Any Pocket Knife Folks Here?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Redrock, Apr 8, 2016.

1. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

I carry a safety knife at work.

I used to have a pocket knife all of the time when I grew up, as I was out in the country. Now, I would never carry one, as it's an easy concealed weapons charge.

2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

In PA?

3. alphage

alphage Member

The Kellam, hm10 looks really good to me.
    kellam, hm10.jpg

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'd love to be able to carry a sheathed fixed blade, but working in a school and living in the area I do, practically the suburbs of Philly, just can't do it. :(

5. alphage

alphage Member

Thank you for your quick alert, Swarden43.

6. ColtJustice

ColtJustice Well-Known Member

Is that any pocket knife, or any over a certain size? I have a few "pocket" knives with 6" blades, but most have 4" or less.

7. PickledNorthern

6" bladed pocket knives? You must have some heavy pockets.

In all seriousness though, even my biggest hunting knife (Buck General) only has a six inch blade, and I used that one more for butchering hogs than hunting.

My biggest pocket knife is a inexpensive Buck clip on that I use at work, and it has a 3 1/4" blade. I suppose knives are like shaving brushes, size is a preference thing, but I seldom want a knife in my pocket that has a blade more than 2 1/2 - 3". Anything more than that, and I'm playing/working outdoors and wearing a Leatherman or a sheathed knife anyway.

swarden43 likes this.
  8. PickledNorthern

Steve - Would something like this be a good compromise?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buck USA so the good line, but not super expensive, classy looking, 2 1/2" folding locker with thumb assist, and sheath. Heavy, but still small enough to easily go in a pocket too.

It is one of my all time favorites. In fact, it is my second. When I lost the first, I ordered another one right away.

gorgo2, AGHisBBS, Puma and 3 others like this.
  9. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

This just went on my Christmas wish list!

twhite likes this.
  10. ColtJustice

ColtJustice Well-Known Member

:) All my pockets have holes in them, so I can't carry them anymore. I have to put them in a sheath on my belt, which I don't really like because that's an extra step to get to it. lol, My Kershaw Leek only has a 3" blade. I carry that one everywhere. Except maybe the courthouse. They have rules. :( :)

11. swarden43

I like it. Really like the fact it has a liner lock. What's the model #?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  12. swarden43

All my pockets have holes, too. So do all my socks. It's the only way I can get my hands and feet in 'em!!!

:happy102::happy097::happy102::happy097: I kill me!

PickledNorthern and twhite like this.
  13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

swarden43 likes this.
  14. PickledNorthern

Good Lord for bad. You need some type of "Bah Duhm Ching" GIF you can follow up with.

swarden43 likes this.
  15. PickledNorthern

I just don't understand. And I am honestly asking... What do you use a 6" bladed pocket knife for? As I said before, my biggest non kitchen knife is 6". And the most use it has ever seen was for "slitting hogs". I was always the big kid, and grown ups will pass "hog wrassler" off to whomever can do it, I swear. So my job was to work the chute. I had to get em pushed into the head gate, a "grown up" would give them a pop in the head with a .22 and I had to be on them as fast as I could see their finger flinch so they didn't thrash, and slit them ear to ear in a stroke. It was a normal fall Saturday to do 15 to 20 hogs at a pop. Then we started peeling and halving, but my 6" knife went to a drop point 5".

I'm just not sure what the giant knife knife phenomenon is all about. Course I have my ideas how it all got started:

[​IMG]

Maybe I am just becoming an old curmudgeon.

16. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

After 5+ years of almost daily use, I gave the one on the left my friend.

[​IMG]

AGHisBBS likes this.
  17. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

I go into Harrisburgh and Philly a lot. Both places do not look kindly on pocket knives.

18. swarden43

20170819_162002.jpg 20170819_162031.jpg Fresh off the mail truck.

19. swarden43

Saw this ---> https://allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53393

20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

gorgo2 likes this.