ARGHHHH!!!! Cracked Wade & Butcher.

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by DaltonGang, Jun 26, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Let me start by saying, read the sellers descriptions well, and look at the photos well. My fault. I bid while tired, and was working the night shift. For some reason, I thought I was bidding on another Wade & Butcher, but instead bid on this, using my little phone. $15.50 down the drain???

Wade & Butcher Keen Shaver. As I received it.
    [​IMG]

Well, I got it today, and then figured out it had a crack in it, within 2 seconds. A big one, at the Toe.
    I couldnt return it, because it was my fault for bidding on it. So, what to do, what to do?? Trash it, and save the scales? Never!! So, project "Grind On It", starts.. How to Grind it to get a nice shaped blade. Even if it can be saved.

Thoughts???

Kokak, Karl G, Keithmax and 1 other person like this.
  2. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear you got burned. Maybe you can make an interesting project from it.

Shorten it and give it a barbers notch?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Kokak, Karl G and DaltonGang like this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I'd look at his description of it. If it says good condition or nothing about a crack, return it. If it does say cracked, you're stuck with it.

BigMark83, Kokak, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    If the description failed to mention the crack...send it back.

BigMark83, Kokak, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  5. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I agree. It's all about how it was described. No crack in the description, send it back.

6. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Can't you round it off? instead of it being square make it round. I don't think you lose all that much from the length right? Save the scales for another razor and order or make custom ones for this one.

7. DaltonGang

The seller mentioned the crack.. My fault. Not the sellers fault. He did everything but list it in the title. Like I said, I was "Bidding While Tired". Kind of like some members I heard of, "Bidding While Drunk".

I will grind, and see about a Spanish Point, I like those. The only problem I see is the blade is almost an "Extra Hollow Ground" edge. Very thin. So, It might not take that much of a spike. Plus, I don't know if the crack will have a mind of its own. It's on the thinnest part of the blade area.

8. DaltonGang

If the Thin Thin edge will not hold a Spanish Point, I might end up, as you said, with a round point. The crack is a little over 1/4 inch in length, and curves towards the bevel at the end. Baaaad Omen.

Kokak and Karl G like this.
  9. mrchick

That's a scary looking crack. It looks like you could make a shorty though. Good luck!

Kokak and Karl G like this.
  10. DaltonGang

Well, I started to grind, very slowly. It didn't go well. With the slightest touch on the bench grinder, the crack finished its journey, and cracked straight to the edge. I thought that might occur. So, a pretty spike point is not going to happen.
    I am rounding it into a rounded toe, very carefully. I don't want to lose the temper, so, I cool it in water., after every couple of seconds on the grinder. This is working out well, and the blade shape is taking a nice shape.

Kokak, Karl G, Jorvaljr and 1 other person like this.
  11. mrchick

Pictures?

Kokak likes this.
  12. DaltonGang

Just downloaded them.

I finished the grind work. I did the basic shaping on the bench grinder, but stayed away from the edge. The edge is too thin, and I didnt want to damage it. I finishe the grinding on the Dremel Tool. I used a small grinding stone for the fine shaping and edge work.
    Then, I took an old 400-500 grit stone and smoothed out the grind marks, and rounded the corners.
    Here is what I had drawn out, then it progressed from there.

P6261029.JPG

P6261032.JPG

This shows the amount lost, as well as the final shape. You can see, from the top drawing, what I was going for. But the crack, and the blade thickness wouldn't allow for it.

P6261033.JPG

13. DaltonGang

Here is the polished edge, and compared next to a Dubl Duck Dwarf. This blade isn't a large blade, but it didn't end up small either.
    I lost a hair over 1/4 inch in blade length, and a tad over that, in edge length.
    So, next comes some light polishing of the blade, then the hones.
    P6271035.JPG

14. mrchick

Nice work! It looks great.

15. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Looks factory and awesome. Great job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member