SE Woe's

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by captnronfl, Jun 26, 2017.

1. captnronfl

captnronfl Well-Known Member

Here is what I have going on.
    I bought a Gem 1912
    Not sure what model.
    Pictures to follow.
    Although the handle on it is ok, I would like a longer one.
    I have seen others take there SE handles and use them.
    No problem.
    Standard 10/32
    Went to Home Depot and got a set screw for my handle I was planning on using.
    Checked to make sure I had the right set screw.
    The 10/32 fits it like a glove along with every other handle I have for my DE's and SE's.
    When I try to screw it into the Gem head it won't go.
    It is way to big.
    I took both my head and handle.
    I could not find a match for either one.
    I am a mechanic even if it's a backyard one so I have grasp on what I am doing but I have to say I'm stumped.
    No problem I will just get the set screw that fits the head and add some Teflon tape to tighten it up in the handle.
    I was up there for almost an hour trying to find a match.
    Nothing they had would match.
    Not even the odd ball ones they have to check against that they don't carry.
    If it was the head of a bolt I would say no problem, it's a Whitworth, rare but no problem, I would just get the right wrench to turn it.
    I am at a lost.
    Maybe someone else has run across this.
    I hope so.
    Anyway here are the pictures along with a couple of other Gem's I got in the mail today.
    The thread on the Gem looks big but it is at least one size smaller than a 10/32
    IMG_2865.JPG img_2869.jpg img_2871.jpg img_2872.jpg img_2873.jpg img_2874.jpg

Attached Files:

gorgo2, Douglas Carey and Jorvaljr like this.
  2. captnronfl

Well I got a set screw that was smaller then the Gem's handle screw.
    I found a piece of plastic covering that had been stripped off of a piece of wire I saw on the floor of HD while I roamed around looking for solutions for tonight's great shave.
    I took the set screw and screwed it into the handle far enough that everything came tight with the Gem head.
    Here's what I've got.
    img_2875.jpg img_2876.jpg

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Someone out there has a chart with all those screw sizes listed. Paging @Someone!

I ran into issues trying to swap a different handle onto a Fatip Piccolo. It was an obscure in between size besides being Metric.

Bookworm and Douglas Carey like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I had the same issue with one of mine, maybe the '14, can't recall without looking. Hole was smaller than the usual standard. Anyway, I just tapped it out to 10/32, works like a charm.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  5. captnronfl

RyX
    Figures. I will have to send off for another wooden long handle.
    Hopefuly by the time I want to shave with my RazoRock Hawk, I will have things worked out.
    Or maybe I will make my own.
    I like tinkering but right now I have way too much catching up to do.

DrChops and Douglas Carey like this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

BTW, I found this pic (not mine).

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n260/AndyWelvrig/1912handles.jpg

[​IMG]

The razor in question came with one of these shorter ones but I'd found and liked that tall chain link handle on the left. The razor head needed tapped to take it, so it got tapped, and now it's one happy unit and you'd never know the difference.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Douglas Carey and Jim99 like this.
  7. captnronfl

gorgo2
    I was thinking about taping it out but then I would be out a head for the original handle.
    My handle is the 4th from the left. I actually like the way it feels but it is just too short.
    I just shaved with it for the first time and it was great.
    A whole lot better then the OneBlade Core I had.:)

gorgo2, Douglas Carey and Jim99 like this.
  8. captnronfl

gorgo2 How long is your handle?
    I might try and find one on the bay.

9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

While the Damaskeene and 1914 are the smaller variety, the 1912s are a mixed bag. My Gem 1912 works fine with the untapped 10/32, as do my Shovelheads.[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

10. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

That appears to be the same handle I have on my Gem Damaskeene. If you flip open the head and do indeed see the word Damaskeene, then that is your issue because it does take a different size thread. None of my Gem handles will interchange with one, they will work fine on any other 1912 except the D.

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

2 3/4"

Turns out I have two -- one on my 1914, the other on (I think) a 1912. The '14 (on the left) had to be tapped. If I still had a Damaskeene, this is the handle I'd put on it, fo sho.

0627171749-2656x1494.png

Someday I need to get the '14 replated.

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

A quick way to eyeball which handle is which, is to count the complete links. Long one has 3, shorter has 2.

captnronfl likes this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

This thread inspired me to go through my little box of Gems and Ever Readies. I pulled out the 1912, one which my Dad sent me that I've not used. It has the curved head of the Damaskeene. I put on the long chain link handle and loaded a fresh Pal. Did one side of my face with it; the other side with the 1914 and the same blade.

I now have to rethink my SE hierarchy.

The shave from the "1912" was noticeably less aggressive than the 1914 (which I can tolerate just fine) but I could tell on the first swipe that the shave quality was superb. And it was, all the way through.

Looking online I found someone's comparison of the Damaskeene family. He noted that the 1912 usually has a squatter or shorter head in profile....but mine stands a taller and looks more in profile like the Damaskeene than the '12, even though it's stamped Brooklyn, etc.

I wonder if I have an oddball mismarked/transitional Damaskeene because that's what it shaves like, and now it's going to get a workout pretty often.

Paging @HoosierTrooper ! Any thoughts?

Sorry to threadjack, gents.

15. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Hard to say for sure but my guess is that after the 1919 merger they had some parts still in the inventory that they used up, like the curved cover plates. There's one version from well into the 20's that has a short frame, curved cover plate and nothing stamped on the back that's definitely not a Damaskeene, but for some reason they went with the curved cover plate on this one, while others they produced at the same time had the straight one with the beveled leading edge.

16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Thank you, sir, your input is always valued!

I wasn't planning on shaving with this thing but figured what the heck. Then, when I went to attach the handle, I remembered why it's been sitting in a drawer since I got it -- the hole in the head is partly stripped so the handle has to sit just right to stay in place. It did so this time, and a fantastic shave was the result. I can fix that problem easily, and I will because this thing shaves like I remember my long-lost Damaskeene shaved: super smooth, gentle but not TOO gentle, and a three pass true BBS with absolutely no nicks or irritation.

Best of all, I wasn't even using my SE blade of choice, the PTFE stainless (I'm out). I'm going to have to get some to try because THAT should be a shave for the record books.

If the Brooklyn '12 shaves close enough to the Damaskeene I'll just call it a '12, but the head on mine sure looks taller than the '12 the guy pictured.

Thanks again for your input!

17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Bought a 10-32 set screw today. Very slightly stripped so I stabilized it with JB Weld, now curing. Will attach my long chunky Clix handle. Tough looking combo. Pics when it's ready.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    captnronfl likes this.
  18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

riverrun likes this.
  19. captnronfl

Waiting on the pictures.
    In the mean time I was listening to some old YouTube videos on the Ever Ready shovel head and the guy mention the problem with the handles.
    He said the older ones some times had 6/32 or 8/32 heads.
    Hate to tap them but hay there aren't that many handles out there and I really like my Gem 1912 and shaves great with the long handle on iyt.
    I also bought another new to me Gillette with a newer head on it along with three custom handles.
    I probably have enough handles for a while.

20. captnronfl

Well that was quite informative.
    Just buy the set screws from Standard Razor and I will be done.
    Well all except for the long wait to get them.
    The website says that they will be off until July 10.
    No problem as I am not sure if I will do that or tap it out.