Cartridge Razor for Flying

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by COMPNOR, Aug 3, 2017.

1. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Evening,

So I've got two trips coming up that will involve flying. And if I can get away without checking a bag I'd like to. One thing is shaving. So I have my trusty electric, but I think I might be interested in a cart. I've been looking around, and it seems the Guard and Trac II are some dependable options. Any others?

I've got a few weeks to try. Thanks!

Keithmax likes this.
  2. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

I have used the Guard and it performs fine and it never clogs up. It is a single blade razor, so I needed two passes, just like my Double Edged super speed. You might consider using a rubber band to keep the clear plastic cover on the head. Mine kept falling off during travel.

Keithmax likes this.
  3. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Believe it or not BIC disposables aren't bad.

LevelupShaves likes this.
  4. COMPNOR

I'd like to try and keep my plastic trash footprint to a minimum. So ditching the head and keeping the handle is preferred.

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

In that case, I would try to find the nice quality Bump Guard metal handle (coated in black rubber) and some Dorco Trac II carts. There are no other non-plastic options readily available without mail order.

Keithmax likes this.
  6. COMPNOR

I accept there will be some plastic, so a plastic handle is acceptable. I'm just not interested in trashing the whole razor. Minimize and all.

And did you mean Bump Fighter?

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Take a DE and just hit a Walgreens on location for some generic Personna. I can't give a cart recommendation as I do not use them

mikewood likes this.
  8. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Take your favorite DE without blades. Pack a brush and some soap. Then when you get to your destination stop at a grocery, Walmart or pharmacy. Easy peasy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Ah, well in THAT case, I'd either hit up the blue/gray Dorco 2 blade Atra type from DG, or a SuperMax unit from Big Lots.

Yes, sorry, Fighter...

[​IMG]

One of the best aftermarket T-II handles ever.

jwr3265 and COMPNOR like this.
  10. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

No, they are horrific ;).

BaylorGator and COMPNOR like this.
  11. COMPNOR

I'll have to see what Walgreens/CVS looks like, but for Target/Walmart I've only seen overpriced VDH blades.

And then I'm stuck with an open tuck of blades, that I either mail myself home or just leave them behind.

Keithmax likes this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Mail DE blades in a letter to your hotel. Mark it "arriving guest" and it will be waiting for you.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011:

14. Bama Samurai

It would be illegal, and also invisible to x-ray and scanning, to place DE blades (wrapped in foil) in an empty Altoids tin.

Don't do it.

15. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I always read that advice, but I can tell you that it doesn't work on typical business trips. With one day in Denmark, two days in Sweden, a day in Norway, and then back home, it is a gamble when blades arrive in which hotel
    A Gillette G2 razor is a safer bet for business trips. You don't want to run the risk of having to visit your clients unshaved!

(And of course, you can substitute any countries you like ... my trip was just a recent example).

16. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Why not just check the bag? Take what you want.

wristwatchb, jwr3265 and Bama Samurai like this.
  17. Bama Samurai

Um. Yeah.

18. COMPNOR

Because it's sometimes nice not to have to go to the baggage claim, especially if it is a short trip.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Eeyore likes this.
  19. LSUfanBR

LSUfanBR Well-Known Member

The Schick Exacta 2 is a great travel handle for Atra style cartridges. It pivots very well, has a nice rubber grip, and the connector pieces are metal. I use it for travel so I don't risk losing my all-metal Atras.

Exacta2.jpg

EnglishChannel and COMPNOR like this.
  20. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Trac II is my go to for flying. No way I'd risk even a Super Speed due to the willy nilly security procedures.

wristwatchb likes this.