Can you get into straights inexpensively?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Fly2High, Jun 27, 2017.

1. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

I only have one right now, but I kind of like the grab bag nature of it. Otherwise I probably never would have heard of a Hess Hair Milk Laboratories.

Karl G, RyX, Spyder and 1 other person like this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

But a bit more than a 5 dollar antique store superspeed.
    I'm definitely not sayin' it ain't worth it. Just not the cheapest, nor should it be, to get into.

Which bring up, should one strive to get into sr saving on the cheap.
    I'd say also no. Be prepared to buy a few quality pieces, see if it's for you. If not, quality pieces will bring your money back. Cheap just, lessens your chances of getting good results, or anything on the back side, if you decide it's meant for you.

RyX, Spyder, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

David, you and I are complex agreement here.

Jim99, Keithmax and Zykris like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Why spend a bunch of ching on something you may not like?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Billyfergie, Spyder and Keithmax like this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

That will scar you. It's all about having a quality edge for learning. That need not be expensive, and ugly duckling straights can work just fine. I learned on one.

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have one I can pass along. Sent you a PM.

Gnomeo0228, Spyder, Jim99 and 4 others like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Bully! That right there is how it's done.
    Join the dark side today.gif

Gnomeo0228, mrchick, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

My middle name is enabler.....

Gnomeo0228, mrchick, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:signs107:

Spyder likes this.
  10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Excellent!!

Keithmax and Spyder like this.
  11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

You earn extra bonus points for cookies for enabler of the month! Way to go!

Gnomeo0228, Billyfergie, RyX and 2 others like this.
  12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Looks like a dandy Thiers Issard just went up on the BST

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Woooo cookies.... I will send both of the straight in that case!!!

Keithmax, mrchick and Spyder like this.
  14. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

My thought is, the ugly duckling may be great to start and learn on, but if you hate it, your not gonna recoup the costs. Now if you get nicer equipment, you'll have good stuff you learn with, but if you hate it you can recoup some of your money back.

Either way it's a bit of a wager. The befits are having nicer things if you do like it.

Keithmax, mrchick and Spyder like this.
  15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Personally I would rather spend $75 on a brand new, shave ready Dovo than a sight unseen for $43. But that's just my opinion. I didn't start that way, but hindsight being 20/20, that would be the direction I would have taken.

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am the other way around. I get a solid cheaper whateveritis then if I do not like I do not have to worry about selling it. I will not be out much.. I admit I am cheap as heck. I am a Ford truck type not a Lincoln guy. I get just as good of shaves from the cheaper stuff.

Spyder, Keithmax and mrchick like this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

For that same 75 you can get a 43 razor and a 25 (I think it is) poor mans strop...and a cuppa coffee. Just saying!!

Spyder, Keithmax and mrchick like this.
  18. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I'm not sure the economics are significantly different either way. The resale of a good shave ready razor is likely to offset any savings from a sight unseen choice. It mostly comes down to how much you are willing to put up at the front end since the net difference may be minimal. Outside of the economics you can argue a known, good quality shave ready razor can be selected and may be more to your liking than a shot in the dark - which might be of a width and point that doesn't suit you. And, if you end up sticking with it, you got a "nicer" razor.

As to strops, there is a thread somewhere on TSD about making a denim strop and I've heard of guys using newspaper - so there is always that as an option as well. :)

19. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Well, they are called sight unseen but it isn't like you have zero negotiating factor over it. If you're looking for a particular width or grind, you can ask to see if he as any. Or even brand. I mean if you're brand spanking new to straight razor shaving, whether you see the width/point or go with the grab bag, you're not really going to know if its for you until you use it.

Any particular reason?

Bookworm, mrchick, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My first straight razor: a vintage three-pin 5/8" H. Böker in very nice condition AND shave-ready. w/case, $60.
    In hindsight, it probably would have been wiser to start with a round nose vs a square-point.
    After numerous cuts from the tip, I soon became very proficient at knowing exactly where the razor end was during the entire shave. :D

[​IMG]

mrchick, Karl G, Spyder and 1 other person like this.