What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Vampire razor returns.....

My Robert Williams Purist came with an über sharp edge when I bought it but I was always cutting myself with the tip and heel. So it the razor was sidelined and tried to sell it, but no takers. So I decided to try and mute the tip and heel, it was a massive fail and all I did was screw up the edge and couldn't fix it.

@DaltonGang make a generous offer to attempt to hone the razor for me, so across the Pacific the vampire razor did fly. I was hoping he would fall in love with the razor and I would never see it again. Alas he shaved once and sent it back... so the Vampire blade returns, but with muted tip and heel... was as much as it can be muted with this razor design.

So I waited for a day when I had allot of time and a clear mind, today is that day. I went with my best accoutrements, a Thäter two band, Castle Forbes with AoS tallow soap to give the best possible chance not to bleed. Wow this blade is sharp, sharper than a new Feather Pro in a Feather DX, if I do not cut myself this will be an epic shave. Usually I would nick an earlobe but I was extra careful and my ears are still attached and not bleeding. Then came the fourth pass where I do an ear to adams apple pass, this is where the Vampire razor would scratch my neck, I guess my skills have improved and no blood. :happy093:

Zero blood, zero irritation and a dolphin smooth face, yes an epic shave.

I learned two things today, Mr. Dalton is a far better honer than I and the Vampire will not be sold.

ID - 1.jpg

2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Win-win. Scott is a cool dude, even if he is from Texas :D

3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Thanks for the compliment, and it was a pleasure to hone this working piece of art. It's a beautiful razor, that shaves great. I agree about the tips, especially the heel. That heel was dangerous. It needed to be tamed.

5. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

wb3.jpg I started shaving with a straight razor three years ago .This is the first straight razor I bought and learned on .Thought it was time to take it out of storage .I was intrigued by Billy's aka the Scottish Ninja experience in honing his Wester Bros. on an Arkansas Surgical Black .I gave the razor the Ninja's treatment .Wonderful smooth shave with an extreme keen edge .Razor is a 5/8ths Wester Bros,

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Saturday Straight's Shave
    [​IMG]

Proraso Pre Shave
    Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap
    Jayaruh #144
    Russian Rocket Raketa Straight
    CWR
    Thayer's Peach WH
    Barbasol AS

This is my first shave with this razor. I sent it off to @twhite for honing (thanks, Tom) and got it back yesterday just in time for Saturday Straights. This razor actually completes my seven day set of shave ready razors.

I started off with Proraso Pre Shave. The Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap face-lathered well with the Jayaruh #144 finest badger brush. I did the two passes with the Russian Rocket Raketa Straight and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayer's Peach WH and then Barbasol AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I did a three pass shave with my FW Engels this morning and ended up with a BBS shave except for a couple of spots on my neck. I love the keen edge this razor has.

IMG_2586.jpg

8. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Flic . Top shelf shaver. Enjoy your weekend boys!

IMG_1473.JPG

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Dubl Duck Dwarf 5/8"
    [​IMG]

11. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

12. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

French frameback time. A fine shave today. :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    AOS Lavender PSO
    Mike's Natural Soaps Hungarian Lavender
    Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip Badger
    Arbenz Frameback
    Osma Bloc d'Alun
    T&H Classic After Shave Balm

Arbenz AOS MNSHL SM TH.JPG

Happy shaving - Karl

13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Tonight's shave was with a Japanese Folding Kamisori. I had a fine 2 pass shave, that left me with a DFS. There were zero issues. This is a heavy, and thick razor, that is very well built.

Razor- Japanese 泰平 TAIHEI 東京 Folding Kamisori
    Brush- Semogue 1800 Boar
    Soap- Stirling Ozark Mountain
    Aftershave- Shulton Old Spice
    P8191152.JPG

14. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

FREDERICK REYNOLDS " IMPERIAL Honed up to 8K on Sharpton Glass .Then Finished on a J-Nat .I liked how it shaved with the J-Nat edge.Nice and keen.Just about BBS in Two Passes .The thumb notch made me buy it.
    fr11.jpg

15. LSUfanBR

LSUfanBR Well-Known Member

I love the look of the handle on your razor! By the way, how do you like Lucky Tiger? I've always wanted to give it a try as I am a Tiger fan of another sort.

16. mrchick

I use it almost every day. I love the way it makes my skin feel and it has a pleasant scent that fades quickly. It doesn't interfere with my After Shave b

17. LSUfanBR

Which Lucky Tiger product is it by the way?

18. mrchick

[​IMG]

19. LSUfanBR

Thank you!

20. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I am Lucky Tiger fan too, good stuff! I used it today, just did not put it in the picture.