New RazoRock Mamba

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jar, Oct 22, 2017.

1. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Today is a break day in the OC progression so I gave the new Mamba a try. It's an interesting beast. I found the stock handle put the balance off so I swapped it with a RR Titanium Halo handle that is lighter and a hair shorter and that made a big difference.

As others have said it is a really really mild razor and not as efficient as many that I own including the RR Old Type or my Fatips or even the Merkurs. It took three full passes and touchup but I did get a comfortable, no irritation PDG+ shave in the end. It really likes for you to ride the cap and seems to have a pretty narrow effective window. Outside the window you are still pretty safe but efficiency drops way way off.

I can't think of another under $50.00 stainless steel CNC North American made DE razor.

[​IMG]

So the rest of the story.

Today's shave gave me a chance to also try out the old Gibbs 210 brush I found online. It is a two piece all aluminum handle boar brush and appears to have never been used. There are a couple dents in the bottom of the handle so it's also possible that it was a "second" at the time originally sold. Gibbs is a French shaving company and had some really neat razors but bucked the trend by having a blade that did not conform to what Gillette was selling at the time.

[​IMG]

This brush has great balance but the handle really feels small compared to my Rubberset 400s. It builds great lather though and is breaking-in nicely. Another few break-in shaves and it will be ready to get into the regular rotation.

Today's aftershave is one from St Louis and is La Quatrième Ville by Chatillon Lux. I am not sure about this aftershave but it is certainly woodsy, lots of cypress and grasses.

[​IMG]

2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Halo titanium is indeed the better fit for the Mamba.

Gibbs was popular enough in France that Gillette threw in the towel and modified their blades to conform to the Gibbs system. These carry a 1960 date code:

[​IMG]

Safe As, BigMark83, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

May I suggest that you try riding the cap with the RazoRock Mamba, made a huge difference for me. Blade selection plays a big part, I use a Polsilver SI blade and find it works great. YMMV

4. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Love that brush.

5. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Congrats on the brush. I have one coming as well. And I also have a mamba coming as well. The scary thing is that there have been a lot of listings today for the Mamba. Seem like people are trying to offload the razor quick

6. jar

jar Well-Known Member

It's a sophisticated razor; a rapier rather than a broadsword. As I mentioned it seems to have a very narrow window where it is efficient. Outside that window they will find it to be mild and inefficient, but ride the cap, let the razor work, don't try to make it feel like it's working and it does really well.

While the first shave took three passes I am confident that in the future it will be a two pass and touchup joy. But I will have to remember to let it lead the way instead of my being in charge.

It's not going to be the choice for those who prize "aggression" but rather for those of us who enjoy understated efficiency.

7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I had no problems with it on my face shave. Tomorrow the test will be a head shave. Two shims at the ready but I'll be surprised if I need them unless it's less efficient than a Tech which I doubt.

8. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

You use Feathers right ? If so I suggest them.

9. BigMark83

It definitely has a narrow window as far as efficiency goes. My last shave was better than my first, and it is new so I have to play with it to get it just right. I see a trend with the handles as well.

10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Nope. Current rotation of Tian Li, Nacet, Permasharp, and Bic (experimenting with Super Max BDT and Chinese Wilkies) serves me well even with mild razors. I haven't found Feathers' fast fading initial sharpness enough of a benefit to justify the cost.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  11. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Before returning to the world of Open Comb razors I gave the new RR Mamba one more outing. This time I began just like I was using a Single Edge or the Durham Duplex and put the cap on my face, handle almost perpendicular to the surface of my face and simply kept that orientation. Almost no pressure and shave with my full arm.

The result was a two pass and touchup PDG+ near perfect shave, effortless and comfortable. Alum felt cold and still tastes bad but zero signs of irritation and there was almost no post alum skin stretching places left I could play with...but I kept looking.

[​IMG]

The soap for today is the Orange Blossom & Jasmine from Above the Tie and continuing the floral theme a citrus, rose and patchouli aftershave from Chatillon Lux. The brush is a RazoRock 400 Finest Badger.

The RazoRock Mamba will not be something that the Feel The Steel folk will enjoy but it is certainly a very efficient, very comfortable tool when married to the right handle for you.

Jorvaljr and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I did put my MAMBA head on the Halo handle yesterday, just wanted to see how it felt, I liked the feel.

13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Mamba (Halo handle), Super Max BDT. With two shims the Mamba is still a very mild razor but managed just fine a two pass plus BBS head shave which is what I want from a mild razor. It's definitely a keeper. Next head shave will try without the shims.

[​IMG]

SpeedyPC, Linuxguile and Jorvaljr like this.
  14. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I have no whatsoever problem going 3 passes only with the Mamba and get DFS results but then I don't care for BBS considering I shave every night, I like to keep my skin intact most of the time

15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Another shave this morning, no shims, no problem.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  16. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Wow! This looks to be a real winner. Had I not just plunked down money on the Bronze Timeless, I would have ordered this immediately. I also like the one with the black head.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  17. BigMark83

The MJ90 ? That's not a bad razor either.

Knox likes this.
  18. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Yep, that's the one.

I just gave the Mamba info to my wife. Sounds like a good Christmas gift from the in-laws!

BigMark83 likes this.
  19. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTN November 2nd
    [​IMG]

RazoRock Mamba

I had my first shave with the Mamba last night and no better way to christen a new razor then with Arko and a GSB. Fabulous design on this razor and the fit and finish are impeccable. This razor is definitely on the mild side but offers a little more of an angle window then the Baby Smooth. The head design pretty much takes the guess work out of finding the angle and after that its just a matter of fine tuning. The weight of the stainless steel, the slickness of Arko, and the sharpness of the GSB really made for an effortless shave. After 3 passes I had a DFS which I'm sure will be upgraded to a BBS once I get this razor dialed in a bit more.

brit and Jorvaljr like this.