Let's talk about slant

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Norseman, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I would like to bump this old thread of mine. If I have understood the world correctly, there are a lot more slant bar razors to choose from now than it was just a few years ago.
    Is it just more of the same or has these offerings brought something new to the wonderful world of traditional shaving?

RyX likes this.
  2. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Several manufacturer (for instance iKon, PAA) have begun a new production of old designs, so we have not seen many totally new designs, but mostly resurrected designs. Sometimes there has been a slight modification, for instance the iKon X3 is milder than the razor it copies.

So, there is not as many new models as one would believe at a first glance, but well proven geometries reappearing again.

We have a few models I suspect are new designs, like ATT S1 and S2. RR Stealth slant I believe is half way new. From what I have understood they slightly modified Merkur 45 and then twisted it.

Norseman likes this.
  3. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this yet, so I'll throw it out there...

Maggards has a slant head for about $20. They just recently ran a sale on them for $12. It's the head only, no handle. It's standard threading, so if you already own a 3-piece razor it will most likely work just fine. I picked one up when the sale was on. For me, it works fine. It appears to have a fairly open blade gap, but looks are deceiving. I find it to be rather smooth. As far as efficiency, I haven't truly tested that out. Sometime when I go a few days without shaving I'll see how it does. For me, so far anyway, there's nothing earth-shattering about it. It works just fine, but all my other razors do too.

RyX likes this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I got that deal as well, paired it with the Razorock titanium Halo handle, fabulous combo.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

FaceScraper likes this.
  5. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I did consider the Maggard slant, but have yet to pull the trigger. I do not really need a new razor, but I do find slant bar razors somewhat intriguing and I am interested in finding out what is out there and how they perform.
    Are they better or worse than my locally available Merkur 37c is one of the questions I am often asking myself when "researching".

FaceScraper likes this.
  6. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Both fellow wet shavers and Maggard describes their razor as aggressive. There are slants in all kind of categories of aggressiveness. The 37C is somewhere in the middle. My own favorites iKon #102 and iKon X3 are extra mild.

FaceScraper and Norseman like this.
  7. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

The Maggard is the only one I have, so I can't compare it to anything else. I figured for $12, I couldn't go wrong. It does seem nicely made. I don't have any issues with blade centering. It rinses out easily when it loads up with lather and stubble. Personally, I don't find it to be aggressive. The few times I've used it, it was a smooth shave, even with a Feather blade. Bottom line, it comes down to technique. Mine still has much to be desired, but I have no issues with the Maggard slant. Am I glad I bought it? For the price, sure. Does it blow my mind? Nope.
    It's good...I'll use it sometimes...but it's not going to nudge any of my other razors out of the way.

Norseman and jmudrick like this.