Hard to get a BBS on the head.

Discussion in 'Head shaving' started by Matt0210, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

I've been shaving my head with a DE for about a month now. Really good results. I don't know about the rest of you head shavers on here but it's REALLY hard to get BBS up there. The first pass is no problem getting all the visible hair but trying to get the little stubble I can feel ATG is tough. I guess I just don't have a lot of flat spaces to work with lol. It further complicates things because I'm not ambidextrous. Tough

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    Zykris, Carbide Mike and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

My DEs are generally too much work to get the stubble on the crown of my head super smooth (the Shake Sharp being the only exception) without resulting irritation. SEs and injectors are for me the way to go. Even they require some buffing on the crown but they are both sharp and smooth enough that I get no irritation. I never get cuts from the injectors, the old SEs requires a bit more caution.

3. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I don't even go for BBS. I have found that I need to use aggressive razors to get what I consider to be an acceptable shave. You might also need to add in an additional XTG pass before going ATG. I do 3 passes, WTG, XTG in one direction, XTG in the other direction. My skin can't handle ATG. But that 3 pass routine gets me to DFS as long as I'm using an aggressive razor.

Zykris, Carbide Mike and Matt0210 like this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I stopped using a DE for my head shaves, I can get a good shave with an injector. I now use Schick Xtreme cartridge razors, I probably get 7-10 shaves per cart.

Zykris, Carbide Mike and Matt0210 like this.
  5. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I get a good shave with most DE razors. I only shave from front to back and never go in any other direction. I take 2 or 3 passes and have a pretty much Cue Ball Smooth shave (CBS). If I use my Trac II, I will shave in different directions and always have a CBS result.

Enrico, Zykris, Carbide Mike and 2 others like this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    CBS...that's funny!! :happy097:

7. Dirtbuddy

Dirtbuddy New Member

I get bbs shaves with my DE without issue using my 34C.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Matt0210 and Carbide Mike like this.
  8. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I only shave with the grain and I use my black beauty on 9 with a good blade. So, 1 pass is all I need to get DFS.

Matt0210 likes this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

DFS is a LOT easier than BBS on my head. It takes a very sharp and fresh blade and most of my DEs struggle with really smooting the stubble on the crown to a BBS. My Artist Club razors can do this without excessive buffing , as can a couple of my injectors.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

jgreenepa and Matt0210 like this.
  10. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I settle for a CCS. I just go WTG and XTG.

jgreenepa and Triplemilled like this.
  11. Triplemilled

Triplemilled Member

I NEVER go for BBS on my head EVER! You're asking for trouble. I hate to say it but if you want BBS on your head you're gonna have to go back to carts.. is the extra $$$ every year worth it to you? Having to shave my head and my face is one of the reasons I moved to DE shaving because it was just so dang expensive.

jgreenepa and BigMark83 like this.
  12. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I find that skin stretching is the key to getting a DFS/BBS. A slant razor has really helped in that department also.

13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Heads are as different as faces. I get BBS on my head just fine thanks, and no carts.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

jgreenepa likes this.
  14. targa88

targa88 Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree.
    Dome busting offers different types of challenges. Hard round surfaces, something that can’t be seen.
    That being said.
    BBS with SE and Injectors all the time.
    Weapons of choice : GEM Micromatic and PAL Injectomatic.
    There are razors that work well on my face that just require too much effort for the dome busting. So I can’t justify lugging around two different razors while travelling.

jgreenepa and Zykris like this.
  15. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

I shave my head in the shower with Williams Mug and a Dorco Comfort Thin 2. I do this for 2 reason.....1) Speed - this takes me about 5 minutes to achieve DFS which is perfect for a head shave.....2) I have a birthmark on the back of my head and every time I have tried to shave with a DE, I get cut. I hope you find the right process to achieve the perfect head shave. Good luck !!!

16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

You raise a point that needs raising; an adjustable may be the way to go, because the setting that works on your face may be different from the one that works on your dome.

17. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I'm scared like hell to even try shaving my head!

jgreenepa likes this.
  18. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

I shave my head with a SE and a good blade . Had the doors come loose on my super speed and it gouged me bad . Lots of lather , skin stretching and 2 passes gets me BBS every time. Cartridge razors couldn't hold a candle to the feather weight SE. All heads are different shapes but that's what works for me .

jgreenepa, MR41 and wchnu like this.
  19. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I found it easier than shaving my face.

20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I use a Merkur 23c with Astra SP blade. I go basically front to back with one pass. I also occasionally use a pain stick, but only when I've let it get too long to use the 23c without clogging all the time. That takes more time and care but it's fun to do. I don't worry about BBS at that point (or CBS I suppose - the old cue ball as was stated on here) because my finishing pass is always a "Heisenberg". In the shower with a twin blade disposable for a quick pass over my entire head to catch any spots I missed.

9nein9 likes this.