If you could only keep one safety razor. What one would it be??

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bill G, May 12, 2017.

1. oldtech

oldtech Member

My choice would be my 1948 British Gillette Aristocrat

2. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

My answer a month ago would have been the Schick Type E injector. But the last 6 weeks I started my SE (Gem/E-R/Star) journey and I changed the answer.

If I was stranded on a desert island - gimme a case of PAL carbon SE blades - and my FAVORITe RAZOR -->

EVER-READY 1914 "the mini Lather-Catcher" !!!

MR41, jmudrick and gorgo2 like this.
  3. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I have been fighting a similar conclusion-for me-Gem G-bar. I have been blown away by how smooth and comfortable it is and still as efficient as anything else I know of. I don't want to limit myself, but it is difficult to match a single edge shave!

gorgo2 likes this.
  4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The Cooper MonoBilt
    [​IMG]

MR41 likes this.
  5. Dragonsbeard

Dragonsbeard Member

Not an easy one but I'd say at this moment my Timeless Dual plate ( OC & SB with 95 gap.

Linuxguile likes this.
  6. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

Right now? ATT R2. It has been that way for quite a while. Muhle R41, Merkur 34C, and Gillette New and Old types could not change it, but some potential competition is en route in the form of a Timeless .95 and an Oristo. Out of those two I expect the Timeless to be the more serious challenger, but the Oristo could be a surprise, its design being based on the Black Mamba which is a well received shaver. If nothing else, it should give me a milder option when I want to shave two days in a row. My normal routine is four times a week.

7. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Based on sentiment I'd say a 1912 Damaskeene, but based on logic I would have to choose one of my Gillette Trac II's. Virtually indestructible, whereas a 100 year old razor is liable to break anytime and cartridges are available everywhere. Plus, I get a perfect, effortless shave every time with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chevyguy and gorgo2 like this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

For me if finally did come down to the G-Bar and the '14. It was the G for a long time...and I still have the '12, '24, OCMM, Eyeball and Feather...but when I want an SE shave, I almost always reach for the '14 because its shave most closely mimics that of the Damaskeene (I doubt I can tell the shaves apart, truth be told).

MR41 likes this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

earlier in this post i said i liked my prewar nickel tech the most.,well after a few more shaves i decided i like the small head #20 flare tip rocket.i put blade to face and its just done;smooth easy,i love the weight( heavier than my black handled ss but same head).either this razor works with my technique or i need lots more practice with all the others. i get great shaves with all my gillettes but this seems to be my regular workhorse. maybe i will do a 30 day with some others at some point. mild but very effective, and i have tried this one daily.(am not a daily shaver) with good results,no drama.

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Slight edge to the 2011 version...
    [​IMG]

11. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

Probably my Merkur 33C

12. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My 1950's Super Speed.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  13. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I'ed have to go with my 1955 A-4 Redtip.

Clayton