Razor replating

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Dansco, Sep 16, 2017.

1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayaruh likes this.
  2. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Wow! Yeah that is gorgeous. Can see why you chose that.

3. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Aside from a Toggle or something rare like that, razors will never be worth much more than $100-$200, and most WELL below that.

Re-plate if you want. It's not going to make a $5000 razor suddenly worth $200. Nor is it going to make a $50 razor worth $2000.

Even a Fatboy, NOS, wouldn't go for much more than $400 (in my opinion).

If I had a bit of extra cash, I would love to send one of my Slims into Delta Echo. But my Executive adjustable will always stay AS IS.

Dansco likes this.
  4. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

there's also the issue with the inner mechanics on tto and adjustable razors. I'd want to know what a tto/ adjustable looked like before it was restored, and what steps were taken to address any mechanical issues. Such interventions would affect what price I was willing to pay.

Jim99 likes this.
  5. jar

jar Well-Known Member

I've had a couple razors replated, and certainly I could never sell them for what I paid for the replating, at least not in this lifetime. But they were ones I love and use regularly and I wanted them purty and could afford to have them purty and so they are purty. I have two out right now that are similar. beat up old prewar Techs. Maybe $35.00 NOS with the original case razors and worth far less than what replating will cost, but I will enjoy them immensely.

Dansco, Jim99 and Knox like this.
  6. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

7. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

8. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I also agree replating is for keepers. I have two replated razors, one a Milord which was the first razor my wife and kids got for me. The second is a Barbasol Floating Head I had done in rhodium. I won't be getting rid of either razor. I may send another razor off at some point, but probably not for a while. I really like the Delta Echo finishes, so this is pretty appealing to me.

Dansco, Bobcat and Herm2502 like this.
  9. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I have like 4 razors that I would love to have replated but way too expensive.

10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Pics, pics, pics, pics????

Jorvaljr likes this.
  11. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

For those that have had it done I would hope you do enjoy them. I certainly hope nobody thought that I was saying something negative about it. I wish I could send a few razors I have away for replating but I doubt Ill have the money for it.

If you never plan to sell it I think its great as it's yours and will last a lifetime.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Dansco and Jorvaljr like this.
  12. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

IMG_8019.jpg

1934 gold Aristocrat
    1934 silver English Aristocrat
    1956 gold English Aristocrat
    Sheraton

Dansco, jimjo1031, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Those are all replate worthy. Be careful who does the Aristocrats. The detail is easily lost, if too much plating is used. The knurling isn't real deep. . I had a French #15 overplated, with Rhodium, a few years back, and a lot of detail was lost.

jimjo1031, Jim99 and Jorvaljr like this.
  14. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Nice collection of Aristocrats.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  15. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Nickel or Rhodium head ?

16. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Awesome looking razors, Jim!

I've had three replated. All of them are just for me. The 58 Executive was done in gold to get it's original look back, the Fat Handle Tech for my wife was done in nickel and my 58 Fat Boy was done in two-tone Rhodium, just because I liked it. Finally I have a '37 Sheraton that the previous owner had plated in Rhodium, sweet looking, but hardly "original" looking.

So I guess I'm saying if you like a particular razor and it's a "beater", get it replated just for you.

Herm

Dansco, Jayaruh and Jim99 like this.
  17. Herm2502

Ooo, shiny! Nice job by RazorPlate?

Herm

18. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Herm, I know you've posted it before, but could you put up a picture of your fatboy? It might make some of us reconsider a replate when they see that beauty.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  19. Herm2502

Thanks! All you gotta do is ask.

'58 Fat Boy, '58 Executive

[​IMG]

Herm

Knox, Dansco, jimjo1031 and 4 others like this.
  20. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

They are beauties!