The Haul: October 2017

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by RaZorBurn123, Sep 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    :happy097:

FaceScraper, RyX and jimjo1031 like this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I gave him fair warning

FaceScraper, AGHisBBS, RyX and 2 others like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I agree with you 1 million percent. Pitbulls aren't any different from any other breed, we had a good boy, his name was Petey, the poor boy was afraid of our cats.
    Bruno is a handsome boy!

FaceScraper, RyX and jimjo1031 like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    That's OK, Andrew, Derbys get a bad rap, and I get good shaves with them. Technique rules...

5. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Who's a good boy? Bruno's a good boy. Yes, he is.

6. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Won a GEM 1932-33 OCMM on ebay and just received it today. Excellent condition. It looked basically unused and the case is a nice green bakelite. I will need to break it in tomorrow! I never use an OCMM. The only GEM I used previously is my 1912 Ever Ready. I really like the 1912 so I am hoping the OCMM will provide an equally enjoyable shave.
    Steve
    IMG_7465.jpg
    IMG_7466.jpg
    IMG_7468.jpg

FaceScraper, sdguero, Enrico and 14 others like this.
  7. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Was out of town, and stopped in a small antique store I hadn't visited before. They had a few brushes and razors, and I picked up a ball-end Old Type for a very nice price. I did notice a small crack in the handle, but the top and comb were in exceptional shape. After cleaning up, I realize that I probably have a frankenrazor, as the top appears to be gold-plated and the handle isn't:
    image.jpg

This one is Made in USA with no serial number. I have pictured it beside my Made in Canada serial numbered OT that I've had for awhile.
    image.jpg
    The tops are identical save for the plating. What doesn't show very well is that handles are different. My Canadian is a little thicker and significantly heavier. The neck is not as long as well. The handle is still significantly thicker than the ball-end Tech handle I have. The Tech is heavier than this one too.
    Is this even an Old Type handle on the USA one? Does anyone else have both a Canadian and American Old Types that they can compare the handles on? Any ideas would be appreciated.

8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

nice set............

FaceScraper and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  9. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Wow!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

FaceScraper, sdguero and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Your Canadian OT may be a pocket edition. The handle on the USA looks like a typical ball end handle.

11. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Sorry, probably wasn’t clear enough, Andrew. It is the Canadian that has a slightly thicker and significantly heavier handle. I will research the pocket edition, though. Thanks.

FaceScraper, sdguero and jimjo1031 like this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I heard the Tian Li were actually very good I believe @Linuxguile and @jmudrick have used them. I might try them. For less than $5 per 100 hard to go wrong.

FaceScraper, AGHisBBS and Linuxguile like this.
  13. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

IIRC, there are a couple of different Tian Li blades. One, as I understand it, is very good; this is the other one. It's *almost* there but not quite. Perhaps with the right razor, but I doubt it.

FaceScraper and Linuxguile like this.
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

For me this blade was awful, the other Tian Li (dark blue pack) just great. But trust your own experience you never know.

FaceScraper and Linuxguile like this.
  15. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Oh, I thought that Tian Li blade was awful, too. I gave it two tries in two different razors. I really didn't expect much, however, given that the name and packaging seemed to be trying to rip-off a similar Gillette blade.
    The frustrating part was that its performance was neither fish nor fowl. Had it been totally useless like many Chinese blades, it would have been expected. (Like I would expect a socket wrench from the Dollar Store to break on a rusted bolt.) OTOH, if it had performed adequately or better, like the other Tian Li blade or that Pacific blade from Dollar Tree, I would have been pleasantly surprised. This blade was neither. It did remove whiskers, but not smoothly or overly well.

RyX, FaceScraper, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  16. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

After taking a circuitous route, JR#231 has arrived!
    IMG_1494.JPG IMG_1495.JPG

Jorvaljr, RyX, FaceScraper and 7 others like this.
  17. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Star-type head but no markings, definite Tech ball-end handle. Have a Perma-Sharp Super loaded in it now, so I'll give it a go here in a little bit. Cap looks more silver-plated than nickel, handle is brassy at the neck.

[​IMG]

RyX, FaceScraper, sdguero and 13 others like this.
  18. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20171021-195029_crop_576x516.jpg

Very excited!!

RyX, FaceScraper, sdguero and 12 others like this.
  19. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

FaceScraper, sdguero and RetLEO-07 like this.
  20. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Thanks, Jim does fantastic work.

FaceScraper likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.