Custom stands

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by jason koonce, Oct 21, 2017.

1. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

Show me your stands lol. What custom stands are out there. That is on my list of to dos.

Ijustmissedthe50s and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Brush stands? I have three for different sized brushes. All are made from 3/16 aluminum rod I bent into a utilitarian shape to hang my brushes bristle ways down. I'm away from my house and don't have a photo to post. If you are interested in the design let me know and I'll take a photo.

For razors; yes, multiple numbers there. A test tube rack that holds maybe 40 tubes but comfortably 15 DE or SE razors. It's not a good fit for shavettes or straight razors because the grid pattern hole aren't more than 3/4 inch inside. Again - no photo with me. An alternative for multiple razor racks are tobacco pipe racks. Check with your local thrift store.

Many members have accrued collections that require cabinets, drawers, display cases, etc. I'm not there yet myself. For the gear I have but am not using currently I store them in cigar boxes with silicone desiccant packs.

3. jason koonce

I am definitely interested I was almost thinking about making a wooden one and staining it

4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I made a wooden one and stained it. It had a slot wide enough to accommodate a brush on one side and a slot to hold a razor on the opposing side.

Then the razors outpaced any sensible attempt at trying to store them all upright and then I used a tackle box. I've since sold most of them but they are creeping back up in number. I've yet to film razor breeding practices for the documentary though; they are pretty private in that respect.

Seriously though, it is pretty easy and far more cost effective (assuming you have the tools) to just make one out of wood. You can be as simple or as ornate as your skills allow you to be. They lay down on a shelf just fine too and a brush will stand bristles up and dry easily enough too. Don't feel pressured into buying a whole bunch of crap unless you want to.

A lot of people get into this old type of shaving to try and be frugal and then end up spending 100x more than they would've if they just stuck to carts. Yeah, the shave is better too :D

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    The Easy Dozen Stand
    EasyDozen_18.JPG

The Fortnight Stand
    IMG_2883.JPG

The Seven Day Stand
    sevendaystand06.JPG

Brush/Razor Stands
    standset_01.JPG

IMG_1573.jpg

brushrack2a.jpg

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Many sizes available for both brushes and razors. Fun to make them yourself of have a talented craftsman make one for you (see Jim's post above).
    I used a DE razor stand for years but eventually opted to keep them 'put away' rather than on display. Less exposure to the elements. Most DE razors are pretty resistant to moisture, unlike straight razors, and can probably withstand daily exposure in a damp bathroom without issue. I would recommend NOT leaving the blades in, however.

7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I use cigar boxes ... it gives them privacy for breeding. :happy097:

8. jason koonce

I was thinking of building something like this

Attached Files:

9. jason koonce

Hmm that is a great idea I will try that. Hope my wife doesn’t get mad lol

Ijustmissedthe50s, mrchick and Enrico like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I made this little stand just to hold the next straight in the rotation.
    stand.JPG

11. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I don't use these any more. I stand all my brushes on their base with the knot up.

EnglishChannel and mrchick like this.
  12. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Here's my first, a '50s banana split dish. Fifty cents at Goodwill...
    [​IMG]

My second was a bowl, with cable insulation split & pressed around the rim...
    [​IMG]

Finally, a couple of pieces of scrap wood screwed together, Dremeled, and painted white...
    [​IMG]

13. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    RyX, mrchick and jason koonce like this.
  14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Certainly a creative bunches 'round here! :happy088::happy088:

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  15. jason koonce

When my collection starts to grow that may be the way I go

mrchick likes this.
  16. jason koonce

I am a ways from using a straight but I will eventually and I am hoping to have my grandfathers passed down to me. He is still currently a barber. Been doing it for quite a long time.

RyX and mrchick like this.
  17. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I do too!

Jayaruh likes this.
  18. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

[​IMG]

19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Very simple, but effective. Other than needing some coats of paint and maybe cork on bottom to protect counter.
    [​IMG]

20. jason koonce

Genius I like it lol