monday!
    :)

Drygulch, RyX, Linuxguile and 11 others like this.
  9. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

So the usual suspects for the week will be Blades Grim Smolder soap and AS with a satin tip purest brush gentleman Jon alum and Shark Super Chrome blades.
    The variable today was my first use of the Edwin Jager DE89BL switching from the Murkur 38c to this was a piece of cake. The EJ is even more mild than the 38c but it's still a nice shaver. Feels great in the hand definitely well built and I got an incredible irritation free shave with it today. Alum was essentially silent today face feels great. [​IMG]

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Drygulch, RyX, Linuxguile and 12 others like this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Eggggzacally how I rate them.

I was going to do a Injector beginners PIF with this razor. After using it I think I will use a spare G1 for that. Like the PIF going across the street. @Bird Lives sent a E2 and this G8 to me and I have stolinated them both. Well not really as I put a cased Dammy into the raffle to replace the E2.

Drygulch, RyX, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  11. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

That will pair up well. I really, really like the scent on this one.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Drygulch, PLAla, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  12. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Monday June 26. - the last of the soaps

Rockwell 6s on plate #3 / Topaz Platinum ( 2 )
    30DC LE Cashmere Maple brush
    TSD Bay Rum
    Alum and Clubman VIBR

As I reach the end of the month I am also reaching the end of my inventory of full-sized soap tubs. The last 4 are from our own TSD shop; all four are the lanolin version, just in different scents - bay rum, lavender, sandalwood and sensitive (unscented). The performance will therefore be identical. For either my very late night or very early morning shave, I went with Bay Rum for a pick-me-up.

I really like these soaps. The scents are strong, straightforward and lasting. Performance is what one would expect from a lanolin soap -- quick loading, easy to lather, lots of both cushion and glide, and a great postshave face feel.

The shave was my now-usual two passes to an automatic near BBS. I was surprised to get one small weeper on my chin. I think I nicked a small pimple. The cold water rinse nearly sealed it and the alum rub finished it off. No actual sting from the alum. I finished with a warming splash of VIBR to continue the bay rum motif from the soap.

I received my Dirty Deeds Shavey award soap from Adam a few days ago, so I think I will finish out June with a few days of Arroyo Cactus. Actually that "sample" puck looks like it's big enough to last through most of July as well...

Drygulch, RyX, Linuxguile and 7 others like this.
  13. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I whole-heartedly concur my friend....But if I was blind folded....I'd have a hard time telling the difference between the E2s and the G8s that I've had...In fact, that G-8 that Fuzzy has had an Excaliber thing happening....:duel:She demands a light touch just like the E2s.....

Of course finding the right blade razor combo can make a difference...I saw where @Karl G was pontificating on the virtues of using personna/ems blades in the G Series as opposed to using the Chicks in the other Schicks and the PAL Injecto-matic...soooo, I tried an EMS/Personna in my G8 and it was damn near the same aggressive type shave I normally get from my E2.... So my hat is off to both of those in terms of aggression...But....

Tonight I shaved with my Original Hydro-magic I2 with an EMS/Personna and got a wonderful BBS...

You know...injectors an an interesting lot...Even the mild ones will give a fabulous shave...they aren't like DEs...
    A mild Schick if used with the right touch will give a very easy BBS....You just have to be aware of what you want from it...At least these I series....Shoot, one of the worse shaving cuts I ever got was from a super mild L series Schick...I was early twenties, late for date...shaving too fast...BOOM! I took a chunk out of my chin that bled like....well do you remember the Black Knight in Monty Python's "Holy Grail" ? :shocked003:

I've still got the scar...only now it looks a little more like a chin dimple...Needless to say, I never made that date...There was a concert involved so being late wasn't an option.....I thought it would never stop bleeding....lol!

But the point is...Injectors do what you tell them...A mild one will become aggressive if you want it to...and an aggressive one can be very user friendly...Yep! The good Col. did invent a better mousetrap! In fact, his first...the Schick Repeaters are probably my all time favorites if I was forced to pick....

But I've never met a Schick Injector I didn't dig! And thats a fact!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Drygulch, RyX, Linuxguile and 9 others like this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Nothing to add to that. Mostly I use ASR blades in all of my injectors. I currently have a personna injector II in a Schick Stick. (L type head). It's a great shave let me tell you. I agree that most injector shaves are miles ahead of DE shaves.

Drygulch, RyX, SharptoothC and 6 others like this.
  15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

They look good. Enjoy them. Do you know the manufacturing date?

16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

It
    It's great that you made it. :)

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Fuzzy.

Sad to say I'm feeling it a little this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

IMG_0351.JPG

Jun 26 SOTD:

Razorock Plissoft Brush
    CO Bigelow SC
    Gillette Flair Tip Rocket
    Rapira PL (1)
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Proraso Green AS

After a no shave weekend, I had a couple of days of growth for the Rocket/Rapira PL combo. The new blade felt nice and smooth. Two passes for a DFS. I hope everyone has a great day!

Drygulch, Screwtape, RyX and 10 others like this.
  19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great photo Jim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Clint!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.