How to eliminate rust

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Alex7, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

Hello. What is a good method to eliminate rust of a safety razor and other metal tools(scissors for example)?

2. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Keep them DRY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigMike likes this.
  3. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Regular wipe down with oil.

BUT, in over a half century I have never had a razor rust.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Same here. Never had a razor rust.
    Keep 'em oiled. Keep 'em dry when not in use. Store in a dry place.
    Applies to all tools.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Most safety razors are made of materials that wont rust or are resistant to rust. To remove rust from other tools a little WD-40 and some steel wool should do the trick.

6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Most vintage safety razors are plated brass, which doesn't rust.
    But, being I use Straight Razors, and live in Houston, I use a light coating of mineral oil on them, after each use.

7. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

A scotchbrite pad and some wd-40. Keeping them dry is key in preventing rust. I've never personally had a DE razor rust on me, I used to have it happen with blades though, which always made me question the quality of DE blades. A quality stainless shouldn't start to rust after 3 shaves.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

8. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

dry them out and the blade after every shave

9. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Rinse it well and shake it dry. Clean it once a week with Scrubbing Bubbles when you change the blade.
    While it's true that most razors won't rust, many will develop corrosion or have some plating flake off if abused. I've ruined a couple of razors over the years, mostly throught accidentally banging them against the faucet while rinsing. A lot of folks here treat their razors like heirlooms, but I figure that if I pay 50 bucks for a razor and get 10 or 15 good years out of it, then it was a damn good deal and I don't feel bad for not babbying it.
    For removing rust (on razors or in general) I like CLR. Be sure to rinse well and treat with a light oil afterwards.

10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

+1 to everything stated above. Vintage DE razors are typically brass and plated with nickel. Keep them clean and dry and they should be fine.

If you have straight razors, it’s a different story. If they won’t be used for an extended period, wipe them with a fine coat of oil. I use mineral oil.