Recommendations for a DE Newbie & Opinions on the Merkur Futur

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by LSUfanBR, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I use to strop my carts on a strip of denim.

FaceScraper likes this.
  2. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Save yourself the hassle. $10 for 100 blades on Amazon. Use each one three of four times and toss it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dansco likes this.
  3. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Amen. One of my main reasons for switching to DE. Not too worried about the number of shaves I get from each now..

FaceScraper likes this.
  4. LSUfanBR

LSUfanBR Well-Known Member

I started with a DE a week ago however and cant stand it so far, so I may be going back to carts.

5. FaceScraper

What don't you like about it?

6. LSUfanBR

For my cartridges I usually use my forearm or an old pair of jeans. I know a cartridge cant be stropped so all it really does is clean it but I would like something to keep in the bathroom so I dont have to keep an old pair of jeans lying around to go grab.

Linuxguile and FaceScraper like this.
  7. LSUfanBR

To get a good shave for me so far It takes a long time. I made the mistake of taking long strokes the first time and cut my self up pretty bad. I noticed slow short strokes work much better but it takes longer than my Atra which also has widely available cheap cartridges. I'll keep trying though and work on my technique.

Linuxguile and FaceScraper like this.
  8. LSUfanBR

I know some people hate cartridges but to me they work fine as long as I prep by lathering up a cream with a warm wet brush and then applying it with the brush. However I prefer the Atra and Mach 3 , but the Atra is my current cart razor as Mach3 carts are overpriced for their age.

FaceScraper likes this.
  9. FaceScraper

It is an art of patience to start. My first month or so, it took me about 45 minutes for a shave. Cuts will happen. Irritation will happen. Once your technique improves, things get better. The speed comes with time as well.

LSUfanBR likes this.
  10. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Definitely the biggest downside for me so far.

I can live with the occasional nick or the slightly increased irritation I'm getting on my neck but it's hard to take the increased time invested in getting a good shave unless you really enjoy it. I've taken to thinking of it more as an experience, and learning a new skill.

LSUfanBR and FaceScraper like this.
  11. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

For what it's worth I really liked the shave from my Mach3, then my fusion, and most recently the Proglide but the prices for cartridges were becoming insane. I had started buying the starter packs that come with like 9 blades and a handle (for about £25!!) then just throwing the old handle out which is equally mad.

FaceScraper and LSUfanBR like this.
  12. LSUfanBR

I liked those as well but the cart prices led me to the Humble Twin by Dollar Shave Club. That led me to buying an all metal Atra off ebay when I learned the Humble Twin carts fit the Atra. Other than orginal Atra carts, which cost as much as Mach3 carts on ebay, the Humble Twin work the best. I bought some Dollar General (Dorco's) for 1.75 for a 6 pack and will see how they work. Dorco also makes the DSC ones but they are not the same as the DG ones I bought. However I did notice that DG also sells the same ones DSC uses for 6 for 3 dollars in the store, but those do not show up on their website.

FaceScraper and Dansco like this.
  13. FaceScraper

You have to ask yourself honestly why you want to switch to DE razors. Sure, it can be less expensive than carts. Unless, of course, it becomes a hobby. Then it easily can get more expensive.

Is it for better shaves? While this is HIGHLY debatable, for me personally, I don't get better shaves than I did with carts. I have more enjoyable shaves with DE. See the difference? I could always get ultra smooth shaves from carts. I always did three passes (didn't re-lather between though). And, I could do it very quickly - less than two minutes.

I normally got about three weeks to a month on a cart, shaving every other day.

Speaking solely for myself, I switched to learn a new skill. I don't mind the extra time it takes me for shaving. Actually, I look forward to it. There might be days when you can't set aside the time for using the DE. Skip that day, if you can. Or, if you can't, use a cart that day. You won't go to hell for "cheating on your DE".

I hope you stay with us. But, do realize that you are learning a new skill. Patience is your friend. My technique is nowhere near perfect, but it has gotten much better. Ya gotta learn to walk before you can run.

Dansco and LSUfanBR like this.
  14. LSUfanBR

I like collecting older razors and this forum made me want to try out DE shaving. I'll keep trying but even If it doesn't not end up being for me I picked up two great razors, a Schick Krona and a Gillette Slim adjustable which will make great hand me downs to a kid one day.

Dansco and FaceScraper like this.
  15. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I've already got my dad's tech pegged for my son when he wants it. He's 18 months atm so his beard will be in any day now :sleep025:

Enrico, FaceScraper and LSUfanBR like this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I miss read the sale; my fault. :shocked003:

Linuxguile likes this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

18 months and still no facial hair; what's the problem. You been giving him too much coffee? :eatdrink013:

FaceScraper, Dansco and LSUfanBR like this.
  18. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I still have suspicions it may be a girl. It's voice is high. Apparently you can check in the nappy but there's no chance I'm going down there anytime soon.

FaceScraper, Enrico and LSUfanBR like this.
  19. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

My offer to the OP still stands

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  20. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The Futur is a very good razor