Morbid topic- what to do with your shave crap when you are gone

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Drygulch, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

I have told my wife to keep anything she wants as a keepsake, and that the rest should be PIF'd to the shaving communities I frequent.

(Ut-oh, did I just put a target on my back?)

Spyder, Keithmax, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I'll be dividing up my collection between two of my Grand Nephews. The oldest will be shaving in a couple of years and also I will be having two Flair Tips refinished for them. One in Pittsburgh Pirates colors and the other in FC Barcelona colors. Maybe that'll get them going on wet shaving. Also I will pick out a couple items for my GF's son, as he will be wet shaving as soon as he gets a starter package we are sending him soon.

Spyder and Keithmax like this.
  3. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Nah...
    IMG_0993.JPG
    :D

Chuck F, Spyder, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  4. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Oddly enough, I have experience with this since my family has had several older members pass away who wet shaved their entire lives and because my wife does estate sales and this comes up frequently.

You have a few options:

1) dole it out to friends and family in a Will. This is pretty self explanatory, but it may re-invigorate wet-shavers or even introduce them to wet shaving.

2) sell all but one setup (1 razor, 1 brush, 1 soap, etc) when you feel you are old enough. This will likely get you the maximum dollar value. Then pass the setup on to a child or your wife so they can remember you each time they use it.

3) talk to your wife about the true value so that she can become interested, or at least know how to price it. This can be a double edged sword (no pun intended). On one hand, she could get into wet-shaving and/or re-live memories of you when you pass and she is selling these items....or, she could resent the money you spent and be burdened with the sale after you pass.

4) pif it all. Preferably to me:) just kidding...of course, if you want to, I wouldn't turn you down. Seriously...do a mass pif as an act of Goodwill. Think of how much you have learned from this hobby and how many people that could enjoy it.

5. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

When I'm gone, dead, kaput, stiff as a board, what could I possibly care about any of my "stuff"? It's up to those left behind to assess its worth, or not, and dispose of it as they see fit.

Spyder, mrchick and Keithmax like this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I'm taking mine with me :sick013: and here lies Keith's shaving stuff

Yehuda D, John Beeman, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  7. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:eek: :happy097:

Spyder, Keithmax and MR41 like this.
  8. dapper636

dapper636 Active Member

I am just planning on never dying

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

9. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

A big funneral pyre with my laid to rest on top of all my stuff.

Screwtape, Spyder and Keithmax like this.
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Not with shaving stuff as my dad had a single injector and an old spice mug, but with he was a life long firearms collector and had a number of early winchester and browning long guns and a safe full of revolvers. He had them documented with a picture, approximate value, serial number, and any pertinent information. My mom would have still gotten soaked trying to sell them, so I sold the vast majority of them on gunbroker for her. Out of all of them, I kept one of his favorites that he used to carry when he taught me small game hunting as kid. It had no value to anyone but me, a banged up single barrel 20ga H&R with the forarm held on with bailing wire. :)

I am single and have no kids, so all of my stuff is going to a life long friend of mine. He can keep what he wants, sell the rest etc. It won't matter much to me as I won't be around any more.

11. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

My main thought with this post was to spare my family having to "get rid of" stuff that I obviosly care about, without just giving it away. I will be gone, so I won't really care. I also have my leatherworing tools and a few other small collections. Having recently had to go through my Mom's stuff after she passed, I want to make that process as easy as possible for them.

alpla444, Keithmax, PanChango and 2 others like this.
  12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I think documenting it all with pics and approximate values would make the most sense. Other than that, I would just slim down your collection to your favorite few pieces. Less on hand is less to get rid of down the road.

Keithmax likes this.
  13. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

I'm taking all my stuff with me so I can walk the streets of gold well-groomed.

COMPNOR and Keithmax like this.
  14. Infantry23

Infantry23 Member

Luckily I have a few sons who could find a use for my things

Stu929 and Keithmax like this.
  15. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Means we need to get you a few more! Don't forget about your girls.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Keithmax likes this.
  16. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I don't plan on dying either so it's a moot point

Keithmax, COMPNOR and DaltonGang like this.
  17. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I requested that my stuff, shaving or other, go to my children in a schoolyard pick, where my oldest gets first pick. I figure it's going to be theirs to keep, sell, gift or throw away as they see fit. To much to enjoy in life without worrying what happens when I'm gone...

Keithmax, Yehuda D and DaltonGang like this.
  18. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I am photo-documenting my collection and I have identified those heirloom items that I want my son to keep (e.g. my Father's Gillette Executive) Everything else he can sell. My other option is to take it with me to the grave. When I die I imagine the place I am going it will be quite warm and I would hate to grow a beard.

Screwtape and Keithmax like this.
  19. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

She's already got half that stuff boxed up, the other half....... YARD SALE. Lol

Drygulch, Keithmax and Rusty blade like this.
  20. Infantry23

Infantry23 Member

You're right. My big girl likes the DE she's been test driving!

Screwtape and Keithmax like this.