A OneBlade Razor For $50?!?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by mantic, May 28, 2017.

1. captnronfl

captnronfl Well-Known Member

I did not like shaving with the Core and it left a lot to be desired in my book.
    I shaved with a Gem 1912 tonight and got a real nice two pass shave.
    That was also with the last blade I shaved with in the Core.
    Actually I shaved twice with it in the Core before using it in my Gem.

Keithmax likes this.
  2. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

The Core is OK, but just OK.. It is extremely mild, almost too much. That being said, it's impossible to nick yourself and, if you've got the angle right (even with the pivot head this is important) you'll get a nice shave. Will you use this in a hurry? No. I don't think you can get a 2-pass shave out of it. Does it work? Sure. Is it efficient? No.

Herm

jwr3265 and Keithmax like this.
  3. captnronfl

Some how I managed to get several nicks that weeped on one of the shaves.
    Glad it was only the one shave.
    I think it was because I have familiar tremors that cause my hands to jerk.
    It must have been bad that shave.
    It has happened before with a DE.
    The rest of the shaves were ok.
    Way too much work to get just an ok shave IMO.
    I know others love it.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    jwr3265 and Keithmax like this.
  4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Just finished 3 shaves (total of 6 shaves in all) with the Core while on a trip to West Virginia. I know some people are having issues with the core but I just use it much like I would a cart. I do agree that I really can't see nicking myself with the razor. I find the razor to be mild but not nearly as mild as a Merkur 34c. All of the shaves have been drama free close 3 pass shaves. The Core shaves as close as my iKon B1 OC and standard Wolfman OC and much closer than my Super Speed or Merkur 34C. I should note that to get these results I am using pressure and skin stretching during the shave. For me the Core is replacing my Feather Neo cartridge razor for motorcycle road trips but with the shaves I received I will use it at home as well.

Herm2502, jmudrick and Keithmax like this.
  5. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

so to sum it up it turned out to be 50 bucks of waste for plastic razor?...... no worries OB got u covered with their $400 razor if u don't like this one

6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

If the razor does work for someone, it can be returned. So you are out only shipping.

7. captnronfl

I sent mine back with out any trouble.
    They did ask me to answer some questions but I think that was so they could improve the razor.
    After all they want to make money so they want your feedback so they can make any adjustments that might be able to improve it for everyone.
    I think that they are a good company.
    I would do business with them again.
    Especially if they make improvements to the Core to make it a better tool.
    Like I said everything about the Core was top shelf except for the head.
    I don't look at it like a cheap plastic razor at all.
    This is just my opinion.
    For me it just took way too much pressure to get a shave that my Gillette Super Speed W-2 TTO gave me with a .10 blade gave with two passes.
    Plus I paid less than $8 dollars for the razor and blade.
    That is why I sent it back.
    I was expecting to get a better shave with it.
    I like the style and handling better then my Gillette so if they improve it to the point of my Gillette I would consider it.

8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

One Blade if you are reading this please note that DHL for international is horrible. DHL always takes longer than even the cheapest USPS option. I am in South Korea and for some reason 14 days after you mailed it my package finally arrived in..... Germany, DHLs sorting facility. I am in South Korea..... I thought the USPS had some crazy routes but this is above and beyond. For some reason, DHL always takes longer to get through customs too. :angry019:

Maybe in a couple weeks I will get to try the razor.

In comparison, my Brian Brown razor shipped USPS and arrived in 10 days.

To all our TSD vendors, please stick with USPS for international shipping. :thanks:

9. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Oh, I am not any smarter than anyone else here, but thank you for the compliment.

Are you sure you don't have that prince among razors already? It is not the razor that counts, but the razor + blade combination. One of the reasons safety razors have such an advantage is because of the large number of double edge blades available. There must be nearly one hundred different blades for sale nowadays. One of those blades might make one of your safety razors that magical shaving tool you seek. The only way to find out for sure is to try them.

captnronfl and Keithmax like this.
  10. captnronfl

Shaver X
    You are right about the blades and combo for the DE.
    Just wish there was one third that many for the SE razors.
    I just prefer the single blade razors.
    I find it easier to shave with them then the DE razors.

11. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

I bought a 10 pack of single edge blades from CVS pharmacy a couple of days ago and cut the spine off and notched the sides so it would fit my Core razor. It fit very nicely. I took some measurements of the blade before I did the work and noticed the width of the CVS blades were about .013 of an inch narrower. It definitely loaded into the razor much easier and came out easier as well. I noticed it locked into place and didn't move back and forth like the Feather blades do. I was pretty excited about it until I shaved with it. I did my normal 3 pass shave and it felt like it barely took anythin off. It was a comfortable shave, but I had to go over again and again and it still didn't feel like a very close shave. I ended up using my Gillette Black Handle Super Speed (which is very mild) to finish up the job.

I'm not sure why the CVS blades performed so poorly for me, but they did. Maybe it has to do with the location of the blade in the razor. The CVS blades I modified loaded easily and went right up to the stop and locked into place, but it doesn't move back and forth once locked into place like the Feathers do. I am wondering if this has something to do with it. I'm going to use a Feather tonight on half of my face and the CVS blade on the other half and see if I get the same results.

Keithmax likes this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    So VERY happy mine is gone and a full refund received. I know some of you are enjoying this razor and I think that's great. For ME...it was a...well, this is a family forum. ;)

jwr3265, Keithmax and captnronfl like this.
  13. captnronfl

So VERY happy mine is gone and a full refund received. I know some of you are enjoying this razor and I think that's great. For ME...it was a...well, this is a family forum. ;)
    I am with you on that one.
    I am waiting for my refund.
    I don't think the cost of the ride was worth it.
    I am still scratching my head how anyone got more than an ok shave out of it.

jwr3265, Keithmax and Primotenore like this.
  14. Primotenore

Article Team
    I couldn't even get a blade inserted!!!!

Keithmax likes this.
  15. captnronfl

You aren't the only one that reported that they could not get the blade to even go into the razor.
    There is a YouTube video on it.
    :bounce015:

Keithmax likes this.
  16. captnronfl

Do you mean actually cut or just remove the spine?

17. ninjack

I took a blade to work with me and used a wire EDM machine to cut the spine off and put the notches on the sides. I put a Feather blade on a comparator machine to measure the distance from the edge of the blade to the beginning of the notch and the distance across the notch and the depth into the blade of the notches, then made a quick program to cut the profile I wanted on the blade in the edm machine. Here are a couple of pictures of the CVS blade after cutting the spine off and adding the notches.
    blades-1.jpg
    blades-2.jpg

Keithmax likes this.
  18. captnronfl

That's a lot of work.
    Have you taken the spine off with out any modification and tried it?
    I am only asking just in case I come across another OB Core razor cheap.
    That probably won't happen as they have a good return policy.
    I don't have to do anything to the blade for my Gem 1912.
    I really like the shave with the Feather blade and the Gem 1912.
    So far that has given the best shave, but I have only used that combo once.

Keithmax likes this.
  19. Primotenore

Article Team
    What really fries me is that this company spent countless dollars on an attractive package and yet was too cheap to spend enough to ASSURE that each and every razor manufactured---FUNCTIONED PERFECTLY. Epic Fail.

Keithmax likes this.
  20. ninjack

No, I tried to grip the spine with vice grip pliers and pull or bend gently back and forth, but couldn't get it to want to bend. I was afraid to force it, so I did it all in the edm machine. Once the blade is loaded it only takes a couple of minutes to cut the notches and take off the spine, so not a big deal. Not sure if it would load just removing the spine. I may try and remove the spine from a CVS blade without putting the notches in it and see if it will load, but I thought the notches were what held the blade in place. I'm not really sure about that. I'll despine one tomorrow and see if it will load and let you know.

Keithmax, captnronfl and clint64 like this.