DE Pack Review

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Zykris, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

1: Sputnik. For the really comfortable smoothness of the blade.
    2. Astra SP. For the sharpness and mid range smoothness, longevity of the blade.
    3. Gillette 7'Clock SP. Pretty good blade with mid range sharpness. The two before it had better performance IMO.
    4. Voshkod. The blade was smooth but it didn't last long for me. Sharpness is not near Sputnik IMO.
    5. BiC Chrome. Very sharp, mid range smooth. Very irritating blade.
    6. Treet. Just did not work out for me. Not really that sharp, not really that smooth either.

My consensus thus far.

2. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Gillette Rubie blades also made at same factory as Astra and Sputnik. It looks like you will have to take the St. Petersburg blades to a second duel to find the absolutely best of them.

Zykris likes this.
  3. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Gillette Rubie. Three pass head shave. Wow! Great shave with minimal irritation!
    Right now Gillette Ruby is tied with Sputnik in my opinion. Astra is in third. But I'm gonna need more blades to test out a true winner. Lol

Engblom likes this.
  4. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

This is why I almost always recommend blade samples with a full tuck of blades. When a blade begins to give bad shaves, it is thrown away, so all good blades will feel incredible comparing to the last shave with the previous blade. Only with several blades, one can truly compare a good blade with another good blade.

5. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I can get tucks of Astra Sp and Sputnik on Amazon but it seems that Gillette Rubie's are not available on it. I'm going to try and find a supplier to that takes money orders.

6. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Three pass head shave and face shave. The Gillette Rubie got through it all again but I think it has finished it's last shave. But it did give me many shaves, two I forgot to document. So I believe I got about 6-7 shaves on that blade.

1. Gillette Rubie Plantinum. This blade has tied the Sputnik Teflon Coated easily in my mind. Very smooth. I could barely feel the sharpness but it mowed whiskers like a boss.
    2. Astra SP. For the sharpness and mid range smoothness, longevity of the blade.
    3. Gillette 7'Clock SP. Pretty good blade with mid range sharpness. The two before it had better performance IMO.
    4. Voshkod. The blade was smooth but it didn't last long for me. Sharpness is not near Sputnik IMO.
    5. BiC Chrome. Very sharp, mid range smooth. Very irritating blade.
    6. Treet. Just did not work out for me. Not really that sharp, not really that smooth either.

7. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Today, I went with a three pass plus clean up face and head shave. The gear I used was the RazoRock German 37 Slant, Personna Lab Blue blade (Random pick), TurnNShave 24mm x 53mm Angel Knot synthetic, Mitchell's Wool Fat, Gentleman Jon's Alum Block and Stirling Glacial Unscented Aftershave Balm.

The Personna Blue blade, I'm liking it. It's got that nice balance between sharpness and smoothness. Not at all harsh on my skin, very very mild irritation when using the alum block. Overall, felt great. The Personna Blue is going to be up there on my ranking list. Where it will land, I'll have to see once I finish the blade off. Great shave today!

8. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

The Personna Lab Blue got it's second run today for a typical three pass head/face shave plus clean up. It's still holding up great and I noticed that it smoothed out a little more. Made for a very enjoyable shave!

9. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Personna Lab Blue back at it again for three passes face/head. And it's still trucking along very nicely. Super comfortable now with a few shaves under it's belt. This one is being a contender for top 5, maybe even three!

10. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

The Personna Lab Blue made it's final aspect of it's journey after finishing a three face/head pass once more. That blade was a pleasure to use and I do think I'll find myself with a pack of 100 in the future.

1. Gillette Rubie Plantinum. This blade has tied the Sputnik Teflon Coated easily in my mind. Very smooth. I could barely feel the sharpness but it mowed whiskers like a boss.
    2. Personna Lab Blue. For a lovely balance for smoothness and sharpness. What treat!
    3. Astra SP. For the sharpness and mid range smoothness, longevity of the blade.
    4. Gillette 7'Clock SP. Pretty good blade with mid range sharpness. The two before it had better performance IMO.
    5. Voshkod. The blade was smooth but it didn't last long for me. Sharpness is not near Sputnik IMO.
    6. BiC Chrome. Very sharp, mid range smooth. Very irritating blade.
    7. Treet. Just did not work out for me. Not really that sharp, not really that smooth either.

Linuxguile likes this.
  11. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Which Treet did you use ? The carbons didn't agree with me but I like the New Steel and Platinum.

12. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I think it was the carbon ones. Solid black de blade.

Linuxguile likes this.
  13. Linuxguile

If you want to expand on you trials I'm sure i have a few that weren't in your pack.

Zykris likes this.
  14. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

PM sent.

Linuxguile likes this.
  15. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

For today's head and face shave, three passes each. Here is the gear.
    Razor: German 37 Slant by RazoRock
    Blade: Perma Sharp Super (Randomly picked)
    Brush: 24mm Full Moon Knot by TurnNShave (https://www.etsy.com/shop/TurnNShave )
    Soap: Mitchell's Woof Fat ( Love this soap!)
    Aftershave: Gentleman Jon's Alum Block followed by Stirling's Unscented Glacial Aftershave Balm

Loaded up the slant with the Perma Sharp Super, a stainless steel blade no coating. I did find the blade very comfortable! Smoothness was definitely high on the ratings. Sharpness? I'd say it was about even ground level for sharpness. It did take down the whiskers that needed to go, I usually sport a friendly mutton chop beard. I did not feel the "crispness" of a uberly sharp blade but I didn't detect any tugging at all. My first impressions? I think it's a good blade. So far not standing out above the crowd of some of the other blades with that nice smoothness level. But...no complants! Let's see how long this sucker goes for.

Linuxguile likes this.
  16. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

For today's head and face shave, three passes each. Here is the gear.
    Blade: Perma Sharp Super (Randomly picked)
    Brush: 25mm Angel Knot by TurnNShave (https://www.etsy.com/shop/TurnNShave )
    Aftershave: Gentleman Jon's Alum Block followed by Stirling's Unscented Glacial Aftershave Balm

It was the second use of the Perma Sharp Super blade. Very comfortable. Until...the alum block. My technique hasn't changed and when that alum block hit my skin. Ouch! Stinging all over my face, neck and head. I use no to very light pressure technique. Either my skin doesn't care for the stainless blade or the blade didn't hold up. Either case, that blade went right into the disposal container.

2. Personna Lab Blue. For a lovely balance for smoothness and sharpness. What treat!
    3. Astra SP. For the sharpness and mid range smoothness, longevity of the blade.
    4. Gillette 7'Clock SP. Pretty good blade with mid range sharpness. The two before it had better performance IMO.
    5. Voshkod. The blade was smooth but it didn't last long for me. Sharpness is not near Sputnik IMO.
    6. BiC Chrome. Very sharp, mid range smooth. Very irritating blade.
    7. Perma Sharp Super. Very smooth and comfortable with decent sharpness. But only good for one use.
    8. Treet. Just did not work out for me. Not really that sharp, not really that smooth either.

Linuxguile likes this.
  17. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

This just shows you how different people prefer different blades. I use Voskhod, Dorco Prime, and have Perma-Sharps coming in the mail.

jimjo1031, Linuxguile and Zykris like this.
  18. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Today's event: head and face shave, three passes each. Here is the gear.
    Blade: NEW Lord Platinum Class(Randomly picked)
    Brush: 24mm Full Moon Knot by TurnNShave (https://www.etsy.com/shop/TurnNShave )

My impressions of the NEW Lord Platinum Class blade: I found that the blade was very similar in feel to the Perma Sharp Super thus far. Very smooth, sharp enough to get the job done without any tugging. The alum block registered my usual bad areas that will get a stinging sensation, mainly my neck. So I can't blame the blade. It's just the way the skin of my neck responds to shaving. So far so good. Let's see how shave 2 with the blade acts. Stay tuned!

jimjo1031 and BigMark83 like this.
  19. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Did a two pass clean up on the face today using the NEEW Lord Platinum Class again. This time I used sweet almond oil as a preshave before lathering up and going at it. It seemed to help! The blade worked better than it did yesterday and a reduced amount of irritation to my neck area. Might just have to start using preshave to see if it continues to help.

As a side note, I just received in the mail from @Linuxguile a sleeve of a mixture of blades. It includes blades from Rapira, Ladas, Treet, Gillette, Prime, Sharp and Tian Li blades. Thank you very much! I've been having a lot of fun reviewing the blade performances and this addition will just make it go longer!

jimjo1031 and Linuxguile like this.
  20. Linuxguile

I look forward to seeing how they perform for you!

Zykris likes this.