Favorite After Market Handle

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Sabre, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

What's your favorite after market handle? Trac II compatible handles are worth a thread of their own. Mach 3 handles appear to be the best value. Sensor's are rare, although I did see a new one on Amazon. Obviously being the latest Fusion's are the most expensive, whilst many seem very similar. Schick's compatible's are virtually non existent...

Do you prefer a known brand? Acqua di Parma, Molton Brown, Plisson etc? or something more artisan from Etsy?

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I was going to buy a handle on Etsy until I found a really nice Gillette handle, I like supporting artisans.

3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I have a Phoenix Accoutrements "Name Taker".

Revision: Oops, you're talking carts...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Weber Bulldog.

5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

my Ikon has the bigger handle, I sometimes borrow it to other razors.
    I've acquired a durham/duplex handle, it's heavy enough to lend weight to lighter razors.
    the only handle I have that is specifically sold as after market is the maggard mr5.

6. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I have always found it hard to put a Trac II on a Ikon handle. Maybe I will have better luck with the Maggard? Does it take dual purpose Trac II and Atra carts? :lyrtuy5:

7. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

Considering that literacy would seem to be a prima facie requirement of participating in a web forum, I would have assumed people here are able to discern the intent of the thread, or at least the subforum in which it is placed. Silly me. But anyway...

Favorite handles by cart type:

Trac II: Merkur MII. Beautifully crafted, one-piece brass construction, with impeccable chrome plating. Excellent balance and aesthetics. The grip can be a little iffy, sometimes, since there's no texture, but I usually don't find it to be a problem.

Atra: Reed & Barton by default, since there aren't very many good aftermarket Atra handles. That said, I think I might actually prefer a '77 stock handle. Tough call.

Sensor (Excel): Edwin Jagger Bulbous Lined (if they'd done a barley grip, I would have preferred that, but I don't think they did for the Sensor). Pils gets honorable mention, but it uses an original Sensor head, in black. I prefer to use Excel cartridges, and I prefer them on Excel heads. They don't look right on black Sensor heads.

Mach3: Art of Shaving engraved nickel (barley grip). Not only is it a beautiful handle, but AoS actually developed their own M3 head, rather than grafting a stock head onto their handle. I prefer the aesthetics of the AoS head; plus it's unique among aftermarket brands. A runner up would be Bolin Webb, but I'm basing that purely on pictures I've seen, since I've never seen one in person, let alone used one.

Fusion: I'm not a Fusion fan, but if I were to pick a handle for one, it would probably be another AoS model, although which one I couldn't say. Chelsea collection, maybe? As with their Mach3 handles, AoS again developed their own custom head for the Fusion, whereas most aftermarket makers are using stock heads. The custom head looks much nicer, imo.

Favorite overall: Probably the AoS Mach3.

engrsaks and Sabre like this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've had several T-II handles but a brass no name with really simple, deep knurling is the one I kept.

There's a really nice Schick perforated plastic handle (for Atra) that I used for a few years until my dad sent me an original aluminum. That Schick may still be in the last travel box.

9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    My favorite is the rather rare Ralph Lauren Safari collection razor handle.

My second favorite is the Schick Bicentennial 'Paul Revere' model by International Silver. They also did an Injector with the same handle design.

My third is the Old Spice/Barber Shoppe solid brass teardrop razor handle. More or less the same feel as the Paul Revere, but heavier.

My least used Trac II handle is another Ralph Lauren model, this one is Polo. Gold plated brass with a teak handle.

10. Jerry-built Hustler

That sounds interesting. What kind of cart did it hold? Got any pics? I tried googling it, but all I came up with were a bunch of random SOTD pics that included Safari cologne.

11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It takes a Trac II, like all 80's and 90's RL razors. It has the Safari crest engraved on the bottom of the the handle. The handle itself is brass and pewter, quite heavy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Jerry-built Hustler

That is a nice handle. I could definitely see that being one of my favorite Trac II handles. Thanks for the pics.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Assuming that this is just for carts - I got these that I rather like:

No-name old-style handle:
    Looks great and I was pleasantly surprised that it was actually metal and not plastic
    Rating: [Still to be shaved with]
    [​IMG]

The "Deluxe"
    I honestly don't know if it's a genuine Gillette or not as there is very little to go on.
    Rating: 8/10. Really enjoyed the weight and shape of this handle
    [​IMG]

Burma-Shave
    Great copper/bronze look to it. Lighter than what you might think. I have so-so expectations for it.
    [​IMG]

Concord, Italy
    Very heavy handle. feels very nice and comes across as well made. A bit like a cartridge version of the Swing DE.
    Rating: [Still to be shaved with].
    [​IMG]

Truefitt&Hill
    Near perfectly balanced. High quality.
    [​IMG]

Crabtree and Evelyn
    Solid and feels like a good quality handle. I am not so sure about the shape of it though...
    [​IMG]

Paul Revere
    Haven't tried these yet since they are very similar to the injector version of the handle (which I love) I have great hopes for them
    [​IMG]

AlDm, LSUfanBR, engrsaks and 2 others like this.
  14. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

That is one hell of a beauty. :) . Thanks for the pictures.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  15. LSUfanBR

LSUfanBR Well-Known Member

I have yet to try an aftermarket Atra handle as I like my original all-metal black and silver one so much, but for the Mach 3 my favorite is the Tactile Turn Pruner in stainless steel. They also have a titanium version but I got the stainless steel as it is heavier. I hope they make an Atra variety one day.

IMG_0194.JPG

EnglishChannel likes this.