What Manly Things Did You Do Today?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by jwr0201, Jan 17, 2015.

1. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Took pictures of the solar eclipse! ;) And 2 loads of dishes, my ironing, baking, etc. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS likes this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Why would you want pictures of your dishes, ironing, or baking? :rofl:

3. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Because, 'pics or it didn't happen'. LOL!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

A wise man right there. :)

lradke and swarden43 like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Well played, Sir!

richgem, GarnerPW and lradke like this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I ate the dinner my husband cooked.

7. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

Is he really that bad of a cook?

richgem and PickledNorthern like this.
  8. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Seasoned a Chinese yixing clay teapot to use for oolongs.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  9. swarden43

That sounds interesting. How do you season it?

10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Actually he is pretty good at it.

11. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

First you give it a good scrubbing (no soap), then place it in a pot of boiling water (keep in mind these teapots are very small), after boiling for a while you add a few ounces of whatever type of tea you want to use the pot for and let it boil for half an hour, turn off the heat and let it soak while the water cools off then remove the teapot from the tea and rinse. Only use that teapot for that type of tea. Not necessarily that specific tea varietal, but family, for instance Green, Black, Oolong, Pu'er etc.

AGHisBBS and Erik Redd like this.
  12. ColtJustice

ColtJustice Well-Known Member

I shaved my face. That's pretty manly. :happy005:

GarnerPW likes this.
  13. swarden43

Hmmm.. my wife is a tea drinker. Christmas is is coming... hmmm...

14. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_1059.PNG

AGHisBBS and ColtJustice like this.
  15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

IMG_0435.JPG

I built a teeny-weeny boat. I give you the good ship Boaty McBoatface.

Erik Redd and AGHisBBS like this.
  16. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

The power went off at work, so I left early.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I steam-cleaned the carpet yesterday. The liquid in the collection tank was just about black, since it had been too long since the las time I steamed it. So I did it again today. The water in the tank was a more reassuring gray.

AGHisBBS and RetLEO-07 like this.
  18. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_1162.JPG
    Since my lovely bride brought me back Cuban cigars from Italy, I've decided to get back into it. So I figured I would need a humidor. Picked up this box at AC Moore. The front handle is gonna go. I sanded it down this afternoon. My local cigar store guy is going to save me the cedar liners from some cigar boxes. That might take a couple of weeks. In the meantime, I ordered some humidity control stuff from Heartfelt industries.com(h/t @jaxstraww). I'll probably stain it next weekend and then the fun of filling it up will commence after I get the interior done.

19. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

Please post pics a long the way. I for one would like to see how turns out.

RetLEO-07 and richgem like this.
  20. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

Been using HF beads since he opened up in early 2000. Make sure you buy a small thing of distilled water for the initial charge of the beads as well as a Hygrometer for inside the box. Glad you threw David (if he still owns it) your business. If you use tap water the beads will retain any impurities. If at anytime you get the beads to wet you can gently warm them up in the oven to dry them out. Gently.......low heat and only a few minutes.

Use an electronic hygrometer. You can salt test to make sure it is reading correctly (google salt test and hygrometers). The analog ones work but I seen allot of projects when one is put into a box just to create a seal issue around the hygrometer.

Box looks great. Not your normal looking humi. With any box you need to make sure the seals are good without using a glue or epoxy with scent. Get it finished and throw in a flashlight and seal it. Shut off the lights and get it as dark as you can. Any aura comes out from the seals you have a leak. Another seal test is the dollar bill. Place the dollar over the lips and close the lid. You shouldn't be able to easily pull out the dollar bill. It should be stuck or on the verge of ripping. I prefer the flashlight because it is one and done.

For now ask your local guy for an extra box or two. Store the smokes in those and place in the humi once finished until you get enough Spanish cedar to line the project. Spanish cedar is great but not necessary. Spanish cedar has a resistance to tobacco beetles and why it is so popular. Worse thing in a box is a beetle outbreak and why many guys will freeze cigars 1st before placing them with their stash especially if they order from overseas. Temperature is an often overlooked item and if it gets to hot that is what can make tobacco beetles come to life. Also, going to hot and cold will unglue the wrapper and generally takes away the highlights of a great cigar. Think of it like a beer getting hot and cold all the time. I tend to store mine in a room that is frequented by people since that will mostly be in the 70 degree range 24/7.

Good luck with the project. Maintain the seal, use the beads and pay attention to temp and humidity using a hygrometer and the cigars will take care of the rest.

PM your address.........

AGHisBBS and swarden43 like this.