WSP Shaving Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Badgerstate, May 8, 2017.

1. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Hello all, I wanted to share my recent experience with WSP Barbershop shaving soap. Thus far, I like it. Its got a nice, classic barbershop scent, is VERY slick (its like greased lightning) and provides a good cushion.
    All in all, a very good product. Im glad to see that Im enjoy their soap a lot more than I enjoyed their badger brush (it was a shedder).

2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I have their "Pure" Badger brush, if that is different. I find it OK. As for their soaps, I have Sandalwood.

crackstar likes this.
  3. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I have used both versions and like them both. Unlike many, I give a slight edge to the Rustic. I used my Mahogany this morning.

FYI-The WSP Silvertip knot is my least favorite of my 20+ brushes. Too floppy and does not load well, IMHO.

[​IMG]

4. Paul Turner

That's interesting you prefer Rustic(albeit slightly). I got the impression from Lee on the WSP website that his essential message behind creating the other kind(name slips ,my mind for now)was "You like Rustic? You'll LOVE this".

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Formula T. I like Formula T more than rustic.

Str8 Shaver and Paul Turner like this.
  6. Badgerstate

I had their Monarch brush. Pure badger too, I think. It would lose a few hairs every time and was kind of floppy.

7. Paul Turner

That's the one-thanx.

8. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

WSP is not a bad soap by any means. Not the best stuff I have used, but no negative things to say about their soaps. Have not tried their brushes so that's a different story. Like to stick with synthetics as much as possible cause they barely if ever shed any hairs.

Mahogany and Tobacco were the top 2 scents from WSP that appealed the most to me. Still use the Tobacco splash from time to time, great tobacco cologne type of scent and it lasts pretty long for a A/S.

Zykris, Bobcat and Paul Turner like this.
  9. Badgerstate

Id agree. Their soap isnt the best Ive ever used either in terms of cushion but Id say it is some of the slickest soap Ive ever used. As for their brushes, the one that I had would shed 3 or 4 hairs every use, was kind of scratchy (pure badger, so no surprise there) and didnt have a lot of backbone. I bought it because I wanted an American made brush, which most of WSP's are (although to be more accurate they are ASSEMBLED in the USA). I really wanted to like the WSP brush but after using it for about a month I pulled one of my Muhle brushes out of the drawer and it became pretty clear about which brush I liked better.

SHAVEWIZARD420 and Bobcat like this.
  10. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I have used WSP soaps since they came out. Always great performance. After 3 tins of Mahogany, I decided to try Ol' Kentucky. It has the same excellent performance, but the scent is almost non-existent. I will be switching back to Mahogany.

[​IMG]

Str8 Shaver, Zykris, Tdmsu and 2 others like this.
  11. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hi all, I have had the 15 tin sampler from them for a year or so ago. Mine are the Rustic Shave Soaps. I have to say they really are pretty good Soaps. Of the fifteen I have there are about five that I use every now and then. It's kind of fun to get them out all at once and sniff them one at a time until I decide which one to use. I'm a face latherer, and loading my brush from the small tins isn't too difficult. I use my Simpsons Duke II for this usually. It is a pure badger, so it is stiff enough to load/lather with. I like thier soaps, and I plan on trying their Formula T sometime too. I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who likes their soaps. Thanks for the topic OP, have a great night everyone!

Tdmsu and Bobcat like this.
  12. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I recall trying WSP Rustic from the pass around box and thought it was excellent. When I was in Pasteur's Pharmacy, my daughter stumbled upon a limited edition Black Amber Vanille in Formula T that I found unique and wonderfully scented. Lather, to me, was better than Rustic but only a little. Rustic was already excellent.

Zykris, Tdmsu and Paul Turner like this.
  13. Paul Turner

I'd probably spend a DAY at Pasteur's (breaks for lunch and mid afternoon coffee, of course).

14. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I've got the Rustic formulation of Blackbeard. It's got good cushion and glide.

Clayton

Zykris and Tdmsu like this.
  15. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Hmm,

I have Barbershop, Matterhorn and Sandalwood Rustic soap versions. I haven't tried Matterhorn yet. It's under the sink with the other misfits. The performance is excellent for me on the Rustic soaps.

The WSP Barbershop scent found a fit with my Chanel Pour Monsieur EDP fragrance and Clubman Pinaud aftershave as a set. I even like the Barbershop bath soap as a shave prep for this set. I still have to try to figure out what Matterhorn will pair with in my fragrance collection. I read that it's supposed to pair with Creed Silver Mountain Water, but I don't use that fragrance.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Tdmsu likes this.
  16. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I only have one WSP soap, and it's Fougere Noir. It smells and performs great.

Tdmsu likes this.
  17. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I have Tobacco in formula T and I find it excellent.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Str8 Shaver likes this.
  18. Triplemilled

Triplemilled Member

I actually just bought a puck of their Ol' Kentucky from their dented can sale. They gave me a coupon for $5 off so shipped it came to $7.25 for a full 4.7 ounce puck of tallow goodness. Looking forward to trying it out.

Tdmsu and BigMark83 like this.
  19. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

I ended up buying rustic instead of formula t but think I like rustic better now that I've used it. Their soaps are great but I agree that they are not the best I've used. I have barbershop, Matterhorn in soap. Also tried and liked a shampoo bar. Bar soap and the hair balm. Have several AS. My favorite is tobacco! I wish the smell lingered longer.

Bobcat and Tdmsu like this.
  20. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

One of my favorite scents of theirs, but I've already got two tins of their soap, and about 18 other tubs of other brands, so I haven't actually picked any up yet.

Triplemilled likes this.