Need help for choosing a razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Stephen134, Aug 25, 2017.

1. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Sorry bud, but you're not going to find an oc razor not plated in nickel unless you fork over the big bucks and purchase an SS razor, or Brass/Copper razor. Chances are your father and grandfather used a nickel plated razor and they didn't suffer any consequences. Sure they could have used gold or chrome, but you really need to stop worrying.

2. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

above the tie sold me their brand razor and i have been exclusively using it for the past 5 years everyday and sold off all my other razors.

3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

If this due to an allergy or a health reaction to said metals :sick007: ... I would fully understand.

If this is to purchase the best quality razor ... I would fully understand. :D

If it's due to the scare that the media pours upon the public ... I can't help you. :eek:

I work in the environmental industry and read MSDS and SOPs daily. The hype that the media projects can get ridiculous. The off gassing from carpet, paint, furniture and even your water can be more suspect than using a razor made of Zamak, plated in nickel or chrome; and I despise Zamak. :angry032:

Your razor is only a blade holder.

Not trying to bust your chops, just trying to follow your reasoning. :)

4. Stephen134

Stephen134 New Member

Above The Tie Windsor copper razor had tellurium in its alloy. What do you think about it?

5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I think you might be a good candidate for a beard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cybermonkey, jmsodpc and BigMark83 like this.
  6. Stephen134

Stephen134 New Member

Thanks to everyone.

7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

As far as I've seen, nickel is only toxic when it is inhaled or ingested, ex: in dust or liquid form. People who work with powdered or liquid nickel as for plating are the ones at risk. People using plated items so far has not shown any signs of it being harmful, except with them being allergic to it. That usually just has the common signs of a rash and/or itching. I would think if it was that toxic, we wouldn't have so many razors and common items plated with it. Nickel is also naturally common in foods we eat.

BigMark83 likes this.
  8. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

My son can't use a nickel plated razor, and some stainless blades (stainless contains nickel) will leave him red and stinging, contact dermatitis or something.

He uses a Standard razor, which is aluminum, with no problem, and he likes Feather blades, which he seems to be fine with.

There is always Bakelite, like the MERKUR Model: MK030.

[​IMG]

jsw41 and jimjo1031 like this.
  9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Some people who use stainless blades are allergic to them and sometimes assume when they get irritation, it's either the blade isn't right for them or the razor's fault. Guess it depends on the percentage of nickel in the stainless.

10. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Ah, but those have _PHENOLS_ :)

PickledNorthern likes this.
  11. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Well just poo! :p

Get a Fatip Piccolo, have the nickel stripped, and replate with copper. :happy088:

Linuxguile likes this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

If you wait a few months the plating will just come off by itself...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

PickledNorthern and BigMark83 like this.
  13. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I've had mine quite a while, it's the early one with the narrower cap, and the plating is still perfect. I've heard that the gunmetal Grande will show brass immediately upon human contact though! :)

jmudrick likes this.
  14. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

How about a razor blade held between two popsicle sticks? ;)

But seriously, what about a straight razor? If you find one straight razor that is made from the materials you want, then you are set for a lifetime of shaves. The scales are a not an issue because they can be easily replaced. Good Luck.

Bookworm likes this.
  15. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

i just got a bakelite slant from phoenix artisians....pretty cool razor....just a bit light for my taste but i shaved almost a full day ago and i'm still pretty smooth..just a bit of stubble.

16. drone115b

drone115b Active Member

Parker and Pearl razors are made in India; and while some folks might think this is a bad thing, they still use brass under it all. So brass with chrome plating on many Parker and Pearl razors.

17. BigMark83

Only the TTO razors are brass. The three piece razors have Zamak heads.

18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Pro tip: buy a $15 stainless steel handle and two (2) Pearl OC heads ($20/2) in case you drop one.

19. BigMark83

Or avoid Zamak all together.

20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I wouldn't do that myself.

DesertTime likes this.