Soap Pass-around Volume II - 2017

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PLAla, Jan 8, 2017.

1. RyX

RyX DoH!

You soap doesn't knot the water is "clean" but first it tries to remove impurities. Suspended calcium has to be precipitated out before the foamy lather happens. The good news is there's an easy solution - use more product. Have you experimented with distilled water? Pick up a gallon and try it, it could make your best lather yet.

PLAla and BaylorGator like this.
  2. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I have to get on a plane for work early tomorrow morning, so I shaved tonight with a Stirling sample, as I won't have time for a morning shave. First, let me say I have TONS of Stirling in my den now. It is my go-to soap, has tons of great scents, and performance is excellent. Having said that, Ben Franklin is, to me, a really peculiar scent. Hard to nail it down, but I get "dusty pickle juice". It's not off-putting to me, just weird. Having said that, I've yet to find a citrus or fruit scent made by Stirling that I didn't love. Just not crazy about "dusty pickle juice".

By the way is anyone other than me, @PLAla and @RyX still reading this thread? Seems like the reviews and comments have stopped.

Zykris, RyX, PLAla and 1 other person like this.
  3. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I'm still reading...

Zykris, RyX and PLAla like this.
  4. BaylorGator

No worries, I've just got some samples left to review and wanted to make sure the reviews were worth doing.

Zykris, dustmite and PLAla like this.
  5. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'm reading the posts. I still haven't tried any soaps from the box. I feel bad about that. It's been very busy for me the past few weeks. There are a few pulled out that I'll be trying.

Zykris likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

As folks get to work through their samples I can see the thread eventually fading. The important part of getting hands on soaps and creams we hadn't yet tried happened. I still have +/- 30 little tubs of products between The Box, The Shavey's, and trades with folks. Plenty chances to discover more Good Stuff!
    Sometimes I get weak and use the full tubs and tubes of products I already know I like. Recently I got busy, and didn't even post one report, no photo was taken. It's a Lost Shave... My normal every other day pattern has been interrupted too.

Zykris, BaylorGator and PLAla like this.
  7. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Just a quick review. I had shaved yesterday at about 5pm so I had enough growth to be bothersome but not enough to really do a full shave. Had just a tiny bit left of Electric Sheep and got 3 passes - WTG and ATG with just enough for a moisturizer pass. I currently have over 24 Stirling soaps and have pretty much dialed it in well that this sub 1 gr amount, maybe even less than 0.5, was easily dialed in perfectly. This is a love - hate soap. You either love it or hate it . I Love it! Great scent and awesome slickness and cushion. Always makes a nice moisturizing dense lather.

Zykris, PLAla and RyX like this.
  8. BaylorGator

[​IMG]Back at home and time for the first shave with the newly replated Aristocrat. Used the Crown and Crane Tobacco and Amber sample from the Pass-around. This is a great smelling soap, although, like most soaps, the scent wasn't strong enough for me. (I have allergies so on a scale of 1 to 10 I prefer my scents around a 12). I was able to make the lather thick and dense or thinner and slicker with extra water. It's a good soap, but, to me, not quite on the level of Stirling, B&M, and Catie's Bubbles. Followed up with B&M Latha Oceana AS - one of my absolute favorites!

Paul Turner, PLAla, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  9. topcattcw

topcattcw Member

Is this officially dead? How did it die?

RyX likes this.
  10. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Yes, it's over. We ran through the list and the box made it's way back to me. I don't have plans to do another pass-around, but the two we did were good successes.

Zykris and RyX like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

It was a great experience! Got to try soaps I'd only heard about. Traded bunch of mine for a couple out of the box, adding to the selection for the folks after me.
    @topcattcw - these pass around are member sponsored events. You can start one if you want to.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

12. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I must say that I love - hate the box experience.

I love the fact that I got to try so many.

I hate the fact that, when I got the box, I only had about 12 or so soaps. It caused me to go out and buy many more!!

Including 1 oz Stirling sample pucks, I think I am now over 80 and I just turned one year today in the wet shaving/safety razor hobby!!!

It makes it so hard to pick a soap each morning. At least it is always a good one.

Thanks Perry for a great experience and really getting me into this daily hobby (after all, I am Italian!).

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Not dead yet! I feel happy! Put a pair of Palmolive shave sticks in my cart. They won't be here next Thursday, but it was free shipping from Great Brittan.
    This was one of the samples from the pass around that I did enjoy enough to remember!

PLAla likes this.
  14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

That Latha Oceana sounds like a classic for summer use.

15. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

The barrister and Mann Latham line is highly underrated. They still have that high barrister quality nut the scents aren't as complex.

PLAla likes this.
  16. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have several samples left, so I am guilty of not returning to this thread to talk about the samples.

I got caught up in life again, and lamenting that there are online friends that have disappeared from TSD for one reason or another.

I shall return to this thread and report my shaves with the samples I have left.

P.S. I have a boat load of Palmolive and Arko shave sticks in a box, if y'all need one .

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    PLAla and RyX like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Too late for me, I ordered a pair of sticks. It's almost like mailing Arko - the cost of the product is less than the postage!

PLAla likes this.