DE Pack Review

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Zykris, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Today's event: Three pass face/head shave. Gear Used:
    Razor: RazoRock Slant German 37
    Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless
    Brush: 25mm Quarter Moon Custom handle (https://www.etsy.com/shop/TurnNShave )
    Soap: Maggard's Leather and Tobacco
    Aftershave: Gentleman Jon's Alum Block followed by Avon Black Suede After Shave Balm

The Feather blade has smoothed out nicely and giving some hell of a shaves! @Engblom nailed it on his last post. I can see Feather blades getting into my top five now that my technique has gotten better. No irritation on my face or head. Just on my neck. Catch ya on the next shave.

Linuxguile and BigMark83 like this.
  2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Today's event: Three pass face shave. Gear Used:
    Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (3rd Use)
    Brush: 25mm Full Moon handle (https://www.etsy.com/shop/TurnNShave )
    Soap: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
    Aftershave: Gentleman Jon's Alum Block followed by Nivea Sensitive Unscented

Went again for the third day in a row on a face shave. I'm starting to really like the Feather after it smooths out after the first use. Takes whiskers down like a pro! Loving it! Stay tuned for tomorrows head and face shave to see if the blade holds up!

Linuxguile likes this.
  3. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I forgot to log in my other day face and head shave. It was the same gear as above but the blade went out near the tail end of my head shave. But I got what I call four good uses out of the Feather blade. So with that experience now under my belt, here is my ranking.

Current ranking:
    1: Sputnik. For the really comfortable smoothness of the blade.
    1. Gillette Rubie Plantinum. This blade has tied the Sputnik Teflon Coated easily in my mind. Very smooth. I could barely feel the sharpness but it mowed whiskers like a boss.
    2. Personna Lab Blue. For a lovely balance for smoothness and sharpness. What treat!
    3. Astra SP. For the sharpness and mid range smoothness, longevity of the blade.
    3. Feather Hi Stainles. I have another tie between the Astra and the Feather. Reason being the Astra has a long life span for me but the Feather has raw cutting power if somewhat irritating a little more on the first pass but smoothed out nicely on my subsequent passes.
    4. Gillette 7'Clock SP. Pretty good blade with mid range sharpness. The two before it had better performance IMO.
    5. Gillette Super Thin Platinum. A rather enjoyable blade that gave me 4 good uses of smooth shaving with a nice degree of sharpness.
    6. Supermax Superior Platinum. Mid grade on smoothness and sharpness. The previous four still stand out in my mind after so long. But this one stood out enough to get into my top five.
    7. Voshkod. The blade was smooth but it didn't last long for me. Sharpness is not near Sputnik IMO.
    8. NEW Lord Platinum Class. Smooth, comfortable. Sharp enough to get the job done. Not a top five but definitely worth considering for future purchases.
    9. Ladas Super Stainless. It wasn't a favorite of mine. Certain parts of my face/head where other blades excelled overall, this one was tuggy. Low grade for me on sharpness/smoothness.
    9. Rapira Platinum Lux. Same as the Ladas blade but the smoothness on it was a tad bit better. The sharpness was pretty good but I had mixed feelings on the blade.
    10. Perma Sharp Super. Very smooth and comfortable with decent sharpness. But only good for one use.
    11. BiC Chrome. Very sharp, mid range smooth. Very irritating blade.
    12. Treet. Just did not work out for me. Not really that sharp, not really that smooth either.

Today's event: Three pass faceshave. Gear Used:
    Blade: Gillette Nacet Stainless
    Soap: Stirling Soap Bay Rum
    Aftershave: Gentleman Jon's Alum Block followed by Stirling's Unscented Glacial Aftershave Balm

I have the Gillette Nacet blade a shot. After having a lot of bad experiences with Stainless blades, minus a few, I was prepared for a very unpleasant shave. But the Nacet surprised with enough cutting power to take the whiskers down with a relatively decent smoothness to the edge. I'm surprised yet again! I'm giving my face a rest after, I think, four days of consecutive shaving and just do a head shave tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Linuxguile likes this.
  4. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Today's event: Three pass head shave. Gear Used:
    Blade: Gillette Nacet Stainless
    Soap: Ingram Shave Cream
    Aftershave: Gentleman Jon's Alum Block followed by Stirling's Unscented Glacial Aftershave Balm

Today's head shave went just as good as yesterdays! The blade is holding up very well for it's second use on a two day growth on the ol' noggin. Mild stinging from the alum block but that's the fact of life for me. So far I'm intrigued on how all of the blades have done for me and I still have about a dozen or more to go through before I see where the blades fall into line for me. Still pretty psyched about doing this test. Tomorrow as much as I want to go back at it with a face shave, I'll give my skin another day to rest before going back to my routine. Have a good night and a better tomorrow everyone!

5. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Today's event: Three pass head/face shave. Gear Used:
    Blade: Gillette Nacet Stainless (3rd Use)
    Brush: Omega Boar 20106 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BEJJ6RE/?tag=thshde-20
    Soap: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
    Preshave: Sweet Almond Oil

After giving my skin some time to heal up from consistent days in a row of shaving, it was go time. First I applied some sweet almond oil to the ol noggin and face. Meaningwhile, after soaking my boar brush, I went in and dug in deep for a big load. That boar brush is a pleasure to use. I decided to go for my neglected boar brushes after using synthetics for quite some time. With a little convinving, I was able to get a nice creamy, rich lather. Applied first to my face and then went to work testing the Nacet blade. It's still going great! Took down about 36 hours of hair with not a complaint. WTG, XTG XTG reverse. Nothing. No nicks, burn or anything. It was a rather pleasant face shave! Next was my stubborn head. Lathered it up but I ran out of lather, so back to the drawing board. Doesn't bother me if I have to go back to the tub. Finished lathering and went WTG, XTG, ATG. The blade still did it's job nicely! My alum block didn't send off any alarms this time. I literally felt no sting. I think the sweet almond oil and giving my skin time to recoup was a good move. I'm very pleased with the shave and the blade. :)

6. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Blade: Gillette Nacet Stainless (4rd Use)
    Soap: MItchell's Wool Fat

I had a three pass face shave the other day. Forgot to log it in. Still a damn good shave. Today I had a head/face shave. The head worked out decently but by the time the second pass came about on the face, I knew the blade was crapping out. Luckily, I finished my face shave, with a few nicks involved. Here's where I'd rank the Gillette Nacet Stainless.

Current ranking:
    1. Gillette Rubie Plantinum. This blade has tied the Sputnik Teflon Coated easily in my mind. Very smooth. I could barely feel the sharpness but it mowed whiskers like a boss.
    2. Personna Lab Blue. For a lovely balance for smoothness and sharpness. What treat!
    3. Astra SP. For the sharpness and mid range smoothness, longevity of the blade.
    3. Feather Hi Stainles. I have another tie between the Astra and the Feather. Reason being the Astra has a long life span for me but the Feather has raw cutting power if somewhat irritating a little more on the first pass but smoothed out nicely on my subsequent passes.
    4. Gillette 7'Clock SP. Pretty good blade with mid range sharpness. The two before it had better performance IMO.
    5. Gillette Super Thin Platinum. A rather enjoyable blade that gave me 4 good uses of smooth shaving with a nice degree of sharpness.
    6. Gillette Nacet Stainless. Nice smoothness and sharpness. For me, it didn't stand out against the crowd but I did like it for the time I did use it.
    7. Supermax Superior Platinum. Mid grade on smoothness and sharpness. The previous four still stand out in my mind after so long. But this one stood out enough to get into my top five. ( Now with more uses of different blades, it's not as good as I thought )
    9. Voshkod. The blade was smooth but it didn't last long for me. Sharpness is not near Sputnik IMO.
    10. NEW Lord Platinum Class. Smooth, comfortable. Sharp enough to get the job done. Not a top five but definitely worth considering for future purchases.
    11. Ladas Super Stainless. It wasn't a favorite of mine. Certain parts of my face/head where other blades excelled overall, this one was tuggy. Low grade for me on sharpness/smoothness.
    12. Rapira Platinum Lux. Same as the Ladas blade but the smoothness on it was a tad bit better. The sharpness was pretty good but I had mixed feelings on the blade.
    13. Perma Sharp Super. Very smooth and comfortable with decent sharpness. But only good for one use.
    14. BiC Chrome. Very sharp, mid range smooth. Very irritating blade.
    15. Treet. Just did not work out for me. Not really that sharp, not really that smooth either.

7. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Blade: Shark Stainless
    Brush: 25mm Angel knot handle (https://www.etsy.com/shop/TurnNShave )
    Soap: Chiseled Face Santa Paula Citrus
    Aftershave: Gentleman Jon's Alum Block followed by Avon Black Suede

Took the Shark blade for a spin today after a mild one pass face shave last night. Seems like a decent blade. Gets the whiskers down, I did find I had to do a little more buffing than I would with other blades. Seems moderately smooth. Got some feedback from the alum block but no more than my usual. I'm really liking the continuation of the blade testing. Thanks to all who contributed!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  8. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Blade: Shark Stainless (2nd Use)
    Soap: Stirling Well Dressed Man
    Aftershave: Gentleman Jon's Alum Block followed by Avon Black Suede

Shark went for another round today. No bites. And it seems to going downhill but I may be able to squeeze a third use out of it before I have to chuck it. I'm neither impressed no dissatisfied with it. It's kind of in that neutral zone. Can't call that a lose.

9. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Blade: Sharp Hi Chromium Durablade
    Soap: Maggards Tobbaco & Leather
    Aftershave: Gentleman Jon's Alum Block followed by Stirling Unscented Glacial

Kind of had a split shave. Did a three pass face shave with the Sharp blade after the Shark took a crash. Comfortable. Very comfortable. Same results with my head shave just a little while ago. So far my impressions are good. Better than the Shark. I find it more on the comfortable side than outright sharp. That's alright by me. Stay tuned.

Current ranking:
    6. Gillette Nacet Stainless. Nice smoothness and sharpness. For me, it didn't stand out against the crowd but I did like it for the time I did use it.
    7. Supermax Superior Platinum. Mid grade on smoothness and sharpness. The previous four still stand out in my mind after so long. But this one stood out enough to get into my top five. ( Now with more uses of different blades, it's not as good as I thought )
    9. Voshkod. The blade was smooth but it didn't last long for me. Sharpness is not near Sputnik IMO.
    10. NEW Lord Platinum Class. Smooth, comfortable. Sharp enough to get the job done. Not a top five but definitely worth considering for future purchases.
    10. Shark. It gave decent shaves but it wasn't nothing spectacular for me.
    11. Ladas Super Stainless. It wasn't a favorite of mine. Certain parts of my face/head where other blades excelled overall, this one was tuggy. Low grade for me on sharpness/smoothness.
    12. Rapira Platinum Lux. Same as the Ladas blade but the smoothness on it was a tad bit better. The sharpness was pretty good but I had mixed feelings on the blade.
    13. Perma Sharp Super. Very smooth and comfortable with decent sharpness. But only good for one use.
    15. Treet. Just did not work out for me. Not really that sharp, not really that smooth either.

Linuxguile likes this.
  10. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

This really shows how shaving is YMMV. While most blades give some sort of shaving, Sharp branded blades do not work at all for me. It really is like I would have forgotten to load a blade, as it looks like all the whiskers are still there after each stroke. For me they are not even sharp enough to tug and pull, like Derby. Instead the blade is just climbing over the whiskers.

My wife thought they have to be good when they are called "Sharp", so once when my father in law visited, she gave a such blade to him to shave with and he could not get them to slice either.

Zykris likes this.
  11. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Today's event: Three pass face shave. Gear Used:
    Blade: Sharp Hi Chromium Durablade( 2nd Use)
    Soap: Maggards Tobbaco & Leather

Skipping the head shave till tomorrow. I did a three pass face shave in the wee hours of the morning. Felt ok but it degraded as the passes went. Still got a good shave but my alum block gave me the indication that the blade was no longer worth using with that kind of feedback. (Late owl, so I wasn't tired.) Time to rank the blade.

Current ranking:
    10. NEW Lord Platinum Class. Smooth, comfortable. Sharp enough to get the job done. Not a top five but definitely worth considering for future purchases.10. Shark. It gave decent shaves but it wasn't nothing spectacular for me.
    11. Sharp Hi Chromium Durablade. An ok blade. Not stellar but it was ok for the first use and barely made it through the second use.

jtspartan likes this.
  12. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Today's event: Three pass head shave. Gear Used:
    Blade: Super Platinum
    Soap: Palmolive Shave Cream

Decided to go with just a head shave. The new Super Platinum blade did very well. No nicks, cuts or anything. Smoothness was good, sharpness was good. It was all good!

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  13. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Today's event: Three pass faceshave.
    Gear Used:
    Brush: 24mm Ange Knot (https://www.etsy.com/shop/TurnNShave )
    Soap: Maggards Tobacco and Leather
    Aftershave: Gentleman Jon's Alum Block followed by Homemade Aftershave Splash (Contains Witch Hazel, Aloe Vera, miniscule amount of Vodka, scented Opium)

Three pass face shave was excellent! It was very comfortable and effortless. BBS practically with WTG, XTG, XTG passes. No complaints at all!

jtspartan likes this.
  14. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Today's event: Three pass faceshave.
    Gear Used:
    Brush: 25mm quarter moon custom handle (https://www.etsy.com/shop/TurnNShave )
    Soap: Mystery Cream Sample A

Great shave! Blade is holding up well. Hoping for many more uses of this blade. I'm liking it.

15. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Today's event: Three pass head shave
    Gear Used:
    Blade: Super Platinum ( 3rd use )
    Brush: 25mm full moon knot (https://www.etsy.com/shop/TurnNShave )
    Soap: Mystery Cream Sample B

Lathered up some myster cream from another thread and went for a three pass head shave. The blade is starting to have a little harder time keeping up unlike the last time I used it for a head shave. Of course, it's had some use in between. It took a little more buffing in some areas and a lot of touch up. I think the blade is done but I liked it. Ranking time.

4. Super Platinum. This blade got tied up in the fourth place with the Gillette 7'Clock SP. I was impressed by it's performance. Nice combo of sharpness/smoothness.
    10. NEW Lord Platinum Class. Smooth, comfortable. Sharp enough to get the job done. Not a top five but definitely worth considering for future purchases.10. Shark. It gave decent shaves but it wasn't nothing spectacular for me.
    11. Sharp Hi Chromium Durablade. An ok blade. Not stellar but it was ok for the first use and barely made it through the second use.

SpeedyPC likes this.
  16. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Taking a mild break from DE's to try out injector and Gem SE's. Back to DE's in a few shaves.

17. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Gear Used:
    Blade: Derby Extra
    Soap: Mystery Cream Sample F

First use of the Derby Extra blade. It performed I would say decently. Kind of the middle of the road type of blade for me. Left my head almost BBS after three passes. Can't complain. :)

: Sputnik. For the really comfortable smoothness of the blade.
    4. Super Platinum. This blade got tied up in the fourth place with the Gillette 7'Clock SP. I was impressed by it's performance. Nice combo of sharpness/smoothness.
    5. Super Platinum. After reviewing my comments on the blade, I decided it deserved a spot in the top five for a tie with the Gillette Super Thin Platinum.

18. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Gear Used:
    Blade: Derby Extra (2)
    Soap: Mystery Cream Sample H

Did it jobs again very well! It smoothed out a bit which made it highly enjoyable. Still pondering the grade it'll get but it's doing well at getting at the whiskers.

Linuxguile likes this.
  19. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Gear Used:
    Blade: Derby Extra (3)
    Brush: 25mm angel knot (https://www.etsy.com/shop/TurnNShave )
    Soap: Mystery Cream Sample L

Three pass head shave with the Derby blade went well. It definitely is starting to lose it's edge though so it took a few more passes than normal. But the job got done. Smooth and little irritation. Kinda liking the blade. sort of. It's confusing. lol

Linuxguile likes this.
  20. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Gear Used:
    Blade: Derby Extra (4)
    Soap: Ingram Shave Cream

Derby made it's final shave today. It ran a good run. Not bad.

:1. Sputnik. For the really comfortable smoothness of the blade.
    5. Super Platinum. After reviewing my comments on the blade, I decided it deserved a spot in the top five for a tie with the Gillette Super Thin Platinum.
    8. Derby Extra Stainless. It gave a good run as a smooth blade.