Barbasol Brotherhood

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Bama Samurai, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

15 September

[​IMG]

RyX, ilts, sdguero and 4 others like this.
  2. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Four tried and true classics pictured there. I don't know how long alum blocks have been around...is Barbasol the "new" kid on the block there?

Bama Samurai likes this.
  3. Bama Samurai

To get picky, the Parker shavette design is from the mid seventies. Alum on the skin is as old as Egypt, so in a sense, it is necessarily the "oldest" thing there. But Barbasol is the youngster of that software grouping. It's what I use when it's time to:

Keithmax, RyX, ilts and 4 others like this.
  4. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Barbasol Brisk is currently my favorite aftershave regardless of price. I love the stuff, and bought a backup just today. Well under $2.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

sdguero, RyX, ilts and 2 others like this.
  5. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Is it similar to Skin-Bracer?

6. SharptoothC

Similar ball park but not the same. Very light menthol, and a little more powdery barbershop on the drydown. I prefer the scent of Barbasol between the two.

7. Bird Lives

Thaks....I'm definitely gonna check it out!

RyX and SharptoothC like this.
  8. SharptoothC

Dollar General usually carries it for about $1.70.

9. Bird Lives

No Dollar General Stores in WA State...but Walgreens will order it for that same price...sooo, I'm off to Walgeens..

RyX and SharptoothC like this.
  10. Bird Lives

So I'm a staunch soap and brush man, thinking of retrying a can of Barbasol....It's been over 10 years, maybe more....
    I'm stuck between the Yellow Lanolin, the Aloe Green, Sensitive, or Purple Vit E cans....They've got those at my local Walgreens...
    Which way should I go to give this stuff it's best "make it or break it" try out!

RyX, ilts, sdguero and 2 others like this.
  11. SharptoothC

I have the purple and I like it. I've heard good about the Aloe as well.

Bird Lives likes this.
  12. Bird Lives

Chris, looks like you have tried them all....fess up....which one is your favorite!

RyX, ilts and SharptoothC like this.
  13. Bama Samurai

Pacific Rush

14. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

SOTD 9.20.2017

Pre-shave: Hot shower
    Shaving Cream: Barbasol Pacific Rush applied by hand
    Razor: vintage bullet tip Micromatic
    Blade: Gem Stainless (4)
    Post-Shave: Dickinson's Witch Hazel, Nivea balm, Jovan AS / Cologne

I was in a big hurry today, still wanted to shave so opted for a quick application of lather and re-application by hand. Surprisingly, this Gem Stainless blade is still working for me... normally I get two shaves and I'm done. I plan to push this blade for another shave and see how it does.

Hope everyone had a great day! Enjoy tomorrow!
    9.20.17.jpg

Keithmax, RyX, ilts and 3 others like this.
  15. Bird Lives

I just picked up the Orange can for Sensitive Skin....got a great shave! But I found myself craving menthol...
    Will the Artic Chill give me......lets say at least as much chill as Mennen Skin Bracer?

AGHisBBS, RyX and Bama Samurai like this.
  16. Bama Samurai

I think you'll like it. It's moderate menthol.

Ijustmissedthe50s and RyX like this.
  17. Bird Lives

Well this morning I shaved with Barbasol for Sensitive Skin orange can...
    I set it in a sink of very hot water while I showered. I've heard those very inexpensive Mr Coffee Mug Warmers $10, Bed,Bath,&Beyond will make the lather as Hot as your better Barbershoppes, and that some of them use just that! After finishing my Barbasol experiments, if I continue with it..I will acquire one for the Winter. Nother like HOT lather on a COLD morning!

After showering, dried my hair and put on my pants. Rinsed my face again with hot water and applied the lather...IT WAS WARM...felt nice...very faint scent, but pleasent...

I used my Schick F type and made 2 passe...WTG and ATG...then my usual clean up pass ATG on just the problem areas, using Witch Hazel instead of lather.

Well "Faith and Begorrah"....Great shave! I would say, " Don't tell anyone I said this....but, I'm telling veryone! Ha, Ha...After the shave I made a generous splash of Skin Bracer and got a nice menthol 'Buzz' and had a wonderful vibe...

Thanks Guys for inspiring me to try this....
    Commens:
    1. When I first finished applying the lather, it felt really good...and sparked my memory in a good way...only for some reason I was hankering for "menthol"...
    2. One thing pretty mentionable...While quite often I get such great shaves, I catch myself touching my face...digging how close my shave is...Well today I caught myself doing that samething and thinging how good my skin felt. There are definitely some things in here to condition your skin. Nothing outrageous, but NICE!
    3. While running errands today, I checked out several local brick stores...The fifth one I struck pay dirt sooo....Picked up a can of Artic Chill today...thats how serious I am about this experiment....I am going upstairs for a short light shave touch up tonight with this menthol version of Barbasol. If it doesn't give me enough menthol, I'll pick up a can of (hate to type this word) Gillette Menthol Foamy and make a comparison shave and let the chips fall where they may...

I'll report back, veddy quickly!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  18. Bama Samurai

Lloyd-

Most excellent report! I know, right? I find the skinfeel very pleasant as well. There's not much difference in performance between the labels for me. Pacific Rush is really just my fave scent of the bunch. Really like Original (red) as well as Arctic Chill. I've used Barbasol with German SRs, Shavettes, Injectors and DE...perfect lather and an easy shave. I really enjoy some artisan soaps, but as time has gone by, the ability to knock out the AAAA results with simply drug store products is really cool.

19. Bird Lives

Thats good to hear that all the different flavours leave your skin feeling like this....Be....cause....I absolutely love the Artic Chill..Seems custom made to go along with Skin bracer. But the "Sensitive Skin" Orange can this morning left my skin so soft....Knowing all of them do that about the same, answers my next 5 questions..THANKS! Course I realize this is probably a big "YMMV" issue...lol....But I dig what you're saying....just saying.....

Tonight I couldn't help myself.......
    I picked up a can of Gillette menthol and went for a shave off... Everyone says the menthol is stronger in the Gillette foamy... But what I noticed was, when you first put the cream on.... Let's say Arctic chill, For the 1st 5 minutes it sits there and moisturizes your whiskers and smells good. Then it starts to get cold... Not too strong but Vedy Vedy pleasant...I enoyed very much.

With the Gillette menthol.... For the 1st 5 minutes it Burns not cools...Kind of a chemical burn....When you scrape the lather off it immediatly gets cool then..... And the scentof the Gillette was pure medicine..

Nope no doubt about it the barbasol won hands down in my shave cave.

You guys who have tried the lanolin yellow can....does the lanolin leave your skin feelimg different, or about the same?...I can oeder some on-line, but would rather wait til I see it in the Wild.

BTW.....I know its wastful...but I tossed my can of Gillette Foamy Menthol....I'm sorry, I did drop it in the appropriate recycle bin....probably should have looked for the one marked "Bio-hazard materials......:happy097:

Thats it....Test Over....I officially submit my application for acceptance into the Barbasol Brotherhood....I'm shocked...but I'm not so set in my ways that I can tell when I've gotten to really great shaaves and enjoyed the process....as much as this...we are talking 5 blade BBS irritation-free shave....:happy096: Barbasol! And the menthol in Artic Chill is minimal but it is there...If you let the cream sit for a minute it intensifies....Rinse with cool water...and during that second pass, it is a very enjoyable Menthol experience....Then splash on some Skin Bracer and for the next 45 minutes, you KNOW you got a menthol shave...maybe not frost-bite, but there is know doubt that you had a menthol shave...and the menthol is a quality type menthol as opposed to just a strong burning menthol!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Keithmax, AGHisBBS, RyX and 2 others like this.
  20. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Saturday's Barbasol Shave 09/23/17 DSCF1715.JPG