Gillette Tech Sport

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Knox, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

O 1 - First quarter 1969. The above pic looks like flea bites, but it's actually just water. The razor is like new. Here is another shot:

IMG_3492.JPG

2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Looks great!

3. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I completely agree it is not the amount of $$$ that makes a razor shave great. It is the geometry.

When I often recommend the really dirt cheap RiMei razor (a Tech geometry clone), I notice most of the time people don't buy this razor. Probably it is because of how cheap it is. They don't believe they get a good shaver this cheap. Those of my friends that got this as their first razor still consider it to be their favorite razor, despite trying other razors.

Tech is a great design, and there is a Tech for everybody wanting one as there are both vintage versions and modern clones, all according to your taste.

TobyC, BigMark83 and Enrico like this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011:

5. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Well, for the first time in about a year, I haven't changed razors for the new week.

My routine is this - Every Saturday, I clean current razor and load a new blade into a different razor (I could go longer than a week on a blade, but I have a major stash that will last me into my 90s using one blade per week).

I couldn't give up the little Tech Sport this week, though. How can this little guy beat out my entire collection? My Fatboys and Slims are dumbfounded as well.

TobyC likes this.
  6. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

What is that?

InkedIMG_3492_LI.jpg

7. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Just light reflecting in an odd way.

And a bit of the blade that sticks out on both sides.

8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I saw that also and first was wondering. I had to zoom and realized it was held at angle causing a strange reflection (it's just that shiny). :D

Knox likes this.
  9. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

While I'm not a fan of Zamak I'm glad you like this razor. I've got a PW tech and it's the only way I'll use a Feather, besides my BS. I put one in it and I finally enjoyed using a Feather.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Knox likes this.
  10. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Gillette started using Zamak heads during the Korean war and many of the best looking Techs out there today are the ones with Zamak heads. If they work and last and look good for over a half century then Zamak can't be all that bad.

Knox likes this.
  11. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I cannot abide the razor snob (directed at nobody in particular). Some of my best shaves are with "throw away" razors. I'm consistently amazed by their performance. These two are $1 and $4 respectively.

. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Knox and gorgo2 like this.
  12. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I collect and use techs frequently. They are incredibly underrated. With good skill, they will produce a bbs shave EVERY time. There is a reason they were made for 5 decades.

13. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Here is a pic of some of my techs:

IMG_20170914_225703.jpg

I have several more, but this is a good representation.