August 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jul 31, 2017.

?

Using an adjustable this month? Which one?

1. Gillette Fatboy

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. Gillette Slim

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  3. Gillette Black Beauty

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  4. Gillette Toggle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Gillette Executive

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. Merkur Futur

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  7. Merkur Progress

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  8. Russian Ideal or Mladost

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. The original adjustable - a straight razor baby!

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  10. Cookies....just cookies. Seriously, can we just stick with the stupid cookies?!?!?!

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf
    Gem Stainless (1)
    Semogue BC Texugo
    Arko SS
    Soap Commander Love ASB

I received a clog pruf yesterday and wanted to give a go to compare with the OCMM. I am not sure why, but it felt slightly smoother than the OCMM. I received the same outstanding shave I have been getting with the OCMM. I will be switching back and forth between the two over the next few days to help figure things out.

Enjoy your day.

Rufus T., Fup, jtspartan and 11 others like this.
  2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you!

3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Thanks!

4. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Cold water 3.gif
    SOTD August 18, 2017

Blade: Chinese Schick
    Razor: Schick I1 injector
    Brush: Omega 10049 boar
    Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
    WTG, XTG (jaw and neck)

Yesterday was an interesting day. It was fine until about 5:30. I was still at work and my wife called, which is odd because she knows I can rarely answer my phone at work and doesn't call unless there's a problem. Well, our little boy (2.5 years old) was climbing down the basement stairs and fell off the side three stairs from the bottom. At that point the stairs have made a 180 degree turn and there's an opening below the railing that goes down to the floor. It's not a big distance.....unless you're a toddler. She was right there with him but didn't get to him in time to grab him. So he fell and hopped right back up, crying, but nothing seemed wrong as far as broken bones or anything like that. But, then he became quite lethargic and sleepy. He wasn't talking much and when he did he sounded slurred. So we were thinking head injury. A call to the pediatrician's nurse line resulted in them telling my wife to call 911 for the paramedics to evaluate whether he was stable enough for her to take him to the ER or for them to transport. So all this time I'm gathering up my stuff and rushing home leaving some parents to oversee the band kids being picked up (practice was over). The EMTs arrive and basically say they would not transport him and that he seemed fine - that he shouldn't go to the ER. AHHHH!!! Conflicting medical advice. I got home right after they left. We took him to the ER at Children's Hospital anyway, but felt a little better that we didn't have to rush up there. He got checked out and was cleared of any type of major head injury. It's possible he has a concussion but there is no way to test for that other than seeing the symptoms. So we'll have to watch him closely the next few days and go again if something comes up.

He LOVED the fire trucks and emergency vehicles that showed up! He talked about those the rest of the night as he began to perk up. We're thankful that nothing was majorly wrong. However, as you all know, it's no fun to take your kid to the ER or to receive conflicting advice on what to do. I guess always err on the side of caution to be safe.

Anyway, I applaud you if you are still reading!!

On to the shave. Nice, smooth, and comfortable results this morning. The Fat looked a little foamy on the brush but worked into really nice lather with normal face lathering. The I1 injector swiped it away easily. Fine American capped it off with scent and a touch of coolness. Excellent way to approach a groggy morning!

Have a great day everyone!

SOTD 8-18-17.JPG

Rufus T., Fup, jtspartan and 11 others like this.
  5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good picture and setup Perry.

6. Norcalnewb

Great picture, Perry. Glad to hear your son is OK. We had a similar scare when my son fell out of our car (parked in the garage) and bumped his head on the floor. It is definitely a scary time.

7. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Glad that your son isn't seriously hurt. Hopefully he's in the clear and bounces back, with no other issues. I'm sure your heart about stopped for a little while...

Linuxguile, SharptoothC, RyX and 5 others like this.
  8. Norcalnewb

IMG_0575.JPG

Aug 18 SOTD:

Razorock Plissoft Brush
    Barbon SC
    Gillette Black Beauty
    Big Ben (10)
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Barbon AS

@Bama Samurai started another thread regarding blade reviews on which @PanChango commented that it is important to develop some good technique before you completely write off a blade. This blade is a perfect example of this for me. I first tried them a few months into wet shaving and didn't like them at all. I kept the tuck around, and today I got my 10th shave with one of these blades. It was nice and smooth and resulted in a DFS on two passes. I can't asked for much more than this. Now I may need to find a few Astra and Treet carbon blades as I made the sake rushed judgement on these blades. I hope everyone has a great day.

Rufus T., Fup, jtspartan and 12 others like this.
  9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:signs021: photo and effect Jim.

10. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Doug!

11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I am so glad everything turned out ok. It is always scary when something like this happens to our children.

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great photo Jim. Your advise on revisiting blades is very true. I would say it holds true for most all hardware and software as well.

13. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Glad your son seems okay, Perry. You may want to consider putting some chicken wire on that gap.

And consider yourself added to my earlier list of purveyors of fine photos in this month's thread.

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

August 18, 2017
    OneBlade Genesis V2
    Feather FHS (5)
    “The Rowl” Shavemac D01 2 Band Flat Top
    Cold River Jeff’s Soap
    Myrsol Agua Balsamica

[​IMG]

This is my first use of a very special soap, Jeff’s Soap. The soap is made by Cold River with the proceeds going to help with medical bills. Check out the this thread for more info. http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/help-for-a-dear-friend-jeffs-soap.57032/#post-1299168 . To my nose the soap has a bright clean fougere type scent with a citrus and floral background. Even my wife and daughter had positive comments on the scent which is always a huge plus. I have long thought that Route 66 soaps were among the easiest to lather. I would say that Jeff's Soap is just as easy to lather with excellent slickness. After 5 shaves the Feather FHS blade gets a little tired so I went with a 3 pass shave followed by touching up my lower right neck and jawline. The end result was near perfect. After using the Genesis for 24 shaves I will put it aside and use some of my other razors. Given its consistently good shaves and ease of use, the Genesis has earned a spot on my "A" string. I finished the shave with a splash of Myrsol Agua Balsamica. I hope everyone has a great Friday.

Rufus T., Fup, jtspartan and 9 others like this.
  15. Norcalnewb

Clint, that is a beautiful photo. Very elegant.
    :happy096:

SharptoothC, FaceScraper and clint64 like this.
  16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim. The soap came in yesterday's mail and I couldn't wait to give it a try.

17. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Clint! I would agree, revisiting all hardware and software could provide for some pleasant surprises if a rushed judgement was made. In reality, I wish I had listened to one of the most common pieces of advice that is given on this forum: don't buy a bunch of equipment until you have good technique. I would have save myself money and definitely been able to make better judgements for myself about what worked and what didn't.

18. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Saying a prayer for the boy, Perry. That's always tough.

19. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

You know your boy better than the EMT's. Based on the signs you definitely made the right call by transporting to the ER. When we smell smoke, we should check for a fire. Neurological damage can be kind of a different animal to detect and treat than maybe other types of injuries. Not presenting classic symptoms immediately after an injury doesn't mean damage hasn't been sustained. Good call to play it safe, Dad!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  20. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Thank you all! I knew this crew would understand the challenges of that type of event. We'll see how today and this weekend goes with his progress.

@entropy1049 - you are exactly right. The EMTs said "he seems fine to us" which bristled my wife. I wasn't there for this, but she said she told them "Well.....he's not fine, I can tell you that". We know our children best and even though he was perking up we still felt the need to go in.

Again, thank you for all the well wishes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.