For those who like Clubman and vintage Avon

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by gorgo2, Jul 30, 2017.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I never noticed it before (probably because of mental blocks against Clubman) but Avon Blue Blazer, a pretty rare '60s after shave, is almost definitely a clone of Clubman. I've bought BB every time I've ever found it, which so far is exactly twice. For an a/s it's a somewhat classy and refined scent that's absolutely in the barbershop category. I think it resembles Clubman pretty closely, though it lacks the note that always puts me off of Clubman. Maybe age killed it or it was never there but either way, it's a plus for me.

Anyway, should you ever come across BB you'll see what I mean. Good stuff. I mean just look at this squared away young man.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Apparently it's current or recent production in Argentina. Interesting, would like to know how it smells.

[​IMG]

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

On second though, having just shaved, imagine Clubman with hints of Shulton O.S. That's fairly close.

AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

I find Canoe to be similar to Clubman. A Shulton O.S./ Clubman mix would be pleasant. I have not encountered Avon's Blue Blazer in the wild.

Demidog, RetLEO-07 and gorgo2 like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It is very rare. First bottle (big square one) I found about 5 years ago. Second one was in the last month or so, several states away. Canoe, Clubman, BB are all in the barbershop style, as is Windjammer, which I believe is intended to copy Canoe.

RyX likes this.
  6. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I have Canoe(a very welcome Christmas present from Herself) and I consider it a subtle cousin of Clubman.

Demidog and RyX like this.
  7. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

I don't even remember Blue Blazer from when I was a kid and my Mom sold Avon lol. I loved Windjammer, and have found that "in the wild". One of my favorite things to do is learn about something here and run across it on excursions. My eyes will definitely be more open in hopes of sighting some of previously unknown to me scent. Thanks for the post!

Demidog and RyX like this.
  8. Masonjarjar

Masonjarjar Active Member

Is it just me or does this tube look totally out of place for the mid Sixties??

bb.JPG

9. Masonjarjar

Masonjarjar Active Member

I don't know what Windjammer is supposed to be but I love it. To me it's what aftershave is supposed to smell like.

RyX likes this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I think WJ was intended to clone Canoe but that's just a guess. Same barbershop "family" for sure.

RyX likes this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Must be a lotion. Seems like I recall suntan products in that type of tube from way back then. Doubt the soft plastic would have survived this long.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  12. ColtJustice

ColtJustice Well-Known Member

That squared away young man looks like Matt Damon. lol

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Don't know how old you are but I'm reasonably sure it didn't make it out of the '60s. My dad had a MASSIVE collection (dozens of bottles) back during the early-mid '70s peak and Blue Blazer was not among them anywhere. My guess is, it was likely superseded/replaced by Windjammer, as that's the most similar of the best-known Avons.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I was thinking more a Martin Milner type but yeah, I can see that too.

15. ColtJustice

ColtJustice Well-Known Member

Now that you mention it, I can see a young Martin Milner in him, also.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Enrico like this.
  16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks. I will be on the lookout. Sounds like something I would like.

RyX likes this.
  17. Ijustmissedthe50s

Great, now I feel like watching Adam 12 reruns.

RyX likes this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

I picked up a Straight Eight decanter of Windjammer today. Side by side they might be the same street but both Canoe and Clubman are sweeter to my nose. I rate them;

Clubman>Canoe>Windjammer

For sure I'll work the new Avon into my rotation. Who doesn't like a classic fougere at $0.20/ounce? I think this bottle was from the first release of 1968, rather than the re-release of 1995.

Ijustmissedthe50s and gorgo2 like this.
  19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

About those 3 new "Clubmen" aftershaves-Gents Gin, Whiskey Woods, Brandy Spice...I find it interesting that the Gents Gin(which is on its way to me), has been compared to regular Clubman, and Vanilla Clubman, when the guy doing the video for Gents Gin is adamant about it being best to use in warm weather. I'll challenge his suggestion as soon as I get mine.

20. Ijustmissedthe50s

Whoa....are those scents new to Clubman or new to you? Coooooool.... if they're new Clubmans, I'd consider this breaking news, mark the day on my calendar and break out the sparkling grapejuice! I'm chomping at the bit for your answer, Paul, and your reviews no matter what!

EnglishChannel, Enrico and RyX like this.